Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediates & Young Children - Austria 1st Week in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for advice on which resort and type of accommodation to go for. Adults have skied a few times before in the US, but not for a few years. This will be the children's first time. Two families, one with two 8yos, other with 7yo & 5yo. One family flying into Munich, the other flying into Memmingen on Easter Sunday 27th March for a week. Planned to hire cars and meet up in Westendorf as it had been highly recommended for young children. However, concerned about possible lack of snow then as Westendorf is 800m. Should we go somewhere higher? If so where? Do not want to be travelling much further than the SkiWelt area. What kind of accommodation would be best and will it be difficult to find given that week is Easter school holidays in Germany, although not Austria I think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO Westerndorf is little low for the end o march, indeed somewhere higher would have a lower risk of no or poor snow.

Obertauern is as good as if gets I think in terms o reliability in Austria. And is a sensible drive from both Memmingen and Munich. Not sure what yours accomodation expectation is, but there is a pretty wide variety to choose from. We stayed at the Romerhoff on our last visit, ad would hapilly stay there again.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Causewayer, don't worry about availability of accommodation, it's a pretty quiet time of year so you'll be able to find something. Apartmenthaus are a good option if wanting SC, it's quite cheap to eat out.

This far out Obertauern or a resort with access to higher skiing would be most sensible just in case. However, the same week we've skied Ski Amade, Kitzbuhel and Saalbach. There has always been a good amount of snow. The areas tend to close due to lack of visitors rather than lack of snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied Westendorf about as late as it's open, and I wouldn't expect you to have any issues with snow on piste. However, on the lower mountain you might find you're skiing through green fields (I quite like it tbh!) rather than winter wonderland.

At that time of year I'd book flights now and wait 'til a couple of weeks before to finalise resort and accommodation based on snow.

Will it be the first time on snow for your kids? Westendorf has one of the best nursery slopes around, but it is right at the bottom...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, which is exactly what we've done. Booked flights, sort the rest out later.

Don't know if cost is an issue, but Skiwelt, Saalbach and Ski Amade often offer free/heavily discounted children's lift passes if brought with an adults late in the season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Amadé also offer free ski passes for kids at this time of year.
All the higher areas are still in good shape (sometimes the runs to valley are for the more bravehearted!)
I've often taught school groups at this time of year and never had any problems.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Causewayer, I don't know whether Saalbach is under consideration, but here's my pennyworth. At risk of stating the obvious, it all depends on the weather and air temperatures - it can be brilliant spring skiing from top to bottom, or it can be hot and slushy, especially on lower, south-facing slopes (but still usually enjoyable early in the day - until around lunch time). However the extensive snow-making (which here in Saalbach covers at least 90% of the 270km of pistes), has greatly increased snow-sureness at the end of the season. As @hammerite, has commented, many resorts close after the Easter holidays due to lack of guests, rather than lack of snow. Obviously the weather can never be predicted and no guarantees can be given, but I can honestly say that generally speaking our guests have had a great time at Easter - in fact I can think of one family who so enjoyed the first week of April that they immediately set about looking for an apartment to buy. A couple of years ago the first week of April was one of the best weeks of the season (thanks to generally cool air temperatures).
I can confirm that your children's lift passes would be free. Another afterthought is that this coming season sees the opening of a new chair lift on the upper section of the Bernkogel mountain, replacing two very long and unpopular T-bars. I would be very surprised if this does not create a mountain-top paradise for beginners on the Bernkogel, the top of which is virtually a large plateau. A nice fall-back if conditions on the village-height (1,000m) nursery slopes become too difficult.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy