Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Self Drive

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all. I am after some help please. Was looking for a week long ski break flying out on 26th Dec - 2nd Jan. Flights are very expensive which is expected for the time of year, so ive priced up the eurotunnel which is £160 return. This is probably what we will now be doing, taking in the Alps for a few days and also stopping off en route at places as Mrs RLTP isn't big into skiing but will be giving it a go again this year. Haven't got a clue where to head for, where we should try and stay. Annecy looks nice, found a lovely waterfront hotel and this will give us access to several ski resorts within 45 minutes. Is this a good idea or do you think we should look at staying in actual ski resorts?

Another option is to maybe head to either North Switzerland/Germany and then take in Brugge on the way back home. Nothing is booked yet just looking for some ideas. We will also need somewhere decent for NYE.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ricklovesthepowder, Annecy sounds like a bloody good idea to me. Mr NN and I did a similar New Year drive due to the flights being horrendously expensive. You`re both good skiers yes? So less faffing, in which case I imagine it would be very nice to stay in a good hotel and visit different places - and also enjoy Annecy as well as it is beautiful.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nadenoodlee, I'm a good skier but Mrs RLTP needs cruise blues, still an early skier but it's just a confidence issue that I am sure she will overcome. Annecy does ok lovely. Is Calais to annecy on Boxing Day realistic? Will the traffic be horrendous?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ricklovesthepowder, but she knows how to put skis on etc? isn`t going to faff about too much with lessons etc - in which case travelling to different resorts wouldn`t trouble her. We did London - Dijon on boxing day and stopped the night purely because it was snowing hard in Morzine and we didnt want to put chains on a 11pm. No traffic at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nadenoodlee, oh yes knows how to put skis on, and sort the binding out when she inevitably falls over Very Happy

Hotel looks stunning. Will have a look properly later on when we both get home. Not sure whether to do new year in the mountains, or head to Paris/Bruge, somewhere else etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends whether you can be bothered with the twice daily drive. Annecy is now properly connected by motorway so that's at least straightforward. Opens lots of options for exploring.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your OH "inevitable " falls over you might not lure her back by heading to a series of unfamiliar resorts with substantial queues. The roads and parking areas will be busy too. At the risk of sounding like a spoil sport, why not taker for a few days somewhere SHE will enjoy at new year and leave another go at skiing till later in the season. And fix up some private lessons with a personally recommended instructor. Annecy is lovely but can be cold and dreary, down in the valley there, at midwinter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have a think about Salzburg.

I don't really know the city, though plenty of others here do. I think there's plenty of cultural stuff to do? Also the lakes in the Salzkammergut are simply gorgeous.

I think you'd have a really romantic NY, and there's lots of little family ski areas around (certainly within 45mins drive) with great skiing, but without the mad crowds and tourists which might make Mrs RLTP nervous, and certainly very little in the way of lift queues.

You could look at Innsbruck too, but tbh with 40k students, NYE is a pretty mad party, which may not be your thing.

However either city will offer way more for Mrs RLTP than any ski resort. I've only driven through Annecy, but it does look lovely. How does it compare in size?

Bruges is also a cool place. My ex and I did a road trip from Vienna to the UK and back a few years back, and it was def our favourite stop (much better than Amsterdam, which other than seeing friends, was pretty disappointing really). The Bruges Zot brewery is well worth a visit. Also picnic on the beach (mind you'd have to wrap up pretty warm at NYE wink ).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd prefer to walk round Salzburg in winter than Annecy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1. I think of Annecy as a summer place
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think I'd do a stopover in Cologne or Bonn and then head for Kitzbuhel. Getting decent room for that time will be getting harder though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ricklovesthepowder, is you wife happy to stay on the slopes as long as you are? The two downsides to a 45min ish drive to a resort each day are the potential long delays due to traffic/bad weather and the desire for one person to finish earlier than the other. I have memories of very boring waits in cafes at the bottom of the slopes with one or two small children whilst my husband and eldest one or two completed 'just one last run' rolling eyes Laughing before driving back to where we were staying!

The plus side of staying somewhere other than a ski resort is the option of doing other activities on some days and Annecy is a lovely place to explore!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
it does seem to resonate that Annecy could be rather grey ...

Aosta? (maybe not much less grey but ... Italian food )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annecy is indeed a lovely town, but once you have strolled around it and had a look at the lake what else is there to do - paraponting? Somewhere like Tignes will have a sports centre, swimming pool (actually Annecy will have one as well), skidoo rental etc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, no proper skidoo rental in France, all far too controlled (for good reason Happy. )
ski holidays
Quote:

Annecy is indeed a lovely town

apart from a few unsolved murders here and there. A female friend of mine lived there for 6 months and had many unwelcome approaches from predatory males and tells me its bad for petty crime.
snow report
If I were a reluctant skier, I think I would be more tempted by a pretty mountain resort than a 45 minute drive from Annecy each day. Should I decide to stay in bed for another hour, that would be the skiing day over for me. A ski-in ski out hotel with spa facilities, and good food, easy access up the mountain if I decided not to ski, so I could meet up for lunch, and a good ski school for a couple of one-on-one lessons. We've visited Annecy on our way back to Geneva in January. Cold damp and depressing compared to the summer. I'd still want to see snow even if I wasn't skiing.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Is Calais to annecy on Boxing Day realistic? Will the traffic be horrendous?
Traffic will probably be OK if you're heading only as far as Annecy (or another valley based town before you get to the resorts), but bear in mind that it's generally a busy day for traffic. Not because it's Boxing Day, but because it's the Saturday transfer day between Christmas and New Year week, which is probably the busiest traffic day of the season.

The same day last year happened to suffer from a heavy snowfall and the traffic to the resorts was simply horrendous, with many people failing to reach their destination at all. I don't know if that traffic backed-up as far as Annecy, but I think everywhere was bad that day. However, if you do get stuck in dad traffic getting to Annecy it will be far worse for other people going to resorts, so that might provide some consolation!
ski holidays
Unless new year is your only chance of a winter holiday it seems a bit cussed to head to the Alps when it's not, first and foremost, a ski holiday

A Pre-Christmas weekend visit to somewhere with a traditional Christmas market would be a nice romantic break
latest report
@pam w, +1
snow report
Is this a first? Snowheads advises someone not to go skiing. I was going to suggest Megeve with those expensive shops Where rltp can pay reparations for his previous misdemeanours
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
If I were a reluctant skier, I think I would be more tempted by a pretty mountain resort than a 45 minute drive from Annecy each day. Should I decide to stay in bed for another hour, that would be the skiing day over for me. A ski-in ski out hotel with spa facilities, and good food, easy access up the mountain if I decided not to ski, so I could meet up for lunch, and a good ski school for a couple of one-on-one lessons. I'd still want to see snow even if I wasn't skiing.

My criteria these days
Very Happy
snow report
We have no other time off between Mexico which is Nov 14-28th, and April. We are off over Christmas so trying to tie in going away, European break and skiing. So far we have decide to drive from Manchester to cochem, Germany. Then head to the Alps, probably Austria or maybe Garmisch-Partenkirchen. On the way back we will be stopping in Bruge. Just booked the Cochem and Bruge hotels. Now trying to find where to head for in the mountains.
snow conditions
Megeve will be rammed at new year with no better than evens chance of pretty snow at resort level and all the (expensive) car parks full. Twisted Evil
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, if the snow comes then try looking at the Feldberg area of the Black Forest, charm in overload and Strasbourg and Colmar nearby as back ups. The skiing is OK for a few days, nothing too spectacular and you could actually ski together which may help your marriage problems (or not depending on how much you are prepared to compromise and be patient). Otherwise carry on down into Switzerland and spend some time in Interlaken or or somewhere similar simply for the romance. The prices in the shop windows will allow her to think twice about blitzing your credit cards wink
snow conditions
@Ricklovesthepowder, passed through Garmisch on our way back from Italy last year. Stunningly beautiful valley, and plenty to do, but I don't think it is cheap. I would probably not go to France if you are going to Germany first.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, yes we will be heading to southern Germany or Austria.

@Samerberg Sue, will have a look at those areas now. Thank you
latest report
Thinking of NYE in Salzburg, with 4 days skiing before hand at a nearby resort. Where would be a safe bet with easy runs, and snow sure at that time of year?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricklovesthepowder, anywhere in the Sport amadé region or if you want something completely authentic and occupied primarily by Austrians, the hidden gem of Werfenweng is an amazing hidden valley above the "Where Eagles Dare" castle at Werfen. All within 40 minutes of Salzburg.

Get your accommodation in Salzburg sorted out as it is at a premium over New Year, then look at what you can get in one of the nearby resorts
ski holidays
^^I have a mate from Werfenweng, apparently it's a real 'schneeloch' and gets a lot more than nearby resorts.
snow report
@clarky999, that whole area is a "Schneeloch" to be honest. I've often been depressed by the green fields on my journey to the slopes, only to exit the Tennegebirge tunnels (5 in rapid succession) to find a dazzling snow-covered landscape.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, wow always wanted to to go to that castle. Thought it was in Germany not Austria, learn something new every day! I will look into it when I get home later.
ski holidays
I'm driving to Troyes on Boxing Day and heading on from there on the 27th. We're staying out of town this year but we've stayed in the centre before and it's really nice.
snow report
Quote:

always wanted to to go to that castle

visited it a few years ago and remember thinking, as I crossed the courtyard, that Clint Eastwood apparently killed more people there than in any other film he appeared in Skullie
ski holidays
Quote:

Werfen

Amazing place. Can thoroughly recommend a visit to the ice caves but might not be open in winter.
snow conditions
Found a lovely hotel in a place called Grundslee, on a lake. There are various resorts near by, the website says that Loser Altaussee and Tauplitz are very close by. Schladming is 40 minutes away, and various other ski resorts. The hotel is quite a nice 4*, has a pool and spa facilities etc. Anyone have any knowledge of this area?
ski holidays
A very remote area Ricklovesthepowder, you will dependent on the car to get any where or tied to the hotel to be honest.

Beautiful location in summer, no so sure it will look so welcoming in winter. Are you looking at the Mondi-holiday place - Seeblick or something similar? I've stayed in the area in summer and dived in the lake, I also did an ice-diving course there a few years back and it was bleak with the wind cutting right through you. Grundlsee is an outflow of Toplitzsee and we were not allowed to dive there.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, yes that's the place http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/mondi-holiday-grundlsee.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-15CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQOYAS64AQTIAQTYAQPoAQE;sid=8c3ed8b6ae2882baa66c884b9a62dbd9;dcid=1;checkin=2015-12-27;checkout=2015-12-31;dist=0;group_adults=2;highlighted_facilites=2;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=3ef6436f327ff97b7d6c337ea1a23d4c3246ab5cX29;type=total;ucfs=1&
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, stayed there some years ago, when I accompanied my wife and some of her teacher colleagues on a school ski trip, we stayed in werfen but skied in alpendorf, hotel had its own coach and transported us there and back each day, loved the skiing and werfen, especially as I watch where eagles dare on a regular basis!!!!!
ski holidays
We have changed hotel to this place. 25 minutes to Ellmau and Ski Welt.

http://www.armona.at
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy