Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line SFB/Shreditor 102/SalomonQ 105

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 6'2" and 85kg and currently have Scott Punishers (182cm, 89mm underfoot). I'm going to keep these and use them as a piste/poor condition ski (just bought a Dakine Fall-line bag).

I love the Punishers, they're light and playful; great on piste, in crud and bumps but are hard work in deeper snow. I realised this when I spent a week on a mix of Rossignol Experience 98 and S3's at UCPA a couple of seasons ago.

I didn't get on with the Experience 98's, either on or off-piste but liked the S3's.

So I like softer, more playful skis but don't go into the park. I'll be going for something around 100-110mm width and 190cm length. Not a dedicated powder ski but something that is better in soft conditions.

What are your thoughts on the 3 skis mentioned and are there any others skis I should be considering?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have the old Punishers, right? What about the new ones?

Maybe these would fit the bill? http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-114-2015

Probably also: http://www.black-crows.com/#/atris-skis

Personally if you already have an 89mm ski I'd be looking more 110mm< than around 100. Even most 120mm plus skis are just fine on piste these days, as long as you expect them to be race carvers or ski a lot of ice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just read an article that said people are guilty of buying skis that are too wide in the waist (and ski industry guilty of marketing them) thinking of the snow you want to ski rather than the snow you will be skiing most of the time. That said, you have your Punishers for piste.

I think I did this exact thing as I bought the 2014/15 Line SFB (184 cm long, I'm not quite as tall as you) in the sales, and am itching to try them out. Also got my old skis for piste days or icy conditions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, Yeah, I looked at the new Punishers but, according to most of the reviews, they seem to have morphed into stiff, hard-charging crud-busters. Both the Down and Black Crows sound like they could be on the shortlist apart from the price.

@Themasterpiece, You don't need to read articles for that sort of information, just read a few threads from the old-skool codgers on this site. They'll tell you that fat skis are all marketing bollux and that their skis from the 70's (215cm long, 55mm wide) smashed it off-piste because they had the right technique blah, blah.

Enjoy your new SFB's, I'm 60% sure that I'll buy them too.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a little taller than you and about the same weight. The last few years I've been skiing Volkl Mantra (98mm), which I love, but was also looking for something a little wider, softer and more playful. Last season I was in Japan and didn't take the Mantras with me. I had a set of Fischer Watea the first couple of days and they were ok but not great. Changed to some Q 115s and it was just 'wow' from the very first run.

As a result I recently bought last season's Q 105s when I saw them on Sport Conrad for €300, absolute bargain Very Happy Obviously haven't skied them yet but cannot wait. If I was skiing Japan every year I would have gone for the 115s but I think the 105s will be perfect for softer days in Europe, and I still have my old Mantras for charging hard when conditions are mixed.

There were a few other skis on my radar: SFB, Sick Day, Atomic Automatic, Rossi Soul 7 all get good reviews - but ultimately the Salomons won due to a combination of having such a great time on the 115s and the irresistible sale price. There are still quite a few deals around on last year's gear and more often than not the only thing that gets changed is the top sheet so it's worth keeping an eye out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had the Q105's for 2 seasons now and really rate them for all but the deepest powder, sensible amount of rocker so not noodles and still fine on piste, light and playful too!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you liked S3s you'll really like Soul7s.

I have a pair and as I'm not longer a charging ski bum but a soft waisted desk jockey they are the perfect playful forgiving ski that gets we wherever I want to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Themasterpiece, Guilty ! I`ve only skied my SFB`s once so far, last season; now I am injured and won`t be going this year ! They were great though, really nimble, but crap on icy pistes, unsurprisingly. I find my Line Prophet 98`s slightly more realistic for use 2 trips a year, but may be you will all have an epic season this year, knowing my luck Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boac, @KenX, The Q105 was the first ski on my radar. If I wasn't keeping the Punishers then I'd be buying the Salomons. I still might as the 14/15 models are fantastic value at the moment.

@galpinos, The Soul 7's might be too soft for my needs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jzBun, you don't say much about what kind of skier you are but you do mention not going into the park. Have a good look at the Sick Day 110 - similar dimensions to the SFB but a bit flatter in the tail and more directional. I've seen the SFB described as a 'fat park ski' - seems more jib oriented whereas the SD would be a bit more versatile and better for pow and variable conditions.

Getting a demo on your shortlist would be ideal but in the real world I narrow it down to 2 or 3 skis that are very similar and wait for the right deal to come up. In this case I was probably between the q 105 and the SDs and pulled the trigger on the Salomons when the price was right (with the added bonus that last year's top sheet was green compared to this year's red, so a good match for my boots - which is important wink )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jzBun Aside from the SFB the other ski I was looking at was the Blizzard Peacemaker, maybe it fits the bill?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jzBun, the SFB's are probably more towards the 'mostly powder day' ski - although depending on you ski style, you may find that less so - I find them quite hard 'on piste', but then I don't really care. Found the Soul7's and Q's just a bit too soft, but ymmv, there's not a _lot_ in it... and personally I really like the colour and design of the SFB's, and they go nicely with my orange atomic touring bindings.... although thats' quite a heavy combination, and I may struggle to keep up with KenX on the climbs now...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've made a decision.

I'd like to thank:

@clarky999 - You're right (as always), no point getting anything under 105mm if I still have my Punishers, so goodbye to the Shreditors
@Themasterpiece - I hadn't considered the Peacemakers. They fit the brief, now they're on the list.
@boac - Line Sick Day? An inspired addition given that I don't do the Park thing.
@KenX - I should have trusted my first instinct and bought the Q105 last month; I could have avoided this.
@galpinos - The Soul 7 is the logical choice given my affinity with the S3. I still might.
@cstreat - I hope it is an epic season as I have 4 weeks booked already.
@hamilton - Colour and design should have no place in decision-making. Much. Ok, maybe a little... I love the new SFB topsheet.

My decision is that in the future, if I really want to make a decision, I shouldn't ask for advice. My shortlist is now a much longer list...but I'm loving the process.

So, what about the Atomic range?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally pulled the trigger on a new pair of Fischer Big Stix 110 in 186cm. They weren't on the radar until I read the Blister review. I also think all of the posts on here (especially the posts below) were a great help, so thanks guys.

clarky999
Quote:
Personally if you already have an 89mm ski I'd be looking more 110mm< than around 100. Even most 120mm plus skis are just fine on piste these days, as long as you expect them to be race carvers or ski a lot of ice.

This makes perfect sense, I decided to go for something around 108-110mm.

@boac,
Quote:
Getting a demo on your shortlist would be ideal but in the real world I narrow it down to 2 or 3 skis that are very similar and wait for the right deal to come up.

Spotted them online at Ekosport for £170.00, (turned out to be the last pair).

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
£170?! Now THAT's a bargain Very Happy Nice find.

Enjoy!

...and let us know how you get on with them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy