Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My new ski are in bad shape now

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody, i'm new to this forum and I would like to talk about the problem that I encoutered today.

First of all, last week, I bought a brand new pair of nordica speed machine 12. I skied with them 2 times since then and now, the base of my ski (underneith) is in bad shape. It looks like I have hitten a rock or something. There's a small part of ''plastic'' that as gone and now, I can see the wood of the ski. This hole (scratch) is right near the edge. It's like 1 inch by half inch wide.

Here it is, my vendor told my today that they can repair them with a stuff (like plastic filler) and they will after perform a polishing. Do you think this reparation will last long ? Is it the good choice to make ?

Thanks a lot... I'm pretty upset right now about that situation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good tech will sort you right out. Nothing to worry about. A good tech mind. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bases get damaged all the time. Unfortunately its different when it happens to you, isn't it Skullie . It shouldnt hamper your performance in the slightest, most people have plenty of skis that have been in the wars. As long as they know what they are doing, which they should, have no fear.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mobil1, welcome to snowheads, any decent ski shop will be to effect repairs, You won't even be able to see where the repair was.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-01-06 20:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mobil1, welcome. Does your user name reflect your car drinking 11 litres of the expensive stuff every service?

Talking services, as David@traxvax, says, you shouldn't be able to notice the repair, and the plastic they use is much cheaper than that 0W-40 stuff you otherwise use!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can someone recomend a decent tech in Val Thorens? my week old Atomic SuperCross SXs bases are looking rather battered, including 2 pritty deep trenches which go very near to the edge. was almost in tears when i got home, to top it all some idiot ESF instructor skied over the top of the back half of the skis taking a massive great chunk out. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_fatadder, Try CC Sports in the Altneige building, behind the Ski Rock Cafe. A small place, but they always do a good job with my skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mobil1, AS everyone says - the repair should be fine. Are you anything to do with drag racing - I remember a certain top fuel car called Mobil1 breaking the European record a few years ago....... David Murdoch, they drink about that per second I think!!!! and nitro methane at that!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mobil1, The important thing is to get the repair done asap particularly if it has exposed the core of the ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rocks ruin skis.
That's why instructors keep at least one pair of rock-hoppers in reserve for times in the winter when you can't avoid pesky little pieces of mountain.
Rental shops won't refuse business when pistes are scratchy, so keep pristine skis for good conditions - instead of wrecking them. There's no point in skiing top quality skis when it's inevitable that they will be ruined.
Rental skis should be respected and not abused recklessly.

As for getting skis repaired, it can be expensive. I sometimes use a method I learned 30 years ago. Small but deep damage can be filled with two-part epoxy glue like Araldite Rapid. Wait for the glue to harden, but not completely harden - about 10 mins - and then shave any excess glue with something like a Stanley knife to level the repair with the ski base and edges.

If anyone's got any up-to-date ideas of base repair products that are available for small DIY repairs like this, please post away. Patching of areas of damaged base can be done, but it's certainly a job for a pro, with the right tools and materials.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The important thing is to get the repair done asap particularly if it has exposed the core of the ski.

especially if its near the edge - you increase the risk of busting an edge out which is a much more serious repair
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If anyone's got any up-to-date ideas of base repair products that are available for small DIY repairs like this, please post away. Patching of areas of damaged base can be done, but it's certainly a job for a pro, with the right tools and materials.

For small areas of damage (not the large area as damaged bY Mobil1) use a Ptex stick. You light the end and the Ptex drips onto the ski. If the scratch is deep need to add it in thin layers. Then scrape it flat with a metal scraper. I've repaired my rock hoper skis that way, no problems. Not so good for larger areas of damage down to the base, or for filling the patch that has come out of the said rock hoper skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy