Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Been there - Tignes!

Poster: A snowHead
Having got some good and useful input last year I'm trying again this time around...

Group of 10 late twenties/early thirties, couples and singles
Couple of expert skiers, through all levels of intermediate down to one total beginner - lots of nice cruisy blues and reds with a few proper blacks thrown in
Going for a week in March outside of hols
Thinking about France this year (and would like a chalet)
Good apres important but doesn't need to be Ibiza on snow
Will probably go the package route - most people live in and around London.
Budget around £800ea for flights, transfers, accommodation

The company we use (which is very good) chucks suggestions for loads of places at us so it's helpful to narrow it down a bit with the collective wisdom of Snowheads - any stand-out places to consider?

Tvm!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-03-16 10:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes, Morzine or Alpe d'Huez would be my suggestions. Although if it's warm, ADH's many south-facing slopes suffer (despite lots of snow-making).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HoneyBunny, thanks, Tignes is at the top of our current list - we're also now looking at Meribel...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
les arcs. very varied skiing and interesting client
base. it's the Saab of the skiing world
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Curzonian, why would you go down the package route? Living near London your flights are going to be cheap enough to DIY... anyway so where have they suggested?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Standard reply: buy a book.

Where to ski and snowboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Snowboard-2016-Chris-Gill/dp/0955866375?tag=amz07b-21
Hardy's skiing and snowboarding guide: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardys-Skiing-Snowboarding-Guide-2009/dp/1860114083/?tag=amz07b-21
(now out of print)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks @altis, that's useful thanks

@under a new name, just to save on hassle tbh, i know the company and am happy to put business their way and i can't imagine (i may well be wrong) that i would save that much doing it myself. The OH and I DIY a separate break each year and it always seems to end up costing a lot!

Suggestions from them:
Les Arcs
Tignes
Courcheval 1650
Avoriaz
La Rosiere

and on our request have put together options for Meribel and St Anton (a couple of the group are keen on the latter, we're already thinking not because of the beginner and a couple of the newer skiers)

@cameronphillips2000, intrigued - always quite like the Saabs (not the estates)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the advice to perhaps not go to St Anton with beginners is about right.
Never been to Les Arcs, but I think it probably has something for everyone.

I'd second votes for Tignes, Courchevel 1650, Courchevel 1850-if you can find a good value chalet-it's got some great easy skiing immediately above and around the village, as does La Tania. La T has a good selection of chalets, mostly ski in ski out or close to ski in ski out. La T isn't huge on nightlife, but it does have a good lively bar and is an easy bus or taxi to Courchevel. Val Thorens is great for beginners, though maybe a little soulless (not unlike Tignes, but possibly better nightlife). Meribel, good night life, but for beginners, I think you may need to choose the location of your chalet carefully to enable easy access to and from the gentler slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Meribel would be great for most of the group, but I'm not sure it would be ideal for the beginners and more timid intermediates. Many of the runs into the valley are steep and get very busy. This is only my opinion/memory though, the people who know the 3Vs much better than me may say otherwise. Apres will be great though, and the 3 Vs has plenty of terrain and nice black runs to keep the experts happy. There are more suitable resorts than St Anton for beginners IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
3vs, lots of variation and plenty of options for different levels to meet up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree to Honeybunney re Meribel. I recall the runs down to Chaudanne when I was an early intermediate were a bit of a struggle. I think if I was taking beginners to the 3v, I'd go to Courchevel 1650.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes! Lovely gentle runs over in 1650, I've had some wonderful cruisey afternoons over there. Thanks for backing up my memories @Perty!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it's France remember the first week of March is still school holidays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, and good point @pam w, we are looking at w/c 5th/6th or 12th/13th March. Think both are just outside French school hols? Definitely do want to avoid!

It does seem like Tignes is becoming the best choice - assume it's high enough to make w/c 13th March not an issue snow-wise?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
Agree to Honeybunney re Meribel. I recall the runs down to Chaudanne when I was an early intermediate were a bit of a struggle. I think if I was taking beginners to the 3v, I'd go to Courchevel 1650.

+1. Loved 1650, great for beginners.
latest report
Curzonian wrote:
Thanks all, and good point @pam w, we are looking at w/c 5th/6th or 12th/13th March. Think both are just outside French school hols? Definitely do want to avoid!

It does seem like Tignes is becoming the best choice - assume it's high enough to make w/c 13th March not an issue snow-wise?

Snow-wise Tignes will be fine, as will all the others you've listed (barring the exceptional.....).
Beginner-wise, Tignes isn't the best in my experience.
latest report
Snow will be lovely. I go to Val mid-March every year, and the last couple of years the conditions have been superb. Really quite wintry in fact and not slushy, even at resort level. A few years ago it was very warm and sunny for the week but the snow still held up well.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, @jellemr, thanks both - we may have missed boat on Courcheval 1650 this time round but definitely one to consider for next year when we may well have 2/3 second timers.

The Tignes deal we have looks good - FTA, catered chalet, sole use for the ten of us for £650.
latest report
@Curzonian, check where in Tignes the chalet is.

When we went to Tignes as beginners we chose a "great deal" with a UK chalet co., but ended up in Brevieres.
As more experienced skiers Brevieres would be fine, but for beginners it was a bit of a nightmare and it did put us off skiing a bit.

There was a bit of a walk down some steep ish steps to the base station, then we had to get the bus up to Tignes proper for our ski lessons (as we weren't able to ski the run from the top of the Brev bubble down into Tignes proper. As I said, for experienced skiers not a problem, for beginners it was a very tiring and long winded start to the day.
snow report
Thanks @jellemr, It's on les almes near le lac - i always check though tbf the guy i book through is always very clear about location. The chalet will obv only be fairly basic hence the price - it'll suit us though and you get what you pay for!
snow conditions
@Curzonian, should be fine there, enjoy!
snow report
@Curzonian, not sure that Tignes would be best for the beginners. I would more likely go for Courcheval but it does cost more
latest report
For now one still has Canada, Chile, Argentina, Japan and New Zealand.............................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11955742/We-are-seeing-the-last-dying-days-of-open-frontiers-in-Europe.html
snow report
@Curzonian, sounds great, I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time!
ski holidays
Your group ages/ski levels almost matches our ski group.

We went to Val Thorens last year. We paid £800 for accom/flights (from bristol) ski hire, ski passes and transfers mid January.

We booked through Crystal I think, I cant remember the name of the apartments i'm afraid. (Very basic but literally on the slopes).

Skiing suited everyone, apres ski was fantastic. Highly recommend.
latest report
A quick update rather than a full TR as there is plenty of info around on Tignes.

10 of us last week, Tignes Le Lac
Approach to Chambery airport was either exciting or terrifying depending on your attitude to flying!
Incredible week had by all, amazing weather and skiing
Slopes were really quiet - or perhaps so big that they felt quiet - getting up to the Grande Motte on the very first funicular and then lifts and being some of the first people back down to Val Claret was a highlight
Snowfinders provided superb customer service as usual
Skitotal were great, chalet very good, food and wine excellent and chalet host was best any of us have had, credit to their company - good value for money
Skiset the ski hire company in resort were pretty shambolic but equipment was good
We used TDC for a few private lessons which were very good. Three of us had a lesson from @Steve Angus's wife Clare which was top notch
Apres in Tignes wasn't the best but Loop for immediate apres was fine
Some of the more relaxed skiers very much enjoyed the "spa" and pool in Tignes Le Lac which you can get into with your lift pass
snow report
Ha just reviewed my post and see that skiset are not a favourite of Snowheads! Absolutely right i reckon!
snow conditions
Considering all round requirements, personally I'd go:
1. Val D'Isere ticks all the boxes...if you hunt for best priced deals and early booking discounts (much better by next March for beginners, as new Solaise lifts, magic carpets, tranquille zones, would all be in place by then...on top of a proper mountain)
2. La Daille (easy access to all EK, frequent bus to Val D for apres, decent home runs such as OK and Orange)
3. Courchevel 1850, if you can push the budget a bit
4. Courchevel 1650
5. Tignes (doubt it does the après too well and higher altitude usually = higher prices)
6. Les Arcs 1800 (best Arcs base IMO for ski access, après, smart leisure centre and getting around Paradiski)

Once you've decided town / area, easier to search on or get tips about specific accommodation. Or are you prioritising accommodation over which town??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@intermediate, ah, sorry - i perhaps should have started a new thread / changed the name! We have been and gone now!
ski holidays
@Curzonian, no worries, glad you all had such a great time. EK my overall favourite. Was it good for your beginner? Do you mind me asking which chalet you stayed in?
Confirmed my impressions on limited apres in Tignes. Harry's Bar down in Lavachet used to be quite lively back in the day, but I don't bother now.

I took advantage of widespread great snow conditions to have a fantastic week in lower altitude Megeve, with 450k of piste to go at, across Evasion Mont Blanc.
Looking to return to EK in mid April though, assuming you've left us a bit of snow. wink
snow report
@intermediate, yep, i had my eyes opened by the sheer scale of the place and the variety of pistes! We did a fair bit of exploring across Tignes and Val and still left some to come back to.

Our beginner turned out to not be a complete beginner actually, she'd been three times before though not for a few years and she was very rusty. She enjoyed it very much on the blues, particularly with the ability to find wide relatively empty pistes but did decide she wanted to come down Trolles with us one afternoon instead of downloading and had a bit of a wobble (she was insistent). She also decided against getting herself a lesson or two which would definitely have helped (a point she conceded towards the end of the week).

We stayed in Chalet Chamoix, small bedrooms but good communal area and incredible views. It might have been a bit cosy for groups who didn't know each other but the ten of us are all mates so it worked really well. Nicola the chalet host was awesome.

sounds excellent - we had a discussion while out there about next year and Evasion was mentioned by one of the group though 3V got a big shout.

plenty of snow while we were there, very jealous of you seeing out the season!
ski holidays
Quote:

5. Tignes (doubt it does the après too well and higher altitude usually = higher prices)

Not in the Espace Killy - Tignes is, on the whole, much cheaper.

As for Apres, it depends what floats your boat, many of us couldn't give a tuppeny fig for prancing around in expensive bars to try and get an immediate posting on FB or the latest SM craze.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy