Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The annual multi trip ski insurance hunt!

Poster: A snowHead
jbob wrote:
Just renewed with snowcard, for a couple, max adventure (up helisking) annual 60 day limit, min cover max excess, Europe, £295, about a tenner more than last year. Straightforward health declaration, and few weasel words re extent of cover etc.
BMC was £400 for similar.

But lacking in weasel words, if the BMC policy is like what it was when I was skiing off piste.
Quote:

MPI similar.
Scgb was similar but no Heli, I think.

My family trips to Canada are covered by a simple £45 annual policy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PaulC1984, they have changed the wording and categories this year, the lady told me so
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kelskii wrote:
I looked at the Snowcard Max Adventure but the site states 4 weeks winter sports holidays max. in a year. Is it the Extreme Adventure that you have?

It wasn't but it is now Shocked an extra £97.24
Kelski, Thanks for the heads up, I missed the 4 week limit its not in the policy but is in the FAQs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, "Grievous bodily harm" is defined by the common law as "really serious injury", and a fractured pelvis would certainly fall within that definition.

Am I alone in relying on the insurance cover provided by membership of the Austrian Alpine Club? (£72 a year for me and Mrs TT). Emergency medical cover, and cover for transportation between hospitals and repatriation are limited to the first 8 weeks of any trip; however I phoned MPI and they advised me to arrange cover with them just before the 8 weeks is due to expire, and they will cover the remainder of the season for around £180 for both of us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Am I alone in relying on the insurance cover provided by membership of the Austrian Alpine Club? (£72 a year for me and Mrs TT).

No, I've used them for years but fortunately have never had to claim. My bank account gives me a basic travel insurance (including skiing on piste) and the AAC tops it up for off piste - and only £36 at my advanced age.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skier52 wrote:
Annual Multi-trip Ski Travel policy - http://www.247travelinsurance.co.uk/ski-winter-sports/
Online quote and a quick study of the T&C' s looks good, Premier policy covers multi ski-trips of up to 45 Days each. £130 ish for a couple, including off-piste.

Thanks for the link as I too was looking to replace my old SCGB multi-trip policy which now has a ceiling on the number of days ski-ing per year.
Looked at the finer detail and then bought the Ski Annual Multi Trip Premier, Europe excl Spain, activity level black, £66.27
Ticks all the relevant boxes for me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slowboarder wrote:
skier52 wrote:
Annual Multi-trip Ski Travel policy - http://www.247travelinsurance.co.uk/ski-winter-sports/
Online quote and a quick study of the T&C' s looks good, Premier policy covers multi ski-trips of up to 45 Days each. £130 ish for a couple, including off-piste.

Thanks for the link as I too was looking to replace my old SCGB multi-trip policy which now has a ceiling on the number of days ski-ing per year.
Looked at the finer detail and then bought the Ski Annual Multi Trip Premier, Europe excl Spain, activity level black, £66.27
Ticks all the relevant boxes for me.

247 travel insurance looks really good on price at the min... Has anyone any experience of claiming through them, e.g good/bad?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Following a mention up thread about 247 I had a look. One thing I noticed about their levels of cover was that although off piste was covered as standard (for skiers not boarders) you needed the top level (of three) of cover for skiing on glaciers.
Now maybe I'm being pedantic but off piste is off piste. And for that matter there are some 'pistes' that are on glaciers. So I used their enqiry form asking for clarification of this off piste / glacier distinction. That was a couple of days ago. No response as yet. I wouldn't be comfortable doing for example a Vallee Blanche or top station Grand Monte trip without knowing how they'd view that.
Dave
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gone with the SCGB insurance. As usual, thanks to all the info on here, we now know much more about insurance. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've gone for MPI this year, a change from SCGB. Just didn't like the look of their latest offering.

@jbob, it's so easy to overlook stuff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been pretty happy with the "free" insurance from my bank, underwritten by ACE. Only had to use it once but following a badly broken leg a month before a pretty expensive ski trip to Japan they covered the full cost for myself and my wife for the whole trip. Given that was lots of bits booked separately and included a portion in Tokyo I was happy just to pay the £50 excess.

90 days cover per year with 30 days in any one trip. The only negatives are a max of £250 for individual valuables and £75 per week for lift pass. That said I'd self insure for those in any case.

Winter sports defined as: "Skiing (including skiing outside the area of the normal compacted snow or ski slope, i.e. off-piste...". No qualifiers for that which can't be a bad thing though having never had to claim for that I couldn't be sure and if that's a worry then one of the mountaineering top up type insurances would be my first shout.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MPI brokers get my business this season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin, despite the price increase they will probably be getting my business too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, @Hells Bells, +1. I feel very comfortable with them, somehow. I know that sounds a bit fluffy... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've noticed that MPI doesn't include pre-booked heli-skiing trips longer than 2 days. It also doesn't include scuba diving unless it's not pre-planned.

It still seems much cheaper than BMI, Snowcard and Dog Tag for an annual multi trip (worldwide not inc. USA/Canada) policy covering off piste without a guide.
snow report
Quote:

MPI doesn't include pre-booked heli-skiing trips longer than 2 days. It also doesn't include scuba diving
Not a problem for me!
wink
snow conditions
and not one for me either.
snow report
musehead wrote:
It also doesn't include scuba diving unless it's not pre-planned.

So it's OK if you ski into a mountain lake unless you pre-planned the ice diving?
ski holidays
Snowcard have just quoted me a 50% rise in my renewal premium .Only one year older and only really requiring 3rd party and medical cover.
Max adventure multi trip up from £105 to £158!
ski holidays
LV?? I quote from their FAQ section:
Quote:
Q:"Am I covered to ski off piste?"
A: "By adding winter sports cover to your travel insurance policy, you’ll be covered to ski or snowboard off-piste as long as you stay within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and follow the ski patrol guidelines."
You couldn't make it up.... Well a skier or snowboarder couldn't but a numpty at LV obviously could. What a joke.

Our annual policy runs out tomorrow:

- MPI - £465 for the 2 of us (worldwide)
- Coverwise - Can't get the website to work - keeps saying I am timed out...
- Staysure - Max one ski trip per year on an annual policy.
- Insure and Go - Cheapest so far at £165 - but negative snowHead comments noted.

The search continues....
snow conditions
I'm now having quite a few problems with MPI over a claim. Mainly due to their loss adjusters Right path who are one of the biggest showers of poo-poo I've ever had to deal with. After telling me it was agreed they seem to have now changed their mind. Not a lot of money but out of principle I'll be be fighting this very vigorously Evil or Very Mad
snow report
@Claude B, Evil or Very Mad indeed. I believe they have a new claims manager.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, They have, I'm currently in dispute with him, I say he said agreed, he says led to believe Evil or Very Mad I've asked for recordings of the calls. To be fair to MPI its all down to Rightpath who are one of the most unprofessional organisations it's ever been my misfortune to deal with Twisted Evil
latest report
@Claude B, not a good start for him then. This is their last email newsletter which announced his appointment. http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=88d3d8d1be&id=cbb331a2d3&e=3654b8c15e
snow report
Lots of weasel words and they are pushing my case and know Rightpath who they are getting rid of are damaging their business!
ski holidays
@Claude B, glad to hear they are getting rid of Rightpath then.
ski holidays
As I have been using MPI recently I'm quite concerned at these claims issues. MPI should be managing Rightpath not the customer.
snow report
@Layne, +1

from the Newsletter above Confused
Quote:
Welcoming Gary to MPI Brokers, Managing Director Michael
Pettifer says: “This appointment is a major step forward for MPI, enabling us to build better service-based relationships with our customers. If a claim arises, we can ensure it is presented correctly to the loss adjusters so that any payments are made as quickly as possible.”

For Gary, the new role is a welcome opportunity to ‘sit on the same side’ as claimants.

He says: “I shall be working to develop a professional approach for MPI Claims. This involves aiming for the best possible timescales and keeping the customers fully informed during a claim.

"I’ll also be making sure that we are doing everything possible to meet customers’ expectations – we are, after all, here to help them.”

Introduction of the in-house claims service in time for the 2015-2016 ski season coincides with the launch of MPI’s redesigned website and a custom-built online purchasing system to streamline the overall customer experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, I will be ringing them for me renewal soon, and I will be discussing just this with them. What is the point of the in-house claims service if it is not working as above.
ski holidays
Some very cheap quotes from skicover.com but only a max of 21 days ski cover. I'm not really bothered about equipment cover, all of mine is worth less than the insurance quote!, I just want to be covered for my body to be scraped off the mountain wherever it falls.
latest report
@tangowaggon, similar sentiments over here regarding equipment! I'll have a look at skicover, cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
There has to be a catch here?
Skicover.com voyager annual multi trip inc USA/Canada, 24 days ski cover, 50 yr old, £65.99
similar cover from MPI but with more days of ski cover £160.61 (edit) just had a look at the limits for equipment / personal effects / cancellation etc and skicover has much lower limits eg own equipment skicover £400, MPI £950
Both cover me for motorcycling too

So, for a peasant like me that skis on museum pieces, has moths in his wallet and uses the cheapest deal going, the skicover policy looks ok.

With previous annual policies, I have never told the insurance when I am going (not sure if you are meant to?) so, if you have already been skiing up to the limit (24 days in this case) without a claim, then have another trip and have a claim, how will the insurance know that you have already been away?.

Skicover policy on offpiste
Going off piste within resort boundaries

Under our winter sports ski insurance policies you can ski and snowboard anywhere within resort boundaries provided they are considered safe by resort management.
This means our ski insurance policies cover you to ski and snowboard "anywhere". Be it a pisted run or off piste up to your neck in snow, as long as the area is open and is considered safe then you are OK. If the runs or the area has been shut because of a risk of avalanche or because of low visibility or high winds then you are considered to be skiing and snowboarding against the resort guidelines and if you had an accident your claim could be declined.

Booking insurance online for Skiing or boarding off piste within resort boundaries

The insurance booking engine above has been pre-programmed to return the correct premium to cover off piste skiing and boarding within resort boundaries as standard as well as any other sports in the same risk category or lower. These activities can be viewed on the results page under the activities tab or in the full policy wordings on display.

If you have an any queries about our ski insurance policies and need clarification on any aspects of the cover then do not hesitate to use livechat or call and speak to an agent on 08434 590 878, we are open 7 days a week to provide assistance.
ski holidays
Just got a good deal from MPI , full annual worldwide 31day per trip max , made much cheaper by removing cancellation cover which I have with HSBC travel free with my bank acc , just wanted the off piste no guide cover really but also covered for my Mtb adventures too Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Dolomiti Emergency is €22 a year and is ONLY for search and rescue costs, including helicopter, throughout Europe. It covers anyone doing anything, ie professionals and competitive sportsmen, and for €8 you can add your dog! http://dolomitiemergency.it/

I eventually managed to join and purchase online but if this is for you you will need to generate an Italian tax code (Code Fiscale). I eventually discovered one that worked for UK residents http://www.nonsolocap.it/codice-fiscale/ where you will need to enter Z114 in the Foreign State box (province code EE will come up as well).

Good deal for us, for those going out there next month you can also buy it in the tourist office in Arabba as well as many other places.

@BoardieK, you have put an end to all my last minute stress trying to find an Italian equivalent to carre neige - thank you for all this information! Very Happy

I have arranged it online - though there seems to be a problem with the date of birth box which can only handle months and days up to 09 - I had to enter a fictitious date and they corrected it for me in the office.

It might be worth noting that the contract only covers Europe for Italian residents: "For persons not resident in Italy, the insurance cover is valid exclusively on Italian soil, and does not include expenses sustained for transport back to the country of origin."

@Lisa_BrentaSki has also posted some very useful information about medical services in Italy: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2801096&highlight=italy+insurance#2801096

I'm flying out on Sunday and hopefully now I have my belt and braces all I have to worry about is enjoying myself!
snow conditions
I'm going out to Chamonix for about 80 days. That 80 days ruled out a number of insurers including MPI - though they did say they could probably arrange something special for me. I didn't bother as it probably would have been expensive. Looked at BMC cover but whilst they cover off piste without a guide they specifically exclude "Extreme Skiing" and are very vague about what they mean by extreme skiing and I could get no formal definition from them like maybe anything over a certain angle. They wanted my to list the routes I will be skiing and then they could "approve" them. Like I'm going to know ahead of time exactly which routes I'll be skiing. In the end I went with the SCGB insurance which came to a reasonable £148.
snow conditions
I have bitten the bullet and gone with the Ski Club again despite my earlier reservations about some aspects of the cover being limited (personal possessions and total trip cost). I have the top level worldwide annual policy for myself (67) and husband (6Cool and I have declared a pre-existing condition which shouldnt be an issue as while it is an ongoing condition which curtails the amount of physical activity I can do it doesnt actually stop me doing any of the normal activities of everyday life and for me skiing these days is as much about being in the mountain environment with skiing friends and having a good holiday with wonderful scenery as it is for the actual downhill stuff. The total cost for both of us for this cover was a surprising circa £350.
snow report
This really is a brilliant thread, full of useful information, sHs at its best. Very Happy
snow conditions
Opinions on the changes to Ski Club GB insurances? Seem cheaper options now, but looks like a rebrand of another. Similar to Insure&Go packages except more expensive even despite the Ski Club "discount". I've been using TravelInsurance.co.uk and they're basically Insure&Go rebranded. Been okay but haven't had to make a claim. Only claim I've ever done was years ago back when Egg used to exist and they paid up no problem for $1k of broken wrist in US.

Looking for something though that might cover me for MTB trips the rest of the year as well as winter sports. A lot of them are a bit vague on MTB. My current one says yes but then says no to racing (fair enough), but also says no "extreme" terrain, but that could be anything other than tarmac!

In the past I've ended up with a dedicated one trip with Snowcard for the MTB stuff.
ski holidays
Skiclub are cheaper than anyone else for we oldies, I checked a large number of insurers and with age, wish to heli ski and pre-existing condition plus need for worldwide annual cover some of the prices were eye watering and many insurers didnt want to know!
snow report
To clarify the comments about InsureAndGo

YES Ski/Snowboard fun parks mean you're not covered for personal accident and liability - https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/frequently-asked-questions#anchorWinter

But as I understand it Personal Accident is a payment to your estate if you kill yourself or to yourself if you get a permanent disability - its NOT medical cover which is still covered (see link above)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy