Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A sobering reportage on the Stevens Pass avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend was a friend of Jimmy Jack, one of the victims. She sent me this this morning and I thought it worth sharing.

http://youtube.com/v/cjzT15-oQq0&sns=em

Let's be careful out there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sobering. I don't know if you've seen it previously, but there was a big write up in the NYT a couple of years ago which is quite an interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, yeah, I saw that at the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet, remember reading that at the time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
Very sobering. I don't know if you've seen it previously, but there was a big write up in the NYT a couple of years ago which is quite an interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/

Interesting read, and well written. Think that 'sobering' sums it up perfectly. I wasn't even skiing back in 2012 so not something I'd heard about before, however it's interesting to hear about experienced back country skiers who still get caught up in the excitement and can't bring themselves to speak up when they see the warning signs. No one wants to pull the handbrake on a party, but sometimes you have to go with your gut.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

No one wants to pull the handbrake on a party, but sometimes you have to go with your gut.

I was skiing many years ago with the same chum who sent me the link and the group had a "one head veto policy", initiated by herself, i.e. one no means no go.

Anyhoo, we found ourselves overlooking a particularly toothsome pitch of powder. No particular avvy danger that we could see, but none of could remember the topography of the slope further down.

So as we turned to head elsewhere, she whopped and said something rude and headed off down...

Nothing untoward happened other than a small drop off an unexpected cliff but it rather reinforced just how strict you have to be with yourselves, particularly when the adrenalin's buzzing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for posting it. That was a really nasty "human factor" scenario. A big group of experienced back country skiers who don't know each other all that well. Some pros - so a few of the keen amateurs will have been conscious about how they fitted in the pecking order. Perhaps even with a bit to prove. A tendency to think "well if THEY think its OK...". Not being comfortable to put a dampener on things with people you don't know well. The circumstances for having open, thoughtful debates about the risks and what the options were was really bad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Nothing untoward happened other than a small drop off an unexpected cliff but it rather reinforced just how strict you have to be with yourselves, particularly when the adrenalin's buzzing.

Indeed, with my limited experience I haven't venture off piste, and probably won't for some time, but I'm aware that I'm prone to be impulsive and a tad reckless.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy