Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stupid Newbie Question re Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone. Long time lurker etc.

I have booked the whole family on our first ski trip this Christmas to Scheffau Austria. Although I did skiing a couple of times with school XX years ago, the rest of them have never been, and so we have gone the full monty with equipment hire , passes and beginners lessons which I think are both mornings and afternoons for the entire week. Our sons are 12 and 13 and from what I have read they will be in different classes to us because of their age.

My first (stupid) question is this: If we are being separately instructed, is it normal for the instructors to arrange a time and place to meet up for lunch on the slopes?

My second (stupid) question is this: A friend has suggested we take a backpack. Is this a good idea if we are going to be falling over every ten seconds?

My third (stupid) question is this: We are there for Christmas Day. Can the instructors really be on the slopes on Christmas Day??? If not, are we likely to be safe to ski unaccompanied by then (day 6 of our trip)?

Sorry for the daft questions and thanks in advance. We have done a few lessons at Rossendale and are really looking forward to it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. It may or may not be that you're all in the same class but as all beginners you'll probably all be on the same slope; at least for the first day or two.
2.Probably better without the back-pack.
3.Yes, they'll be working Christmas day and everything will be open.
4. There are very few stupid questions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Firstly welcome to snowheads snowHead

With regards to your first question, it does all depend on if you booked for private lessons, in which case you will probably be as a family, or and more likely booked lessons though the operator in which case you will be set depending on ability / age etc.

I wouldn't worry to much with regards to what group you are in, as you will normally get some skiing time together and you'll generally find you'll improve quicker.

Secondly, yes normally the ski instructors have a post at which they meet for lessons and it is generally around here that they will end the lesson (normally near a cafe or restaurant) so very easy to meet up.

As for the back pack it is a sensible idea as you can put water and snacks in. However as adithorp said if you are doing lessons and plan to meet up probably best without and you could always find a restaurant to get some food and drink.

As for Christmas day I'm sure by that point you will feel comfortable doing a few runs by yourself / as a family.

Finally enjoy it and have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. If abilities are similar, you can probably get your kids in the same group as yourself.
2. Depends. I wouldn't say it's normal, but it happens sometimes. Depends on where your skiing and what relations the ski school has with various restaurants. I wouldn't expect it to happen as standard, but you can ask.
3. Wouldn't bother with a backpack.
4. Yes everyone will really be working on Xmas Day Laughing Welcome to the tourism industry!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No such thing as stupid questions - we have all been Newbies - and welcome.

Yes your kids are likely to be in separate groups. Not sure about Scheffau but you are all likely to be learning in the same place and normal thing is to be dropped at the meeting point at the end of the morning session. You are unlikely to all making such progress to go too far on the first day or 2 anyway.

Christmas Day is pretty normal in Austria and yes there will be lessons then too. The major event is Xmas eve and it is fairly routine to start the day 1/2 an hour earlier and have a slightly shorter lunch so that lessons can finish earlier for instructors and guests to prepare for the evening.

I don't wear a backpack but others do - if you have jackets with plenty of pockets I would expect you to be able to put everything you need in there.

Hope you have a great time Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@silverwell, welcome to snowheads.

@adithorp is right, there are no stupid questions!

I definitely agree not to take a backpack out with you. It will complicate matters. Your ski clothes should have enough pockets for phone, wallet, snacks, etc. Snacks are a good idea, by the way.

Lessons usually start and finish from the same place, especially when you're a beginner. There will be lessons on Xmas day as normal.

It sounds like you've booked a tour operator package. That's a very good idea for a first family trip. There will be people from the tour operator who can help you understand where you need to be and when.

Have a great time!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aren't you all lovely people? Thanks for the quick responses. As you guessed, we are going fully packaged at what seems to me to be hefty expense.

I just remember having the best time with my schoolmates back in 198X at Zell am See and Cormayeur (pre helmets, or any form of Health and Safety- I fell off a chair lift, and I thought my instructor was going to die laughing as he sailed on up the hill!).

I am hoping that if we enjoy it I might be able to get the family to go again and arrange things on a bit more of a budget next time. The scary thing is not knowing what is what the first time around.

Thanks Again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kids will not want to be in same lesson as you as they'll likely progress much faster.

No backpack but a camelbak might be useful if you have one + granola bars in the pocket. Hydration is important and beginners expend way more energy than most.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Aren't you all lovely people?

Most of us are although the jury's still out on one or two wink Laughing

Nothing to add to the responses to your post other than a welcome to Snowheads @silverwell, enjoy your holiday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you did the right thing to go full-on, particularly with all-day lessons for the whole family. You will get an advantage of being able to ski all day in safer environment with instruction and without a fear that you forget in the afternoon all you managed to learn in the morning. Enjoy your holiday!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You fell off a chairlift Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like an awesome plan. Don't take a backpack, have water before you go and take a bottle each in a coat pocket. You'll be on your back bottom enough and won't want anything to hinder getting back up!

This kids will have such a great time they'll probably be happy not to meet up at lunch if that's how it ends up (providing they're a semi-sociable pair).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You have time to get to a snow dome and have some beginner lessons. You will appreciate it when you get out in the real snow if you have a clue what you are doing and will then have a much better trip.

Kids will sail past you in lessons. We did similar 2nd lesson she was kicked up 3 groups, we were still on baby slope with panic snowplough as she came off her lesson past us, then skied back words chatting to us. Looked like she had been born on the damn things.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree prob better to not be in same group as kids. You all need to focus on your own thing during these early days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jake43 wrote:
You have time to get to a snow dome and have some beginner lessons. You will appreciate it when you get out in the real snow if you have a clue what you are doing and will then have a much better trip...

Got to agree with that. It'll let you progress a lot faster in resort and save a lot on nerves if you at least have done something before.
snow conditions
@silverwell,

You've had loads of good advice. I don't need to add to it. So have a great time and I agree with others - you'll have a great start with all those lessons and having everything organised in a package should keep things hassle free. After that it will be much easier to do things a bit cheaper on future holidays.

all the best
J
snow conditions
Quote:

You have time to get to a snow dome and have some beginner lessons. You will appreciate it when you get out in the real snow if you have a clue what you are doing and will then have a much better trip.

I Agree with @Jake43, i think it really helps to get a bit of the basics behind you, have a great trip. snowHead
ski holidays
dode wrote:
You fell off a chairlift Shocked

Probably the one that runs along the top of Zell (cant remember the name) but i've seen a few people fall of that on as they get off at is quick and goes immediately up straight after the offload.
ski holidays
I've always skied with a small backpack, right from when I started (unless I'm in a fridge, as that would look odd). I've never found it caused any issue or made getting up any more tricky, and it meant I didn't land on bottles etc. stuffed in pockets when I fell. I now have a small rucksack with a 2l hydration bladder in it which is great.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Kids will not want to be in same lesson as you as they'll likely progress much faster.

No backpack but a camelbak might be useful if you have one + granola bars in the pocket. Hydration is important and beginners expend way more energy than most.

+1 At least a bottle of water. And for "likely" read "almost certainly".
snow report
Exploding bottles in rucksacks, it's quite funny when it happens to someone else. Laughing

Try and get some of the small 150-200ml bottles, fit perfectly in the pocket and refill.
snow conditions
Backpack will add to the time you are fussing around getting it off and on, open and closed trying to reach all the 'essentials' you thought you needed. This in turn will delay everyone else in your class. I would suggest don't be 'that guy' to start out. A small bottle of water and maybe a snackbar plus sunscreen and lipprotector will all fit in your pockets.
latest report
I always ask beginners to leave the backpack at the bottom of the slope when I am teaching. Beginners have enough problems getting weight forward / dealing with lifts esp t-bars without the added problems of backpacks. Although the idea of learning to ski with the family is appealing the reality is that the children will learn much faster and have more fun with people of their own age.
Yes we all work on Christmas day!
ski holidays
Normally when skiing you are only on the slope for at most 3 hours at a time so hydration is never a problem (unless you consume too much alchol the night before). Though snacks are nice, do you really carry them when you go for a 3 hour walk? Personally I do not carry a backpack, I stuff a hat in my pocket if it looks as it might get colder, but otherwise all I carry is a wallet, keys and, lift pass and, if I can remember a mobile phone. Somedays I even remember a piste map

I also think your plans for lessons etc are spot on. My beginners classes were, possibly, the most fun time I have ever had skiing.

Christmas day is just another day in a ski resort, but expect everything to be closed or expensive on Christmas day.

Enjoy the trip, but beware skiing is addictive and pretty soon you will be looking at 2+ trips a year and buying your own place.
snow report
Personally I think lessons both mornings and afternoons is overkill. I think you would be able to find greens and easy blues to be able to all ski on in the afternoons. Just my opinion.

For the kids it's good to take spare gloves, neck warmer things, balaclavas etc in a backpack. Just a tiny pack is all you'll need. Unless you can stuff them in their pockets.
latest report
@Themasterpiece, I think not doing lessons in the afternoon, at least for the first few days is a waste of learning time. There will be very little an absolute beginner can do on their own on day one or two with any degree of confidence or capability
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy