Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angles advice

Poster: A snowHead
Just need a bit of advice as per edge angles

My rossi zeniths Z76 ti need to have a grind as the base edge has had it, because as much as i sharpen the side edge (87 degrees) they don't get sharp enough anymore, I don't do that much piste skiing and even though they are 5 years old, they have never been base ground.

I normally get the base edge done at 1 degree on a very rare grind, but would getting it done at 0.7 have any drawbacks?, and leave room for re-cutting to 1 degree when its gets tired? (0.5 may be a bit twitchy for me?)

I would love to send them to the piste office, but that is not practical at all, so ski clinic in cluses will have to do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No disrespect to Jon but I think Denis Soto does know what he is doing. Why not ask when you take them in.

How often do you file the base angle ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, Except cleaning it up gently with a iron oxide stone if there are any dings, just a bit of light polishing with a 1000 diamond stone, other than that its left as it is, as any more just increases the angle otherwise.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, you'd be able to increase the base edge angle from 0.7 to 1. Like you say, try 0.7 and see how you find it. If your edges are engaging a little too early for your liking then I'd suggest going back to 1 degree as you had them set before.

Another word of advice, base grinds are not all equal. Belt grinding and stone grinding are pretty different. Find somebody with a decent stone grinder, although more importantly, they must know how to use it! You get what you pay for.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you can get them to cluses have you tried concept in Chamonix, they have a fancy machine for all that stuff...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zorrac, Filing the base won't increase the angle if you use a guide, I use one of these, I only do one pass each time though.

eddiethebus, Ski Clinic have a "fancy machine".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Zorrac, what level are you at in your skiing? Cant hurt trying a .5 base to see how you get on. If you know how to do your side edges you can always increase your base angle without too much hassle if you dont get on with the lower base. I like a .5 as an all rounder and you can try that then move up to .75 and onto 1 to play around with it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/wt8umGjq10I to set base edge
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, I am told by the boys that Concept's fancy machine is fancier than Ski Clinic's. In fact it's (at least was last season) the fanciest in France.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, I do use a guide, I have a set of them from jon, but try to avoid using a file, just the diamond stones

@skimottaret, level depends on how fit I am!, and how confident, these days I ski mostly off piste, enjoy tree skiing (in the trees not on piste) (which the grand massif has a reasonable amount when the snow is good low down) Do about 8 weeks a year, and have done so for 25 years or so.

I have never really tried anything other than 1 degree, so I could try it at 0.5 and recut if I don't like it, they are piste skis after all
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Zorrac, if you mainly do off piste base angle has little to no influence in how a ski performs. Do you use different skis for on and off piste?

Can you cleanly carve on pisted runs? have a look at our levels guidelines http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret, Have different pairs for off piste, rossi s3 for bumps and all round off piste as they are quick, elan chainsaw for deeper off piste. The zeniths are just for on piste days when the snow is rubbish off, on your scale I am a 9 /10, yes i can cleanly carve turns, but don't tend to ski that fast these days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zorrac, you should have a go at .5 degree base on your piste skis, you may find em a bit more fun !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
@Zorrac, you should have a go at .5 degree base on your piste skis, you may find em a bit more fun !

+1

I ski on piste and use 0.5 on my skis SL, GS. Would not consider anything else on piste.

At 9/10 on the inside out std's you should easily be able to cope and appreciate the difference, so give it a try after all as you say you can change to 0.7 if need be but 1.0 is way too tame at your level unless your on super g skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
y'r all lightweights. My SLs are on 0.0 base...
latest report
@under a new name, so are mine NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
Edges, edges, we dont need no stinkin' edges.
ski holidays
Thanks for the above, I think I will give 0.5 base a try, may make piste more interesting again
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy