Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need some new pants!!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm fed up with getting a wet backside when sitting on snow covered chairlifts and realise that its due to my cheap Trespass ski pants. Can anybody recommend a pair of pants/trousers that are pretty waterproof, skier fit rather than boarder fit and not break the bank money?

How waterproof do they beed to be? Hyvent2, 10k, 20k, etc etc

Im 60% piste 40% off and dont do any touring

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost any decent brand will work. We like our Marmot Spires.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have used the following brands and found all to be waterproof and breathable. For the rest you should go round some shops and try some on to see what you like.

North Face
Haglofs
Dare2B
Columbia
Decathlon
Picture
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Marmot Spires - often available half-price on sportpursuit (c.£120)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get something from SPortPursuit's GoreTex sale.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got some Spyders last year which are warm, waterproof, and thinner than any of my previous pant. Braces would be a plus.

They were from TK Maxx so were not silly money, about £100 from memory.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always had Columbia or Salomon. Columbia being a more traditional fit and the Salomon being more relaxed, but not in anyway border pants. I normally pay around 90-100 quid for them. My wife has Eider which are excellent, but a bit more pricey.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and @charliesimpson, I would suggest unlined water-resistant shells. Ski pants are typically only really useful for skiing. Shells are rather more useful for more things. You just layer up with generic fleece or longjohns underneath.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 23-10-15 8:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Incontinance pants may prove the perfect solution.

Afterall superman wears his pants outside his tights
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a pair of Salomon trousers that were made of a soft shell type material. They were excellent in sub zero conditions but the first time it rained I found out they weren't remotely waterproof. My Schoeffel trousers have survived torrential rain (April skiing in the 3 Valleys) when the rest of me was soaked through.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Norrona Lofoten, not cheap but the most robust well made trouser/bibs around.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Incontinance pants may prove the perfect solution.

Afterall superman wears his pants outside his tights

The are not pants ......they are trousers!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@charliesimpson,
You would do if you drank my cider wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shart?
@charliesimpson,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget, red ones will be the fastest.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
Norrona Lofoten, not cheap but the most robust well made trouser/bibs around.

Blow your budget and get these. Last ages, look great and work brilliantly.
ski holidays
Quote:

the most robust well made trouser/bibs around

I think e.g. Arc'teryx would take issue with that.

Also, Norrona do produce the most ridiculous colours.

@charliesimpson, on a budget something like these would work, albeit they're lined and definitely ski pants http://www.decathlon.co.uk/wedze-midcarve-men-ski-pants-id_8344318.html The Decathlon range gets increasingly technical as you pay more.

How many days skiing do you expect to do a year?

More technically, and unlined, these: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-700-pants-id_8100490.html
latest report
tkmaxx and check ouut Mountain force. Not worth the money retail at a £350 but worth the £80-90 in TKMaxx

An amazing price for this jacket
http://www.tkmaxx.com/womens-ski/burgundy-ski-jacket/invt/07050036

one set pants left in size 12
http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-womenswear/blue-rider-ski-slacks/invt/07049794

These are womens but I dont know if charlie is a boyor a girl however, simply keep a look out there over the next week or two. they keep restocking.
snow report
also look here.
http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/search?q=ski#esp_cf=ESP_Rational_Style&esp_filter_ESP_Rational_Style=SKI%20TROUSERS
Colmar

Killy

I'd go for Phenix myslf
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, Last time I checked I was male!
@under a new name, I ski about 10 days per season and am increasing venture away from the piste

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Sail and Ski seem to have some good offers on Scott kit byte need to make sure the kit doesn't clash with glasses, helmet and skis!!!!
snow conditions
I picked up a pair of these - http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Beta-AR-Pant - in the SportPursuit Arcteryx sale a few weeks ago. Have a look in their "Clearance" section as they may have returns. I ordered a L and XL and returned the latter. They seem very well made and robust but I was surprised they they were slightly 'crackly' when I move. In that respect they remind me of a cheap pair of gold over trousers I once owned. Very Happy Very Happy They are definitely a shell trouser and will need something underneath. At Braehead Snowdome last week I needed a pair of merino LJs on. I'm just about to collect from the Post Office 3 pairs of 3/4 length Icebreaker LJs that I ordered earlier this week in another SP sale. They are thicker than my other layers so should provide better warmth in the Alps.
snow report
Mountain force come up small, so try a larger size if you get them.
ski holidays
Norrona Lofoten - bombproof. Expensive but worth it and will last you very long time. For 10 days a year I would say unless your size changes dramatically you will still be using them 20 years from now..
latest report
@never summer, I hope you're right - I've just picked up a pair from Ellis Brigham! For half price! I am feeling very smug Very Happy
latest report
@never summer, If I'm skiing in 20 years I'll be doing v well!!
snow report
@Gaza, The Beta AR is from the Arcteryx All Round (AR) general purpose range of mountain clothing, so I would not expect them to be as robust as something from their Whiteline dedicated snow range.

@under a new name, I have a pair of the Arcteryx Theata SV bibs, and they are no comparison with my Norrona Lofoten bibs. The Theta SV's are light, good quality and well designed, and I would pick them for a long tour. But for the everyday abuse of resort skiing, tree skiing, off piste, I would take the bombproof Lofoten's. The Lofoten's are made out of heavier duty material, have more features, but are still flexible and breathable.

@Maireadoconnor, A good choice. Because Norrona change their colour range every year, there are nearly always late or early season bargains to be had.
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, I'm delighted; I've always fancied a pair of dayglo yellow trousers Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Maireadoconnor, dayglo yellow is the best colour! Unfortunately, mine are now held together with bits of tape (they're not Norrøna, mind you) and my replacements are more of a tomato red, due to the lack of dayglo yellow available at the end of last season. They'll still be joining me on the EoSB though, assuming they survive that long.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the Arcteryx vs Norrona thing...

I have kit from both of them - more from Norrona as I'm a child and like bright colours, but I also LOVE my Arc Atom LT jacket.

- Both have great design and features, especially the details (all about the cuffs!)
- Arcteryx maybe slightly better build quality (>5%)
- Acertyx often just a little more expensive
- Arcteryx colours are getting kinda boring; Norrona always have bright funky colours as well as the more subdued ones

I'd also chuck Sweet Protection out there - probably sit in between Arc and Norrona on all those things, though generally with a slightly looser fit (as in relaxed cuts, not American fat).

But frankly anything from the Sport Pursuit GoreTex sale will work for the OP at much cheaper prices.
snow report
@clarky999, I agree on the cuffs. There are very few trousers/bibs these days with proper zipped cuffs. I have way too much kit from Arcteryx and Norrona Very Happy

I switched to Norrona after seeing some pictures of myself touring/off-piste were I completely disappeared against the rock/tree background when when wearing my all black Arcteryx. At the time, I think the Arcteryx designer was colour blind, as the colour choice was bizarre to say the least (and in the UK we only got 10% of the range at the time). Now that Arcteryx have retail stores in London the range is much wider. I bought my Norrona at the sadly missed 47 Degrees in Fulham.
latest report
Maireadoconnor wrote:
@PowderAdict, I'm delighted; I've always fancied a pair of dayglo yellow trousers Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have dayglo yellow Norrona Lofoten trousers (£100 from EB because a fashionista handed them back). The best by far but difficult to get cheap.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, interesting point.

Some time ago we happened to be in a particularly good end of season sale in Vancouver. Two friends are guides and a quick phone call resulted in a purchase of a pair of Mountain Hardwear XCR Gore Tex and a pair of Arc'teryx (no idea of details, only know about the MH ones as I have a pair myself).

The two guides have similar workloads (run the same company). The Arc'teryx lasted three times longer than the MH ones, similar spec, similar price.

Has to be said my MH ones lasted uh, 550 ski days? which I won't complain about.
ski holidays
I got some rather nice Prada ski pants off ebay a few years ago. They do work well in Italy Smile
latest report
Here's an update after a trip to E&B at Tamworth this morning

Scott- lovely but I struggled to get my Chris Hoy size things in them. End up looking like Louis Spence!!

Norman's was great, North Face pretty good but.......I either need to lose about 6 in from my waist and buy a Small or grow 6 in and stick to a Large

Do any manufacturers make a 'short leg' version????
latest report
@charliesimpson, I know Arcteryx make some of their trousers in 3 lengths (Short, Regular, Tall). Short are 2" shorter, and Tall are 3" longer. Now that there are Arcteryx shops in London, you may be able to get hold of them.

http://www.arcteryx.com/sizing-chart.aspx?EN/men-s-relaxed-fit-bottom-sizing-chart
snow report
I think these are quite a steal from tacky maxx http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-mens-clothing/electric-blue-victor-ultimate-rider-pants/invt/31000849 they seem very well made and 20k/40k for £50 can't be complained at.
snow report
Sometimes a thread really can circle the rabbit hole of "who gives a ****"!

But, getting, having a cold, wet bum is a miserable experience.
. so, any reasonably priced name-brand gear should meet your needs. Hit the discount/Web sources and never pay "retail".
snow conditions
Quote:
I'm fed up with getting a wet backside when sitting on snow covered chairlifts and realise that its due to my cheap Trespass ski pants.

IME Trespass make decent guy and unlike many usually clearly state their waterproof and breathability rating. Do yours have those?

Quote:
How waterproof do they beed to be? Hyvent2, 10k, 20k, etc etc

I have pants with a 5k rating (Surfanic) and they are fine. Jackets are more important from a general skiing point of view and I try get jackets at 10k.

Quote:
I'm fed up with getting a wet backside when sitting on snow covered chairlifts.

You probably already know but it's a good idea to try and brush the snow off before you get on to mitigate against this if you can. But my Surfanics have held up pretty well anyhow.
snow report
@Lordzigzag, I'm now the proud owner of some Rip Curl pants for the princely sum of £50. Not too baggy at all. Thanks v much
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy