Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with glasses - what to do??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
get lenses.

It makes such a huge difference, and well worth the initial faffing around getting them in.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chameleon001 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My first post here and I will be going on my first ski holiday in January.

I wear glasses all the time so have been looking at options of either OTG goggles, Goggles with prescription lens inserts or just getting contact lenses to wear when skiing so I can just wear whatever goggles I want.

What is the general consensus on the best thing to do, how to other people find OTG's, do they mist up a lot? I would hate to go skiing and spend half my time being fogged up!

Thanks,

Dan

Smith Knowledge OTG Turbo Fan
http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/snowboard-c23/equipment-c89/goggles-c110/knowledge-otg-turbo-fan-sensor-mirror-lens

These look good, and under £100 - don't wear glasses so can't comment, but looking at reviews they're recommended by people that do!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been around the houses with this one and ended up with Addidas ID2 goggles with prescription inserts.

I started off OK using daily contacts but my eyes are borderline dry for contacts. Fine for a few hours of normal wear, or in the snowplow when everything's happening nice and slow and you get to blink a lot, not so good when you get going faster/visibility drops and you're staring. It's not much fun when the edge of the lens gets too try and scratches the inside of your eyelid half way down a mountain. It needs to come out but the last thing your body wants to let you do is let you poke around at your eye! Clearly not a problem for 90% of people but if you're told your eyes are on the dry side when you have a contact lens consultation something to consider.

Goggles over glasses worked - until you got any glass lens fogging at which point you'd get it every time you stopped for more than 10s. One option is expensive OTG goggles but if you're due a new pair look out for "free second pair" offers. Some cheap goggles and a pair of free frames you can bend so they fit in also works.

All that lead me to prescription inserts and, well I wouldn't go back. Yes the price does lead to a little buttock-clenching but, I think because the insert sits further away from your face I've not had the fogging issues I had with OTG. There is a down side of course - depending on prescription you may been to carry a pair of normal glasses in your pocket, so you can see where you're going in restaurants at lunch, etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chameleon001,

I have skied at least 50 weeks with OTG goggles (and a helmet) with no real problems at all. Most of this being freeriding/backcountry skiing. I use a pair of UVEX OTG goggles for flat light, and some Bolle versions for Bluebird days. Both models were around forty pounds. I suffer little or no fogging up. I have found using a helmet and putting my goggles on the lid, whilst travelling on the lift or gondola to be helpful. If it is snowing or very humid then I ensure that I lift the frames off my face (for a bit) whilst travelling up on the lift. I also ensure that they are not a tight fit on my face, I have made extension straps for my Bolles so they are resting over my face and not clamped down too tight. Skiing through the trees on really humid, mildish, and snowy days has been a pain when I have had to stop and wait, but a quick wipe of the glasses before setting off sorts this - but this has rarely been needed. It was a nightmare before I wore a helmet. I would put the goggles up and they could be completely steamed up. I always have a supply of tissues on me, and a spare pair of goggles in case of a disaster anyway. I find it no bother at all wearing OTG goggles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a pair of prescription Sunglasses that are like a hybrid between a Sunglass and a goggle.

Google UKsporteyewear I have a pair of Dixons, they are like overlarge sunglasses the lens pop out and you can buy multiple lens. I have a pair of Grey tint for sunny days and Orange tint for flat light.

The frames also come with a second frame that inserts to form a seal between the glasses and your face like a goggle which is great in blizzard but it pops off when you don't need it. I carry the spare frame thing and the lens in a normal glasses case with a pair of old battered specs.

So sunny day these on just like a pair of sunnies, white out, swap out the lens to orange, and put on the goggle attachment, inside a restaurent swap to specs.

I actually don't bother with the specs that much, if its sunny we eat outside and i keep the sunnys on, white out I am inside and can see well enough with the orange and my eyesight is not that bad that I can take them off completely if I don't fancy doing a Bono impression that day.

I find this works really well for me as I have never got on with Goggles.

G
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HutToHut wrote:
@snowbunny, -15

Respect Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here I found the link.

I am in no way affiliated with UkSPortseyewear and include this link for reference, I bought them 2 years ago, someone else may do them cheaper so have a look on UKSPorteywear, get the model number DIXON TAC-RX and then google to see if anyone else is cheaper Smile

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/277/dixon-prescription-ski-goggles-glasses
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went into S&R the other day, tried on some Bolle Y6 OTG Citrus Gun Goggles with an Anon blitz helmet, both seemed to work quite well together. As this is my first ski col I think I will be sensible and just try these (relatively) inexpensive goggles and see how I get on.

Thanks for all your help
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have tried lots of options. the colder it is the harder to stop the fogging. I run HOT so its a real problem. I have goggles with a fan - they are good, but I use addidas ( i thin they are called evil eye?!) with an insert most of the time - i have various lenses for different conditions - but I haven't tried them in super cold temps. in truth my eyesight is so poor I generally carry both options with me and spare glasses too!

I am +5 in both eyes, so no laser surgery for me!

My brother has used a helmet with a visor and reported excellent results.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My dad is going skiing for the first time whilst requiring glasses (he skiied before around 7yrs ago without glasses) hes just been fitted some prescription goggles from a place in wigan check them out http://www.optiqueboutique.co.uk/index.php
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could always look at some OTG goggles for this trip, then when (not if) your bitten by the bug look at the insert or contact lens option.

Heres a few goggles which are both OTG and insert compatible

Oakley Flight deck and Oakley Flight deck XM

Anon M3
Anon MIG
Anon relapse
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I couldn't bear OTG goggles and went with the insert option pretty much as soon as I became aware of it. Combination of comfort, fogging and faff making the decision for me. It is almost like normal goggles - put them on and you are done. I currently have the ID2 and have had minimal fogging. They are pretty much perfect.

The question is whether or not you want to spend money now and then risk spending more money later. Or whether you want to eat the cost of the insert route (or lenses - I cannot stand lenses) now. One option would be to check which OTG options are compatible with either a manufacturer's own insert or one of the universal ones available from RX Sport. You would then easily be able to upgrade your existing goggles.

As someone with a strong prescription (+5) and a significant astigmatism, I have not usually been able to get wrap sunglasses. I have a pair of Bolle wrap sunglasses on order at the moment as they seem to have made some sort of breakthrough with glazing strong prescriptions. We'll see. I'll feedback when they arrive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
irie wrote:
Steveee wrote:
pam w wrote:
I have one long distance contact lens and one short so I can read menus too.

A friend had laser eye surgery and he had it done for one long distance and one short. The funny this is that when skiing in a white out he gets sea sick Laughing

I was offered that but turned it down figuring that binocular vision must be messed up. I road raced motorcycles for the last 10 years and binocular vision is 'quite handy' when you're heading towards a corner at 150+ and trying to spot your braking point. wink

"I have one long distance contact lens and one short so I can read menus too"

Me too -- it's called "monovision". Took me about 4 hours to adapt to it about 30 years ago. It takes some people much longer and some never do and have to give up. It doesn't noticeably affect my depth perception during most activities, though it's not permitted when flying (in the cockpit, that is!)

Over the years, I have been skiing a couple of times whilst suffering from conjunctivitis and been unable to wear my lenses. Then I just wear varifocal specs and OTG goggles and they work fine for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy