Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Stuttgart to Zillertal for New Year week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd love some advice from those who might travel these roads more often than I do. We are flying into Stuttgart on Boxing Day evening (Saturday), planning to stay overnight, then driving to the Zillertal on the Sunday for New Year week and expecting traffic to be heavy. I'm planning an early start on Sunday, something like 05:30 to get around Munich as early as possible however is this early enough as I understand there might be road works on the A8 ? I've no idea how busy the Sunday might be and we have a young one with us so trying to get the balance right. Is the traffic likely to be bad between the A8 and the Zillertal at that time on the Sunday morning? Should we therefore try the A7 route over the Fernpass - if it isn't dumping - or is that a nightmare just waiting to be discovered ? Decisions, decisions...

Any advice would be most welcome, of course understanding that nobody has a crystal ball Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@needles, If setting off that early I'd even be tempted to go down to Bregenz via Ulm and hit the S16/A12 from that direction and avoid Fernpass and Munich all together. About 40 more miles but might be easier going. Also is it worth getting some miles under the belt before an overnight? An expert local will probably be along in a minute to suggest something.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Pruman, that's an interesting route I'd never have considered so it was well worth asking for that alone Smile . We've thought about putting some miles in on arrival - Mrs needles isn't so up for that as we won't get into Stuttgart until 7pm, stomachs rumbling etc - never say never though and that's partly the motivation behind my question on here. Stuttgart isn't an ideal arrival point from a traffic perspective but the flight prices worked for me when I booked it up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pruman, the Arlberg tunnel is currently closed as it is undergoing major maintenance / upgrading. If it stays closed all winter, it is going to cause major problems for those coming from the Bodensee side!

@needles, I would avoid the A7/Fern Pass route as it clogs up pretty quickly even with a modicum of traffic. The Stuttgart to Munich section is OK, no real problems as such, any remaining roadworks will be mothballed over the winter and simply have an 80km/h (50 mph) limit set. Around Munich there are long term roadworks at the moment just after where the A9 joins it which are causing some headaches. But coming from Stuttgart, I'd actually drive down the west side of the A99 then join the A96 into town and use the newly opened tunnels for through traffic to get past the possible problems around the north side of the A99.

There are no major roadworks between Munich South (München-Süd or Brunnthal as it is referred to locally) and the Inntal interchange near me at Rosenheim. The current road works on the A93 will not be finished (a new bridge being built across the motorway at Brannenburg), but they are not causing any hold ups. After that there are no roadworks between the border at Kiefersfelden and the Zillertal exit.

The Sunday traffic should not be as bad as that on the Saturday, so I'd stick to the motorways unless you really hit something major. It is useful to have a Sat-Nav with the TMC turned on especially if you do not understand the half hourly traffic bulletins on all the major radio stations.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 19-10-15 21:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Samerberg Sue, perfect, thanks so much. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@needles, The Fernpass is regularly mentioned on the traffic report on the radio with hold ups. I wouldn't recommend it.
@Samerberg Sue will hopefully be along soon with some suggestions - she monitors the traffic a lot more than I do.
However, if you choose to come via Munich, have a look at the road that goes past Tegernsee and Achensee. It's not a bad road to drive and is a good alternative if the motorway is busy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hah! @Samerberg Sue, wrote while I was distracted elsewhere!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SaraJ, I did think of offering the Achen Pass route, but there have been a lot of problems where the road from Holzkirchen (B13) meets up with the B472 at Bad Tolz and it has backed up in every direction big time all over the summer. I know the former US Army base is being seriously re-developed by both the Tolz local authority and private investors, so it may be that the roadworks are part of that development. I've not used the routes I have for going along the B472 to Garmisch recently because of the regular reports about hold ups. But they won't be working on anything over the winter so it may be an alternative if the A8/A93/A12 route is snarled up. I would certainly consider it for the return journey if the border controls at Kufstein/Kiefersfelden are still in place over the winter (hopefully not). The other work arounds are a wee bit too complicated if you are unsure of the area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
useful to know about the arlberg tunnel closure. I sometimes go that way if I think the Munich way will be carnage, or just to go the scenic route. Asfinag website says that a requirement of the closure is that it opens in November, but also seems to hint at overnight closures one-way for basically 18 months.

remember that going that way adds a toll each way, as well as the €8 or so.

will keep an eye on that and the A8 roadworks, but as I mentioned on another thread somewhere, those tend to be 80kmh for 30 km, which is just depressing rather than a jam.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What a great forum this is. Many thanks to @Samerberg Sue, @SaraJ, @Pruman, and @andy, for your advice and general input. I've been scouring the online maps and have a solid route through Munich as plan A and others for plan B/route back. Very much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@needles, give me a buzz just before you leave and I'll update you in terms of roadworks and border controls. A PM reminding me is all it needs. I commute along this part of your route all the time and colleagues do the Stuttgart bit regularly as well as the A96 from the A7/A96 interchange at Memmingen, so I'm fairly au fait with what is happening on the motorways and major routes in my neck of the woods. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Samerberg Sue, will do Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy