Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after partial knee replacement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to go skiing again after partial knee replacement surgery April 2015. I usually ski 2 weeks/year; off & on piste. Level: pretty good. Any recommendations for getting back on skis; wearing a brace etc Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DTB, there are a few reports about this on here. Try a search. Good luck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski with a guide who has had a half knee done, its been a huge success.

Ive seen many people get back to skiing after both partial and full knee replacement.

@brnttptr has reported one his experience.

the rehab is crucial to the success.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @DTB, One of my friends had a partial done in May this year (45) - after 8-10 weeks we ran a 10K together and he smoked me. He has no issues - we will ski together for 2 weeks at Christmas and are going heli skiing to Alaska in March. He does lots of cycling and various boot camps and I honestly don't think he even thinks about his knee anymore.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a half knee done 30th October 13 and skied 8 weeks later at new year then had other knee done 20 Jan 14 and skied 9 weeks later at easter.
I use a ski mojo to protect them and cut down the wear now and I get no problems at all. I am thrilled with my new joints and now have no pain from them at all. I did not have much pain during the recovery. The surgury took the pain away straight away.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DTB I had a partial knee replacement in April 2014 (age 54) at Wimbledon Clinics (Jonathan Bell) and was skiing again in Dec 2014.

I have made some detailed posts about the knee op on here which might be of interest.

In my opinion the key to skiing after the op is a determined and positive attitude and following any ski specific exercises you are given . In my case
5 x 1hour per week.

If you can lose any weight that is also a big help as every 1lb you lose takes 4lbs of pressure off the knee.
I also found using narrower skis than usual took more pressure off my knee and was great post op.

I had my one year check up in April this year and everything was fine and my exercise programme was reduced to 3 x a week. I had my first mornings
skiing this week on the Schnalstal Glacier and felt even more solid than last season and was back to my normal skis.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would tape the knee as much as possible. I've recently become a huge fan of taping. It's a great support without the bulkiness of a wrap/brace. http://kingbrand.com/KB-Support-Tape.php?REF=46PV173.276
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Farmboy wrote:
I had a half knee done 30th October 13 and skied 8 weeks later .

8 weeks Shocked

Perhaps its in the name. One of my patients was baling hay at about 8 weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brnttptr,

Nice to hear you have managed an early ski

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What was the make of the replacement knee as well as the model (Stryker,,,scorpian etc. this is the model my Dr. uses). Any further info you can provide would be great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My dad had the lower half of his knee replaced in April 2014 and skied the following season, he was on his feet pretty much straight away after the opp.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
deputydogs wrote:
What was the make of the replacement knee as well as the model (Stryker,,,scorpian etc. this is the model my Dr. uses). Any further info you can provide would be great.

I use the Oxford Knee but they are all much the same. Its probably more important who does it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy