Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heat molding liners at home

Poster: A snowHead
I pulled the trigger on a new pair of boots the other week up at Absolute in Hemel, (nice new '16 Vans Auras) but didn't have time to go through the whole heat molding process - wife was champing at the bit to get to Admins ski test rolling eyes .
Now, rather than having to schlep all the way back to Hemel to have to crouch for a quarter hour, and probably spending more cash on something shiney, I was thinking about a home bake solution. I've seen a suggestion that you can put the liners in the oven (electric NOT GAS!) at about 170 for 5 mins to simulate the in-store heat up process... Yeah I know I could ride 'em in but I could do without the day of agony.

Anyone done a home-brew fit before, or does that way lie madness?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought the whole point with snowboarding was boots that were comfy like slippers out of the box?

Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
170 for 5 minutes lol they'll be well cooked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, s'all a matter of proportion old boy, us - 15 mins of hot feet and crouching like you've pooped yourself, or a day of saying "Arrgh these hurt like B**tards!" as opposed to handing over a sack of rubies and emeralds to one of the ordained ministers of Church of Skiboot Fittery to hit your boots with hammers for a fortnight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@francium., mmm, thought that seemed 'excessive' - alt serving suggestion?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, It woudn't feel right without the pains.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, there's clubs for people like you...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, I had to remold one of mine as it was squishing my little toe. I just used a hair dryer, heated the liner out of the boot for 10 minutes take care not to blow the hair dryer up like one of my mates did by stuffing it to far into the liner. Then put the liner back into the boot as quickly as possible and lace up and wear for 15 minutes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The proper boot ovens have fans so the liners are evenly heated, a home oven might be ok... might not be .
Also depends if the liners are made of Ikea mattress stuffing and Halfords foam carwash sponges or ultralon foam .

Intuition details using the DIY rice method I probably would go with that too start diy rather than the cooker apocalypse .

https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/

Teton gravity has a number of threads including a hot water one just goggle intuition heat molding .

If nothing else the info might stop you roasting your liners which you wont ever see threads on .

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 20-10-15 21:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A blast from the past:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1430406
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rice, like it - plus I can have dinner afterwards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a look online at Auras liners they look like a stitched type no word of intuition so the above is probably just info.
Some stitched brand types (Salomon) only have the so called good foam in certain areas of the liner other upper range boot liners are supposedly 100% heat mold foam at more cost.
I,m not sure what you get under £200 with vans the auras sound a bit soft over on goodride but everyone seems to have different wants .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Under a new name ,
The whole point of snowboarding is powder the rest is waiting for it in your boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tirol 164, TBH anything is stiffer than what I've been riding in - I bought the old Encores back in 2005 but they kinda crawled off to die at the end of last season, so New Boots! Tried a couple of stiffer boots than the Auras, some 32s and some Rides, but didn't get on with them - found them really narrow, bone crushingly narrow. I must have unnaturally short, wide feet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164 wrote:
...The whole point of snowboarding is powder the rest is waiting for it in your boots.

wink I find that after a while the over-the-head powder gets a bit run of the mill, so I like the odd day at a resort, where I find a Kessler SL race board works pretty well. Some of my mates definitely don't ride hard pack, but then they don't have the right gear for it.
latest report
I wouldn't bother. I didn't with my last pair, just wore them around the house a few times + a couple of hours at Hemel and they're comfy as.
snow report
Wouldnt it work if you just wore them about the house at nights etc?
snow report
The guy running softboot carving camps at mygustasport used Vans Aura boots or used too he was on here previously .
snow conditions
Note if you do try it at home, my guess is that the 170 is Fahrenheit rather than Celsius! I.e. more like 70-80 C
ski holidays
I use 10 mins at 135°C.
snow report
I used a hairdryer and wore the boots round the house for a few hours
ski holidays
I've got 2014 Auras. Never got them heat moulded, just wore them around the house for a few hours.
Cracking boot, very comfy.
snow report
Epilogue: Went to S&R in Chertsey and they heated them up there for me in their boot...kiln...oven...blowdrier thingy, and broke them in a bit there. No charge, but tipped the guy a few florins for his trouble - there was a bull-mastiff looking bloke there who was badgering the guy over a 9-year old pair of Salomon skiboots and he looked like he was having a rough morning.
ski holidays
Put some superfeet in them and they will hold your foot fast from the heel... if the superfeet are chosen correctly for your feet. Such as heel width ,arch height and arch lenght and also boot volume has to allow footbed thickness to come into it.
I originally used thin blacks then greens then colins all are better than nothing.
In my case superfeet greens are about 80% as good as colins customs at least, your feet may need to get used to them though .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy