Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - sports direct / aldi?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I need to kit all 4 of us out with helmets and goggles. I don't want to spend hundreds of £ but I also don't want to hire. I have seen that sports direct have reasonably priced helmets but would like to try them on, do they ever have them in store?

I've also noticed that aldi (or lidl?) do them for a reasonable price. Any idea what time of year they come in? And are they ok quality?

I would love to hear your advice on this. I totally understand that fit is everything. I certainly won't be putting price above a good fit, but if I can get a good fit at a reasonable price then I'll be happy.

X
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there is a Decathlon near you then you could head there; they're pretty decent and well priced. TK Maxx also worth a look when the season gets going.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also check if any local ski shops have last years stock on sale.

Not worth compromising on quality especially where kids are involved so make sure it does pass all the tests.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second the decathlon recommendation as they had a very wide choice of makes and styles. I tried quite a number of different ones on my daughter before finding one she felt comfortable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@breeze11, Aldi stuff isn't too bad, got helmet and Base layers from there. Also had gloves which are warm but have ripped on ski edges
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Little Martin wrote:
@breeze11, Aldi stuff isn't too bad, got helmet and Base layers from there. Also had gloves which are warm but have ripped on ski edges

Couldn't comment from experience on their helmets and they aren't the most stylish or lightest but doubtless they meet the test requirements. Aldi kit can be pretty good;I got a pair of their salopettes last year and they are really good. It usually appears around christmas/new year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jnr has quite comfortably been wearing an Aldi (or possibly Lidl) helmet for the last 5 or so years. Covered in stickers it doesn't look too unstylish either.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I actually bough the helmet just for the ear protectors as I'd lost one on my atomic helmet and it was impossible to find a replacement. After getting home I tried the Aldi one on and it fitted better, more comfortable so decided to start using that instead. I did remove the flashing light at the back Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The aldi ones are fine, in fact a few years ago on here we figured out they (or might have been Lidl ones) were actually rebadged Giro helmets. The other stuff is good as well, gloves it doesn't matter if the kids loose, absolute bargain merino thermals I've used everywhere from above 3000m in the Alps in February to offshore sailing in force 8! Oh and my aldi soft shell jacket is still going strong after about 5 years of skiing hiking and general use.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decalthlon recommendation as well. But go now as once they sell out they will not restock. Our two have had all of their helmets from them, and the best low vis googles I have had were their own brand ones.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't buy one without trying it on. My wife has an Aldi one, and it's not very comfortable (at least for her) and having tried one myself I can see what she means. Different people have different shaped heads, so what might be great for someone else might not suit you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nevica gear will be perfectly good for your needs. In fact I think that their helmets are very good for the money. Your problem will be finding a well stocked store at this time of year. If you are near London Lillywhites would be your best bet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
have a look at TKMAXX - Dainese and Poc helmets. Dainese is pretty good gear, poc, bern, smith are excellent but a little more pricey

http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/search?q=helmet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look in the TK shops as well, thats where my Smith IO goggles came from
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aldi helmet I bought was good value. Haven't landed on it so don't know how well it works in extremis. Gloves as others said rip quite easily.
snow conditions
Lidl and Aldi helmets do us fine (3 years and counting now). Mine (Lidl I think) has adjustable air vents with a slide on the top of the helmet, and the slide rattles if it is not completely open or closed, but I can live with that.
ski holidays
Quote:
Any idea what time of year they come in?

Mid-November
snow report
Looked at Aldi last year for our 3x kids who all have different sizes . . .found the Aldi helmets were good but only for those with larger heads . . .Our local Decatholon was also hit and miss . . .

Ended up trying on a load of Sinner helmets at Go Outdoors and getting the fits right - then searched online for the best deals - Sinner The Magic kids ski helmet - from £25-30 (Chelston Direct) . . .managed to get the sizes I wanted in different colours (matt black / gloss white / matt red) . . .they are quality (compared to Aldi) and also look good IMHO . .!
snow conditions
@breeze11, try amazon we bought all 4 of our helmets, for around £80, all good quality and my daughters and wife have used theirs at hemel a couple of times each now, I would recommend going to snow and rock etc, to try on to get the right sizes, can be confusing and my eldest (12) has got an adult helmet. we have kitted the kids out with lots of stuff from amazon (and muddy puddles) socks/thermals/gloves etc!!!
cheers
terry
latest report
I noticed yesterday that Costco have ski helmets in again. I got 2 from here a few years back for me and the misses and very happy with them.
http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/boll-adult-hybrid-winter-sports-helmet-large-185647C
ski holidays
They have a load of all sized from kids up ski gear in the warehouse in Derby
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy