Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I picked the right resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I am completely new to skiing and this forum. We decided to go on our first family ski holiday this year. My husband is an expert skier verses me who is a complete novice. We have two children aged 6 and 3. For the past 7 years I have been pregnant or raising young children so my husband has being going every year with friends. When my youngest turned 3 (Last feb) we decided to take the children to MK indoor snow to see if they liked it first and foremost, also to see how I got on. Needless to say it was a success and decided we can start planning our first family ski holiday.
Since then we returned this time HH indoor (much better) and I started lessons. After 3 lessons I have been signed off to lift pass status (whoop whoop). The children have been booked in to 10 hours of lessons leading up to our holiday. I can spend this time with a lift pass and dipping in and out of skills lessons to make sure I’m on the right course and not picking up bad habits.
My holiday search began 2 months ago and took hours and hours of research. 1) A ski school were the children will be in the same age group lesson i.e 3-6 year olds (they are very close and this is an absolute must. 2) Accommodation right next to ski school drop off (over the road, not a 5-10 minute hike!) 3) good level of accommodation traveling with young children need to be able to relax in comfort. 4) Resort with plenty of green/blue run for me.
So we chose La Plagne staying at Aime la Plagne 2000. I was keen to book everything flights, accom, transfer, ski school before it gets book up. We decide to go 26/12/15-02/01/15.
Now two weeks down the line I am wondering about the things I didn’t check? Will there be snow? Have I just spent all this money to get to a ski resort and we can’t ski. I never thought about snow reports before. (crazy!! My main concern was the children) I have now been researching snow report history there isn’t much info out there for the dates we are going. I have checked onthesnow and subscribed to the email alerts. Has anyone been to la Plagne this time of the year before? I would greatly appreciate anyone who has been for these dates or know any info on the snow at this time.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there's no snow in La Plagne at Christmas they'll be a lot of unhappy people in the whole of the alps, it's a high resort with a glacier and at 2000m you'll be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you so much for the quick response. That's what I thought I just got a bit concerned when I was looking at historic snow reports for December.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Other than last season which had a really poor start and had many people twitching while doing hourly webcam checks (myself included), usually any resort above 1600m is a safe bet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not the prettiest resort (a contender for the ugliest, in fact) but you're very unlikely to have any hassles with snow, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given your experience levels and the requirement to make it as easy as possible for you & your family I think you have picked an excellent resort. Aime 2000 is as ski in & out as you can possibly get, it starts with a green run that you can lap to your heart's content to build confidence and at 2000m you will have no issues with snow. Have a great holiday.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh gosh I know, ugly! I googled street mapped it hundreds of times before booking to ensure the distance of the ski school. As our first family ski holiday the focus was on ensuring the kids would be together and happy rather then the pretty factor, we can save that for when they are older and more confident.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@A new addict,

It's not clear if you have or haven't - so please book some lessons for yourself. Don't let hubby try and teach you or drag you down runs you are not ready for.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With your list, I think you have picked a very good resort. Smile If there is no snow for you there, there will be almost nothing for large parts of the Northern alps. Beginners area is good for the little ones and there are plenty of good greens/blues for you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skitrack wrote:
@A new addict,

It's not clear if you have or haven't - so please book some lessons for yourself. Don't let hubby try and teach you or drag you down runs you are not ready for.

+1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@A new addict, you were right to concentrate on the kids. As you know, happy kids, happy holidays. Unhappy kids, not so happy hols. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Get some lessons as @skitrack said and don't let the other half drag you down anything daft.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had lessons at HH weekly and been signed off meaning I can purchase a lift pass on my own now. I have the children booked in for lessons at HH every weekend until we go plus extra alpine day courses during this half term and the early school Christmas holidays. During those visits I will been practicing on my own with a lift pass and having extra lessons (skills Development) here and there. Planning on fitting in 25 hours between now and boxing day.

During this holiday we wont be going on any advanced (blue) runs I'm not ready for that, the whole idea is for us to spend time together and enjoy the nice gentle runs with coffee stops and lunch breaks. We've haven't had any time just us enjoying a hobby since we had the kids. I know others might drag their partner off etc but he wouldn't. Plus he has bought new skis instead of his super duper fast ones for the greens and gentle blues. Its more about us spending time together and enjoying a leisurely stroll down the gentle runs then racing off skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@A new addict, I'll be amazed if you're not all doing blue runs after a week. Some of you will probably manage some easy reds.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@A new addict, if you haven't skied in a resort before and given your aims, I would highly recommend booking a private lesson (either just you or both of you together) with Oxygene. I had a private 2hr with them with my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed it (so much we then booked a second for later in the week). I got a LOT out of it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the tips, I will have a look at oxygene. We are using esf for the children so not familiar with oxygene.
snow report
I was recommend them and they were very good IMO.
snow conditions
A new addict, helpful posters have encouraged lessons, and strongly suggested you be very careful of your "expert" husband taking you on runs beyond your capability. This can't be overstated. However wonderful he is at sea level, something happens above 2000m as testosterone combines with hypoxia and most males start behaving like droogs from Clockwork Orange.

Your main worry in your original post was lack of snow. Please don't worry. I've been going to La Plagne before Christmas for the last 4 years - even last year there was decent skiing before christmas, and excellent skiing for your week.

Aime 2000 is excellent for beginners with a number of friendly green slopes right outside your door. And within that cruise-liner-up-a-mountain there are even some rather good restaurants.
snow conditions
Lime ski school impressed me last season.
ski holidays
Haha - a clockwork orange before my time but I'll take your word for it!

Looking up oxgene now!

I have watched a YouTube video of someone skiing "run down to plagne centre by Alex bolster". The cruise ship liner pops up in the background and I have to say from a long distance covered in snow it doesn't look as bad as other pictures/videos.

Thank you all for your help, really appreciate it.
snow conditions
A new addict,
that run
from top of Colosses (out of Bellecote) through Plagne Centre to bottom of the Bergerie lift is a fair example of the pleasant easy blue runs I'm sure you will be doing before the end of your week at Aime2000.

Re-reading your first post i see your husband continued to ski while you stayed at home bringing up your two children. I hope you have recouped suitable compensation for being so cruelly abandoned these past 7 years. Toofy Grin
latest report
@A new addict,

"During this holiday we wont be going on any advanced (blue) runs I'm not ready for that..." Shocked Shocked

Sorry to disappoint/please you but I think you'll find that HH is as steep/flat as a Blue run in the Alps!

If you stick to green runs after 30 odd hours of indoor slopes, it will feel like skiing the gradient of your living room!!

From what you say I'm sure you could well be capable of red runs (never mind blues...) at some point on your trip! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Bergmeister is right, Hemel main slope is actually fairly steep. If you're used to that, then a blue run in decent condition should be fine for you. The nursery green runs in resort will usually be less steep than Hemel's training slope. More than that though, you'll be amazed how different it feels to be on a wide, quiet piste. I've never been on a mountain piste that's as busy as Hemel on a winter Saturday!

I also would still recommend having some lessons in resort. You will need to learn about chairlifts, changing light levels, changing snow conditions, etc. Since you're already competent with some aspects of skiing, but totally new to others, a private lesson would be a good idea I think. It would be harder for you to find the right level in group lessons.

La Plagne has oodles of wide, predictable blue pistes. Should be a great choice for you. Enjoy!
ski holidays
You've chosen a fantastic resort. My wife and I did a season in La Plagne 10 years ago. Don't worry about the ugliness, the skiing is fantastic for your standard. Loads of lovely gentle blue runs, and a real sense of travelling around from village to village, rather than going up and down the same mountain. Oxygene are based in Plagne Centre which is a short easy run down from Aime2000 and are great. Reflex are great for private lessons. Christophe Lagu is the main guy and he has an English wife, so is very understanding of the different cultures and teaching practices.

At that time of year there will be no issue with snow. You and your family will have a great time.
latest report
@A new addict, I think it is time for a new husband, if he did not stay home and took care of the small children while you could have gone skiing with your friends. Twisted Evil
snow report
More excellent advice. Thank you all so much.

Yes, I allowed my husband to ski for 7 years! But I do live a very priviaged life, he is extremely generous, a wonderful father and husband. We kind of always had an understanding as he commutes and works extremely hard in London, which lets us live this amazing life so I more than happy to let him go skiing as I appreciate everything he does. No questions asked. To be honest I normal encourage him to go, rather than him leaving me.
latest report
Quote:
My wife and I did a season in La Plagne 10 years ago. Don't worry about the ugliness...
I'm sure you don't, the poor woman... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Laughing Laughing Laughing

@A new addict, I've been to La Plagne a couple of times the week BEFORE Christmas, and both times there was loads of snow. In fact the second time there was about 1.5 metres at resort level!! (Plagne Centre).

I hope you have a brilliant time, I think it's a great resort. You'll soon be bored on the greens wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think when most people are looking at snow reports they are thinking about off piste and powder. As long as its minus 2 or below at night they can make snow and the main pistes will be open. Sure they may be more crowded, but its not like you can't ski and will be fine for a family holiday. Enjoy!
latest report
Yes, have a few private lessons.

Are you sure ESF will have your two kids in the same class?
ski holidays
Yes, esf in Aime la plagne has a 3-6 year old ski school and then 7-12 years olds. They are both booked in to 3-6 snowflake together.

We wanted to ensure they where near each other for comfort if required. As long as they are in the same area it's fine. We didn't want the older one taken off to a different part and most other resorts only let 5+ do the snowflake stage and under 5's get put in to nursery.

They are in different schools here at home as my daughter goes to a girls school and at their tennis lessons normally in different groups but at the same club so they are use to some separation.

They are completely in love with each and say they want to get married and live together for ever. I have explained that brothers and sisters don't marry each other Shocked hopefully they will realise when they get a little older.
latest report
@A new addict, sadly as that gets older that seems to change, my 9 yr old periodically gets annoyed with my 6yr old trying to hug her. They clearly still love each other but I can see the normal sibling frustration starting to come in Sad
ski holidays
I shall treasure these years then. I have recorded their many role play weddings, were they kiss, have a dance and he produces a ring. I shall be playing it back when they are teenagers and can't stand each other. Very Happy
ski holidays
A great resort for your husband, but an expensive option for 3 novice skiers. New Year week is generally the busiest of the year, so be prepared for it being VERY busy on and off the slopes.

If I were at that stage again I would have chosen Xmas week, if I was limited to school holidays. The experience 2 weeks later in La Plagne would be massively cheaper and better.... and yes, I would take kids of that age out of school.
latest report
A new addict, if they are totally in love as you say, then both being in the same class may just work, but 6 years olds are very different physically from 3 year olds. Most 6 year olds would very quickly get very bored doing 3 year old stuff.
snow conditions
I agree with @Jonpim,
Just a word of caution from me. When Mrs B and I worked as instructors at our local dry slope the learning curve for 4 year olds (the youngest permitted age for ski kindergarten there) and 6 year olds was markedly different.

Consequently the emphasis was on play, with some skiing, for the 4 year olds; and skiing, with some play (ie ski related games) for the older ones.

It will be a real challenge for the children to both reach their full potential in the same class - a bit like trying to teach them maths or English in the same class... Nevertheless, it sounds like the ski school has experience of mixed groups so I hope all goes very well.

Whatever happens, first ski holidays (and subsequent ski hols, come to think of it!) are something special. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Expense wasn't a criteria, the main thing was the 3-6 ski school. Aime la plagne one of the only places. I've already started looking at the next holiday because the gap will be 4-7. These only about 5 resorts that offer this too.

My children go to private schools so can leave for holiday during term time without a problem. however they are only there 30 weeks of the year so it seems silly taking then out of school to go on holiday. They are current on half term for 2 weeks now.

Also my husband contracts on a day rate so that week is actually the cheapest option! It's only 3 working days giving the bank holidays. Any other week would mean 5 working days off which would be for more expensive then the new year price tag.
latest report
@A new addict, take a look at the Esprit offering they are really good for there support to families. We are going with them to Gressoney in April, we went with them to St Anton, Belle Plagne and Courchevel in previous years. The kids love the kids clubs and the extra support they give them in lessons for the younger ones.
snow conditions
@A new addict, Easter is a brilliant time to go skiing with kids, warmer, lighter, loads more fun. If you like it then give that a consideration next time.
ski holidays
+1 for Esprit. We use them all the time now. The kids are treated like VIPs. Food is always excellent too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy