Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toll Doofer height question

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, been happily driving across France for past 5 seasons with the old Doofer,

This season for the first time I will be taking a top box, Car is a Skoda Superb 4x4 estate with a long narrow top box, think it adds about another 6-8 inches height. Its a Kamei top box.

Will I still be able to go through the 30KPH lanes with my Doofer, cannot remember what the height restriction is.

Also how long do batteries last in Doofer Tag, this will be my ones sixth year of going twice a season.

Regards

Tim B
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timbobaggins, I accept no responsibilty but you should be ok, it's 2m I believe. I've not tried with my Qashqai with top box which I suspect is just over this. There are usually a couple of 30kph lanes at the far right too without a height restriction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you'll be ok, you could ring Sanef in the UK (Halifax I think) they are very helpful. My Bip and Go (doofer) is also still on its original battery about 6 years later too, don't know what the life is supposed to be.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My Audi Allroad with a big box had no problem, so you will be fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We fit through with a Discovery, which is over 2m.

The Missus ducks every time tho! Thats the best part about passing thro at 30kmh! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Height restrictions on the 30kph lanes on the left hand side of the tolls are 2m, there are 30kph ones without height restriction usually on the right hand side of the tolls. Details are on this Sanef link https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq/support-Faq.List/#4.0.
Why not Google street view one of the tolls?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-10-15 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timbobaggins, Best measure the actual height of topbox, there may also be a time when you need to enter a car park or summat. A topbox that only gives 6-8 " (seems very shallow) will also sit on roof bars which will add height. Did I already say measure it?.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are OK with our Kamei on a Mondeo estate but I am guessing your 4x4 will start taller.

We had a problem with the doofer last year because our credit card had expired. We couldn't update it until we got back to the UK.

I too do wonder about the battery life.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Battery has just gone "phut" after 8 years:(
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My doofer was playing up after about six years. Popped into one of the offices on the French motorway and they swapped it, no fuss or charge.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, thanks all, will obviously measure it prior to travelling with it on. Our Doofer is an APRR one, I assume I can swap that once in an APPR area at a service station office.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timbobaggins, I think there are only a small number of APRR offices which will sort out your Doofer, their website shows where they are and what the opening times are but they are all towards the south. My Doofer stopped beeping but still worked and I exchanged it within a few minutes at the office off J6 (Dole) of the A39 south of Dijon. I had to plan my drive to coincide with the opening times as they shut at 1800 I think. On my first attempt they were actually shut the whole day due to unforeseen circumstances. I'll try to sort out a link later.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Basil,

Many thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and you can't go to a SANEF/APRR office if your doofer is ATMB! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, I think the superb might be a only a few mm different than the Mondeo. Possibly taller, possibly lower, possibly depending on how many people are in it.
ski holidays
Just measured my Qashqai top box combo and it's 2.06m, don't know whether I dare Shocked
ski holidays
We get through withDiscovery with roof box, which I measured at 2.40

There is one booth with a solid height barrier, I think near Reims, which we avoid
latest report
@Timbobaggins, Try this page:

http://www.aprr.fr/fr/services-sur-aires/se-renseigner-s-abonner/vente-telepeage

It was almost a couple of years ago that I replaced my Doofer and the office at J6 of the A39 does not seem to be there any more according to the map but one of the offices may be suitable.
snow report
T5 Van gets through with just the occasional scraping sound! Toofy Grin
latest report
With APRR you can get a new doofer sent to you for free via their website. You just need to return your old one within 30 days or you will get charged.

Worth doing now if you are at all afflicted with doofer anxiety.
snow conditions
I've spoken to ATMB and if i send my doofer back they'll then send me a new one by return..
latest report
Theyve improved the availability of 30kph non stop lanes recently, have a look on the right and there's normally a non height restricted lane, presumably to get the trucks going. Unfortunately the A40 hasn't got them, yet
ski holidays
@Timbobaggins, we've just come through all of them between Calais and Modane with a Nissan X-trail plus Kamei roof box without problem. Noticed that some of the barriers were actually designed for a car plus roof box, so 2m at the sides with a gap in the middle.
latest report
Whitters wrote:
With APRR you can get a new doofer sent to you for free via their website. You just need to return your old one within 30 days or you will get charged.

Do this! It's really quick and easy. Easier than finding the nearest office on the autoroute only to find that it's an AREA one and not an APRR one when they appear to be the same and share a website etc Mad

Mine needed a change at 5 years, went gradually weak and intermittent.

Oh and you can drive through the non stop lane, it's only chains! Thank god as I forgot I had my top box on this summer and just went blasting through Embarassed I reckon I must be about 2.4m Embarassed
latest report
@sarah, there are a couple of lanes that still have solid barriers, but they are fortunately now few and far between.
snow conditions
@Claude B, you will be fine, don't worry. Our X-trail is definitely higher than a Qashqai
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, good to know! We rarely use the top box and I just sailed through as usual Embarassed
latest report
Whitters wrote:

Where do you do this after logging in?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, just had a quick look and there's a big banner on the right hand side which says 'urgence badge' if you click that then 'badge defectueux' then slect your badge by its number, then on the drop down menu select 'declarer badge en panne' that should do it.
snow report
@sarah, many thanks Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Forgive my ignorance but what's the difference (apart from who issued it) between the SANEF Liber-T tag, which is the one I've just got, and the AREA and APRR ones which are mentioned above?
latest report
sarah wrote:
@Layne, just had a quick look and there's a big banner on the right hand side which says 'urgence badge' if you click that then 'badge defectueux' then slect your badge by its number, then on the drop down menu select 'declarer badge en panne' that should do it.

Yes, exactly what I did
snow report
wills_h wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but what's the difference (apart from who issued it) between the SANEF Liber-T tag, which is the one I've just got, and the AREA and APRR ones which are mentioned above?

There are lots of different French "motorway" companies and some of them (perhaps all?) do the doofers and associated billing. The main ones afaik are Sanef and APRR. They all work in broadly the same way though some have different start up or standing charges. Toll rates are fixed globally.
latest report
@Layne, Many thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy