Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid December - A long weekend - Flying to GVA

Poster: A snowHead
I have come across some stupidly cheap return flights to GVA from Friday to Monday that is making a long weekend look very attractive. In fact, the price is so cheap that if I didn't use the flight it would not be the end of the world. I know that most peoples crystal balls give up trying to foresee this but if I did book these flights where would my best chance of a decent weekend be for me and my 8 year old, baring in mind that he is far from being a beginner. Ideally it would be as close to GVA as possible but also high enough to have snow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your best bet would be Verbier - they go all out to make sure at least some of the resort is open as early as possible. Even with an apartment in Cham last winter, I went to Verbier in December to ski.

If the snow fall comes, then Chamonix will certainly open some areas up (Les Houches are always keen to say they opened early!) and I would think some other surrounding areas too e.g. Portes du Soleil.

Your best bet will be to wait and see - you shouldn't have an issue finding accommodation and transfers last minute at that time. If you struggle with big companies, then AirBNB have lots of accom in Verbier and Chamonix, and there are plenty of Genevois on blablacar who will help with 'transfers'.

Edit: If you're willing to take the travel time, then 3V and Espace Killy will have been open for a couple of weeks at least - but they are further away...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fixx, thanks. Trying to keep the journey to 2 hours of less so EK and 3V would be a bit too far. We are in EK in March so keen to try somewhere else. I have a free weekend car hire to use up so don't even need to rely on transfers. Flight arrives in GVA at 9:45 on Friday and leaves again at 10:20 so hoping to get 2.5 days in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flaine opens on 12 December and should be a reasonably safe bet - short transfer, too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done the same recently - Avios out late Fri night, Easyjet back Sunday night, £29 return each. Rental cars are surprisingly pricey at this notice tho'!

Argentiere opens 12th Dec assuming there's snow; if not then Flaine et al won't be open either (last Xmas I recall Flaine refunding lift passes). As fixx has mentioned, Verbier is the most reliable place within easy reach of GVA.

If you come to Cham, your 8-yr old can try racing mine... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave wrote:

If you come to Cham, your 8-yr old can try racing mine... Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oscar would love that!

I'm getting EDI-GVA-EDI with easyJet for £65 for the 2 of us. As an easyJet Plus card holder I get free seats reservations and Speedy Boarding for me. We should be able to get a couple of sets of skis (need to restrict Oscar to his K2 Juvys) and our gear in a double ski bag along with hand luggage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+ 1 for Verbier, take the train to Martigny, then up Verbier via Le Chable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to the Verbier website it doesn't open until 17th December and I'm looking to go the previous weekend. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's difficult to make firm plans at this stage. I'd aim for Flaine but not book any accommodation yet and be prepared to drive to Tignes if necessary. Last year was exceptionally bad but lightning can strike twice in the same place!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gaza, if they can open at least some sectors earlier they will - they just don't officially say they are open so they can do lots of promo about how wonderful they are being able to open early Smile They had some limited skiing available at the start of Dec last year!

As you have the free car rental also then do leave it last minute - you are in a very fortunate position, and I'm sure something will be open close to Geneva.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gaza, if you decide to come to cham, drop me a pm and we can meet up. The 8-yr olds can race each other and we can sit in the pub.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowdave, that sounds like a superb plan. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd book the flights and a hire car and assess the resorts a week before - accom will not be short at that time of the year and you can do the cost benefit analysis of travel time vs good skiing time. My mate uses that flight each time he visits me in Tignes - and last year we had to wait 10 mins before we could buy a half day pass. That included the hire car faff, parking, changing and a spot of lunch.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, what time does a Tignes half day pass start? Realistically how long would it take from GVA to Tignes on a Friday in a car? If we did venture further afield I'd probably look to leave on the Sunday evening and get closer to GVA. No point in staying Sunday night in-resort only to have to get up a silly o'clock.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gaza, if you end up as far away as Tignes, I'd defo leave Sunday and overnight at the airport. Or even somewhere in town. For an early flight it'll be a 15 min taxi.
snow report
@Gaza, Where did you read that Verbier opens on December 17? It would be very late and unusual. The official opening date as communicated by televerbier is November 29/30 this year. On the 5th they hope to get Savoleyres and Bruson open and Mont Gele is planned to open on the 12th - this one is a bit optimistic, but I like their optimism Smile
snow conditions
http://www.verbierbooking.com/multimedia/docs/2015/07/Hiver_2015-2016.pdf
snow conditions
@never summer, on here - http://verbier.skipass-4vallees.ch/en/

It won't let you select a date earlier than 17th December so I assumed that was when it opened.
ski holidays
Doesn't let me select a date before 18th December Smile But it will open on the 29.11.
snow report
@Gaza,
"Trying to keep the journey to 2 hours of less so EK and 3V would be a bit too far."

Geneva to Val Thorens is usually usually 2 hours 15 minutes drive (via Annecy), so only a quarter of an hour over your 2 hour threshold. If you park at St Martin and ski from there on arrival day you would be there in under 2 hours.

Although we prefer to drive via Annecy nowadays, we did however once make it in 2 hours to Val T from Geneva, via the Chambery motorway. So you could reach St Martin in 15 or 20 minutes less than that. Very Happy

Also, if you decide to go to Val T you can hire skis from Goitschel Sport in the town. If you rent from them for Saturday and Sunday, they let you pick up your gear from 1pm the day before at no extra charge. Booking ski hire on line for a couple of days could well be cheaper than taking your own with Easyjet , and less hassle. You could then leg it with your hand luggage straight to car hire on arrival and avoid waiting for any checked in skis to turn up.
latest report
As Fixx says .. Verbier would be good just a train ride away.
snow conditions
@DrLawn & @fixx - is it pointless getting a hire car for going to Verbier even thought it won't cost me anything other than fuel? Also, is there such a think as "reasonably priced accommodation" there?
ski holidays
Meribel/Courchevel/La Tania are all opening on December 5th and are two hours from Geneva airport if you take the motorways. Even with a two hour drive you can be in the snow by lunch time Friday and get a half day in.
I do a short trip in December most years and it's a great time to go, empty slopes and cheap accommodation.
If you are worried about lack of snow don't book anywhere until a few days before and you will be fine.
Even last year when there was little snow anywhere we drove to Cervinia from Geneva in two and a half hours and had a few good days in the snow.
Avioraz might also be an option.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
I'd book the flights and a hire car and assess the resorts a week before - accom will not be short at that time of the year and you can do the cost benefit analysis of travel time vs good skiing time. My mate uses that flight each time he visits me in Tignes - and last year we had to wait 10 mins before we could buy a half day pass. That included the hire car faff, parking, changing and a spot of lunch.

One big bonus of 'Booking.com' is that lots of accommodation does have free cancellation options - so you can come up with a plan 'b' if the weather forces you to.
snow report
@Gaza, I've both driven and taken the train to Verbier - depends on the accommodation whether you can park there (I have done, right in the centre) or leave it at the bottom and get the cable car up into Verbier proper.

Reasonably priced accommodation - try AirBNB. I had an apartment for a long weekend with a few friends a couple of years ago during the FWT finals weekend - we paid abut 70chf each in total for 4 nights, and it was a great spot right by Medran lift. That time of year you should get a few options.

But I'd still recommend waiting until closer to the time to choose the best resort based on snow conditions. You'll definitely find something!
latest report
Thanks all for the advice. Flights booked at the princely sum of £62 for the two of us! It had actually gone down by £3 overnight. I won't get away with hand baggage only as Oscar will insist on taking his new K2 Juvys. However, if we take my Dakine Fall Line Double bag we should get a pair of skis each plus boots and everything else we'll need.

Now to avoid weather watching for the next 6 weeks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
dw832 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

One big bonus of 'Booking.com' is that lots of accommodation does have free cancellation options - so you can come up with a plan 'b' if the weather forces you to.

I can second this. We have booked accommodation in more than one resort over New Year and are going to cancel one nearer the time when we see where the best snow is. Booking is taken without any money and can be altered right up until a specified date (usually a week or two before arrival).
snow report
@Gaza, Half day pass in Tignes starts at 1245 - half day EK and then 2 day EK pass is marginally cheaper than a 3 day pass. You could also opt for a half day 'Nouvelle Glisse pass' which limits you to the Palafour sector in Tignes (Palafour, Merles, Grand Huit, Tichot, Grattalu and Col de Ves) which would save another few Euros and is more than enough for a warm up. As you have missed the rush hour in Geneva and Annecy if the roads are clear of snow rain and frogs (4 legged green ones) then you should be able to do it in between 2:30 and 2:40 (it is a renter after all!). Returning late Sunday is a good idea - especially if you can get close to the airport and a hotel with a shuttle as you could get rid of the car a day early.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hire a car, do chamonix stay at he excelsior hotel... Oh Happy days
snow report
Chamonix might well be mostly closed in early December
latest report
dw832 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

I've started off with Cham and most of the hotels on booking.com have a 30 day cancellation period. However, the Mercure Chamonix Centre has a half board rate with a 5 day cancellation period so that looks to be a good bet. For a 2 night stay it is only £30 more than the room only unrestricted rate but that has a 30 day cancellation!
snow report
The last two years Verbier have opened up part of the upper slopes at the Weekend from later November. We went in early December the last two years for a long Weekend. In 2013 the snow was OK down to Ruinettes, but it was hardly piste-bashed at all and hard going - we didn't really enjoy it. We had to park in Le Chable and catch the télécabine up to Médran and then switch to the Ruinettes one.

But last year 2014 was great for us, as they also ran the télécabine from La Tzoumaz (where we were staying) up to Savoleyres and from there down to Verbier. You could then get the the free snowbus to/from Médran. The piste bashing was excellent and we skied Lac de Vaux and Olympic down to Ruinettes. There was lots of snow cover and some people were skiing down to Verbier, but it wasn't bashed or marked.

You could consider staying at the thermal resort of Bains de Saillon in the valley https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/ which is between Martigny and Sion. It's a more family-oriented place than the glitzy thermal resorts of Lukerbad etc. and it would also offer the option to do some wellbeing or swimming if you'd had enough skiing for the day.

And if you have enough time on the Monday, you could do some Christmas shopping at one of the Christmas Markets in Lausanne or Geneva - take a look at the city website for details, or myswitzerland.com, nearer to the time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-10-15 22:12; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Chamonix for a couple of days with an eight year old sounds like way too much hassle, and probably will have very little open.
Avioraz is ski in ski out and will have plenty to ski for a weekend or like I said in a previous post the 3 Valleys is a good option.
snow report
maddness wrote:
Chamonix for a couple of days with an eight year old sounds like way too much hassle, and probably will have very little open.
Avioraz is ski in ski out and will have plenty to ski for a weekend or like I said in a previous post the 3 Valleys is a good option.

Thanks @madness. Our arrival date, 11th December, is also the opening date for Avoriaz. They are offering a 3 day pass for €55 for both adults and children. If I can find a cheap hotel then at this rate it will be cheaper than a weekend in Aviemore!
ski holidays
@Gaza, I've had a look for the €55 deal on the 11th Dec and can't find it. Am I man looking??!!
latest report
@charliesimpson, here is the link - http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/index.php?_lang=GB&&moid=117&alias=vente-en-ligne&function=wtscommande&offre=WTSOFFER:4kmzwqo12not

ski holidays
@Gaza, the new Ibis Budget hotel in Sallanches would be workable as you'll have a car. But there should be plenty of cheap self catering in resort and some restaurants open if you don't want to cook
snow report
Thanks @pam w. I assume you are suggesting Sallanches for Chamonix/Les Houches/ Saint Gervais rather than Avoriaz?

Given the short time we are there I have no desire to cook so we will eat out. Ideally I'd like somewhere that offered breakfast but as most of Avoriaz seems to be self-catering I'm not sure I'll find somewhere like that.

Sunday night is sorted. I've got a fully flexible rate at the Ibis next to GVA for c.£70

It is beginning to look very likely that I'm going to bring this in at under £500 for the 2 of us. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Flights, Seats & Bag £37 (I had a voucher from easyJet for £105)
Car Hire £0 (Free weekend voucher from Europcar and it will be CH side)
Lift Passes £80
Hotel @ GVA £70
Resort Accommodation £200
Total £387
ski holidays
To any Avoriaz/Morzine experts out there: would it be better to stay in Morzine/ Les Prodains and take either the Super Morzine or Prodains Express to access Avoriaz? It certainly looks like it would cut a bit of the journey time from GVA by parking in either location. There also appears to be more hotel choice in Morzine.
ski holidays
I would recommend driving up to Ardent via Montriond to Les Lindarets so you can quickly access Avoriaz side of Chatel. Also the parking in Ardent is free, I think. This is based on a week I did a couple of years ago from Dec 14 -21 - I think it was the year where we had a big dump in November and then nothing for most of December.

Snow coverage in Avoriaz was pretty patchy and it was very crowded, but the Pre La Joux / Plaine Dranse parts of Chatel were in much better condition and much quieter. My uneducated assertion is that this area of Chatel is of a similar altitude to much of Avoriaz, but has better snow-making coverage and is maybe a bit more sheltered so catches a bit more?

Super-Morzine is slow, and that sector is often closed early. Prodains is probably fine and now gets you very quickly into the middle of the action, but if that's also the opening ski / snowboard test weekend it will probably be extremely busy around there! (it was when I was there at least).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy