Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Perhaps they were snowHeads? In any case, THANKS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I spent Christmas week and two days after New Year in La Plagne, with my parents and my son. (was in Chamonix for the New Year). On the 2nd of January, towards 5pm, I was heading back to Plagne Villages on an easy run. Snow was great (after the New Year falls) but there was fog, on and off. I spot my mother on the side of the run, dusting snow off herself. 'She must have taken a fall', I think. I stop and she tells me that she skied in a complete whiteout off the marked piste, fell into a hole and spent twenty minutes unable to extract herself. 'I remembered what you told me about avalanches and when I fell I cleared the snow in front of my face so I could breathe', she said.

I look at the side of the slope, there's a hole about 6-7 foot deep and it's pretty obvious where my mother fell. I'm not at all sure I could have made it out of there. 'So what did you do?' I ask. 'Well I could just about see one of my skis and I had a hand partially free so I kept banging the ski with the pole shouting 'help' and 'au secours' '.

Twenty minutes later, two young British skiers heard her and dug her out.

I just want to say many, many thanks to those guys. They were in a hurry and skied off soon after, so my mother doesn't have their names. If by any chance they're snowheads and they let me know, I'll buy them a lot of beer.

I have no idea if someone else (INCLUDING myself) would have heard or seen her. I have no idea what would have happened if she had spent a lot more time there - one of her gloves was off (and soaked) and she could hardly move her hand.

(While I was there a guy skied into a hole just a few yards above and, despite having his whole family around, was having trouble getting out).

Lesson: be careful in whiteout conditions, especially if you don't know the terrain. This was an EASY blue, but off to the sides, different situation. (I throw style away when it's foggy, sideslip, stop frequently and generally am overcautious).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy