Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zello — turn your smart phone into a walkie-talkie

Poster: A snowHead
Just given this a good try-out the past few days: www.zello.com. It's free to use and download.

It turns your smart phone into a walkie-talkie. You can create a group or "channel" for your ski trip, and then add your friends or "contacts" to the group. Then with the push of a button, you can talk to everyone at once. Add a headset like Apple's, with a push button on it, and you can tuck your phone in your jacket and just push-to-talk from the headset.

It also records all your conversations for later replay. Works over wifi and mobile data such as 3G/4G etc. And it uses very little bandwidth. With the new EU roaming regulations, it can be very cost-effective; plus THREE are now doing some amazing deals for foreign data, even outside the EU. And note that most smartphone enable to restrict which apps are using the mobile data - so your email will not be downloading huge attachments in the background.

High quality audio and very stable. I've already created my ski groups for next year!

I've created a channel (group) for SnowHeads everywhere! So you can sign-up for the app, and then search for the group and add yourself.

In your profile, you can state your skiing location [eg: St Anton, Austria], and then folks can chat and maybe even hang-out on the slopes.

http://zello.me/k/dLmdg

[I've messaged SnowHeads admin to check they are happy with this, as don't want to step on anyone's toes]

The app is also perfect for the SnowHeads bashes, as the whole group can communicate at once.

And channels could be created for different resorts. e.g.: "SnowHeads Meribel, France", so you can see who is on the slopes with you.

NOTE: I'm not involved with this product in anyway. Just enthusiastic!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-10-15 16:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's free to use and download what funds it? Advertising based on where you are? If not now, later when a user base has been established?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How is Zello different to Skype?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@achilles, I think they're really targeting the US corporate PTT market which is not free to use.

@PeDaSp, are you involved? as there isn't a great deal of real info on the website. Does it maintain a constantly open channel over mobile data? Battery impact?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dogwatch wrote:
How is Zello different to Skype?

Well, It's got a PTT button... you'd have to double-tap the 'mute mic' buttons on skype or FB messengers... *cough*
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@achilles, It's free to use for ordinary folk and small businesses. Once you get bigger you pay for their @work solution, or their enterprise solution. They have big corporate customers like IKEA and TNT. This model works well for many different types of software.

@dogwatch, Skype requires you to pick a contact and dial/connect to that person. Zello is just like a walkie-talkie, you just push to talk to whole groups at a time.

@under a new name, No, I'm not involved, just enthusiastic! Channel is always open, but in a clever way that minimise processor and battery drain. I've been trialling it for a few days, and my battery has held-up just fine, no big drain. But YMMV. I have a modern iPhone. Plus remember that batteries drain much faster in the cold! So the proof will be a test on the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeDaSp, hmmm. I shall ponder. My wife doesn't have a modern iPhone. Hers was hand made by craftspeople in the latter years of WW1 and only proved useless as there was no-one else to talk to.

it works fine now of course, only pig is trying to find new main springs for the clockwork.

"Modern" iPhone indeed, there's no such thing as a not-modern iPhone... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@PeDaSp,

"Modern" iPhone indeed, there's no such thing as a not-modern iPhone... rolling eyes

Thank you! You made me smile big time! Laughing Laughing

It just such a sign of the times that I would unconsciously use such a phrase.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeDaSp, ha ha indeed. I remember my first look at an iPhone. But then, I had been discussing "convergence" with techy types for some time...

and I used to pick up email on my old Nokia 6310i, in 2002(?)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
...and I used to pick up email on my old Nokia 6310i, in 2002(?)

Show off!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
6310 - I've still got mine.... Very Happy

It's in my 'man drawer' along with some Greek Drachma old keys etc etc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boredsurfin, great phone. if I still had one, I'd be using it. for all the things that an iPhone is crap at. i.e making phone calls and texting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeDaSp wrote:
@dogwatch, Skype requires you to pick a contact and dial/connect to that person. Zello is just like a walkie-talkie, you just push to talk to whole groups at a time.

You can create groups in Skype and contact them. That used to be a chargeable extra but is now free.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The whole point of walkie-talkies is that they can work where mobile phones don't. If you have mobile reception and/or wi-fi, what's wrong with using the phone as intended or one of the apps that are probably already there? good that it's free because it doesn't really add much value. How much battery does it drain?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:

You can create groups in Skype and contact them. That used to be a chargeable extra but is now free.

Yes — and Skype is a fantastic app for phone call conversations and of course video conferencing. The quality is amazing Very Happy

But if you were to use Skype in that fashion on the slopes, then everyone would have to answer the call to join the group, and then all their microphones would be open at the same time, and that would get very noisy indeed with all the skiing! Also everything you say will be overheard by everyone all the time. Plus all your breathing, and ordering those drinks at the bar at 11am Very Happy

And of course, as we have all experienced with big group chats, folks are always talking over each other. In addition, Skype has to use a fair bit of bandwidth to keep the conversation high quality in real time. And of course lots of battery to keep the channel open the whole time for talking.

With Zello, it's just like a walkie-talkie. You can hear everything, but push to talk. And if someone else is talking, you can't override that and butt in. So there is only the background noise of the person speaking.

Also, as Zello (and any walkie-talkie app) can tolerate some slight transmission delay, it does not need to use so much bandwidth. And it has much lower battery usage. Plus, it records all the conversation for playback if you did not hear something or missed it.

Give it a go — it's free! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 21-10-15 20:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
The whole point of walkie-talkies is that they can work where mobile phones don't. If you have mobile reception and/or wi-fi, what's wrong with using the phone as intended or one of the apps that are probably already there? good that it's free because it doesn't really add much value. How much battery does it drain?

Best way is to describe it in practice, and then think about how you would do that with a mobile phone:

1. You are a group of 6 skiing, and you each have Zello an an earpiece with a button. Your smart phone is always in your pocket.

2. You get halfway down the mountain, and lose sight of your friends. You reach a junction.

3. You push the button on your earpiece, and ask which way to go, left or right.

4. All your friends hear you talk. One of them pushes his button, and tells you which way to go.

5. Everyone else hears the exchange, and so do not need to reply.

So it has cost you nothing (apart from roaming bandwidth which is free or very cheap these days).

You never took your phone out of your pocket. It uses a very reasonable and manageable amount of battery life.

Bonus:

Someone broadcasts where everyone is meeting for lunch, and gives a description of where to go. But you were skiing, and did not hear it all. So you stop, and pull your phone out. In two pushes, you can reply the message.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, hang on to those Greek drachmas! They might come in useful one day!
ski holidays
Its been around for years!
ski holidays
This sounds a very interesting app,
I'll have to give it a go "Breaker Breaker!"

I've still got a Nokia 101 .. its a very early model .. 1993
(could be the very first GSM handset ever sold in the UK)

I don't think I'll that's going to work though, even if I could get some charge into the batteries.

Should run on the Samsung though, but I'll have to keep a spare battery warm somewhere cozy.
latest report
CQ CQ CQ DX ....

On channel and by for a call.
latest report
PeDaSp wrote:

So it has cost you nothing (apart from roaming bandwidth which is free or very cheap these days).

thats not quite tru thouh is it ......
snow report
Charliebigpotatoes wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

thats not quite tru thouh is it ......

ahem…. Little Angel Little Angel

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3store_brand_SIM_FAH_p2
snow conditions
Seems like an easy way for someone to disrupt and redirect previously agreed lunch plans to me.
snow conditions
You can do the same thing with a What's App group...
ski holidays
essex wrote:
Seems like an easy way for someone to disrupt and redirect previously agreed lunch plans to me.

Exactly! rolling eyes

I remember the good old pre-mobile days when you all decided where to eat for lunch, and behold, everyone turned-up at the allotted time and place.

Now, there is alway someone who has found somewhere better, or is too far away, and they persuade folks to join them and the group get split.

But at least this way with apps like these, everyone is on the same channel, and so you can hear the plotting and scheming and nip it in the bud.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
You can do the same thing with a What's App group...

Noooo…. you can only leave voice messages with Whatsapp. So you have to take your phone out and play them one-by-one.
latest report
So basically when you really need a walkie-talkie this thing is useless. It's mainly for people who can't keep up with their friends… We just send them a message telling where we'll wait at what time. Hasn't been an issue. If they are so cool that can't take their phones in their hands they should be cool enough to keep up.
latest report
Quote:

Skype is a fantastic app for phone call conversations and of course video conferencing. The quality is amazing

I'm loving your enthusiasm but I find, especially mobile, that Skype is crap quality (I roam in areas with patchy coverage a lot) and for those of us who have seen the light, Facetime (which is not peer distributed) is waaaayyy better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never summer wrote:
So basically when you really need a walkie-talkie this thing is useless. It's mainly for people who can't keep up with their friends… We just send them a message telling where we'll wait at what time. Hasn't been an issue. If they are so cool that can't take their phones in their hands they should be cool enough to keep up.

Spot on! Laughing

Maybe we should just confiscate all mobiles at the start of the day — things would run much smoother I think. Laughing
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Skype is a fantastic app for phone call conversations and of course video conferencing. The quality is amazing

I'm loving your enthusiasm but I find, especially mobile, that Skype is crap quality (I roam in areas with patchy coverage a lot) and for those of us who have seen the light, Facetime (which is not peer distributed) is waaaayyy better.

I used to find that to be the case; but recently the opposite has been true for some reason. I think it's something to do with FaceTime being implemented in different ways in different parts of the world due to patent issues. But could be to do with your connection quality. Still, these are "first" world problems as they say Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Actually, one could argue that provision of wireless connectivity is very much a 3rd world problem Happy
snow conditions
Yep i like the phone free walkie talkie free approach. Hell i don't use piste maps.
snow report
PeDaSp wrote:
I remember the good old pre-mobile days when you all decided where to eat for lunch, and behold, everyone turned-up at the allotted time and place.

Since I ski with the last person in the Alps who doesn't carry a mobile, we still do. It works. Usually.
snow conditions
This is just like when I got my first CB in 1979 ...
There was nobody to talk to ...

Is there anybody out there?
....Is there anybody out there?
........Is there anybody out there?
.............Is there anybody out there?
snow conditions
I installed it yesterday and had to uninstall it again. When I received an inbound call (normal phone call) it was coming through on loudspeaker. According to my phone it wasn't on speaker and toggling the speaker icon didn't help. I then tried quitting the app totally as it was still sitting in the background but that didn't work either. I'll let the developers know as it clearly is a bug on a Galaxy S5 running 5.0.
snow conditions
Sounds like a decent idea, however the main issue I'd have is not wearing an ear piece. That's the same problem with a walkie talkie though.
ski holidays
breaker breaker, one four
what's your 10 20?
they should do eyeball cards too

would be concerned by battery usage, not just the app doing whatever, but all the other c**p like facebook that will start getting greedy tracking whatever it can because it sees a data connection.

I tend to ski with the friends that I intend skiing with rather than all of us be anti social and meet up for lunch. Then there's a phone/sms if someone goes the wrong way 3 times in a row.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
This is just like when I got my first CB in 1979 ...
I was there!
Well, maybe it was 1980... and there were loads of people on-air. I got a US made walkie talkie off someone (he only had one) and could hear people talking but couldn't respond. I found a book in the library about CB and listed the frequencies used, went to a model shop and got a 24mhz RC crystal that was as close as I could find to one of the CB channels and soldered it in. Instantly I annoyed a guy with a huge breakdown truck, a few streets away, as he always monitored the emergency channel, which I just happened to have landed on. However, through him I gained access to that other world, hidden in plain sight, acquired my first rig and talked to and met up with a bunch of randoms. Plus ça change etc...
ski holidays
Yep i enjoyed CB back around 80, well at least for a few months until i found my car with a smashed window and a big hole in the dash Smile
snow report
I'm going to leave it running on my phone today .. unless it really annoys my misses. Saturday.

But If anyone can give me a call I'll be happy to exchange QSL cards Very Happy
via the bureau.

Da dee Da!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy