Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Val Gardena

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking forward to the upcoming season. Me and the other half are looking to going skiing in the new year and fancy Italy. My partner is a blue run ski-er who has tackled a few red runs but is still very nervous of them. Was looking at Selva in Italy, but the piste map looks very sparse regarding blue runs....... Anyone have any thoughts on other Italian resorts that might be more suited?? Any advice much appreciated thanks in advance Ps I know my partner should be taking more lessons, but as she's in her mid fifties she's not too interested at the moment
Thanks again
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are right Selva is not that good for blue run skier, you might look at Ortisei in the same valley, it has Alpe di Siusi (Seiseralm) whitch has lots of blue runs, and you yourself have possibility to go further up the valley, etiher by ski or bus.

Also Alta Badia is a possibility with more blue runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at the villages in Alta Badia, a bit further round the Sella Ronda - Corvara, La Villa or San Cassiano. This area is mostly blue runs and great for nervous beginners as it is also fairly quiet. Selva is more popular and can get busier, and as you have noted, the runs are steeper generally.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends on how timid a skier she is. If she's very timid then Corvara may be a better base, but it's a step up in cost. Alpe di Siusi is perhaps 10 mins away on the local bus and as said above has some great open blues, so too does the Plan de Gralba area. But the area is littered with very modest reds for your OH to move on - though there are the odd exceptions of course. Add in great mountain restaurants everywhere you look and I think you'd both love it........I know I did, and we had a very timid skier in our party that first year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my post....will be taking all your comments and advice on board and get researching, thanks all again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to say that my husband is a blue run skier and we managed Selva fine three years ago. Ski school allows you to choose a couple of days and was great fun. You do need to search out the easier runs. We got the little bus to Plan de Tieja and the Col Riaser was good,also the reds at Seceda were wide and fun for a blue run skier. The other area was Plan de Gralba. Lovely blue runs above that and then long runs back down to Selva. Loved Selva, atmosphere, huts on mountain etc. so don't discount it. We were based in central Selva. Happy researching!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
Have a look at the villages in Alta Badia, a bit further round the Sella Ronda - Corvara, La Villa or San Cassiano. This area is mostly blue runs and great for nervous beginners as it is also fairly quiet. Selva is more popular and can get busier, and as you have noted, the runs are steeper generally.

In addition to the 3 Alta Badia Resorts you mentioned I'd also add Colfosco. It's got a lovely long wide gentle blue piste underneath the chairlift, and the Edelweiss side valley is also nice to explore.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule out Selva though, it does have some blues and easier reds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty of areas within striking distance of Selva as has been mentioned.
For an area with a high proportion of blues, I would suggest the area around San Cassiano / Corvara / Colfosco again as mentioned by others
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kabby, I am in the same scenario as you, as my wife is a very nervous intermediate who would normally just sit on Blues all day. We have already discussed the options in this area and after looking at various resorts decided to go for the Selva Val Gardena resort, mainly due to its central location. We have skied in Italy before and realise the slope grading's are slightly different 'to say France/Austria', so this made our mind up with this location. Have a look at this video I found of the Red Cir Slope that runs from the top of Dantercepies, although I haven't been there yet (and others may slate me), this slope looks a very easy doable for a Red run, the bonus being it takes you right to the Luis Beer Keller at the end.

http://youtube.com/v/4KG6EjVOikA

My wife and I watched it and agreed, so we are off end of January.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The whole area's lovely for beginners and intermediates. Corvara and Colfosco are definately the best bits for that ability range and have the most extensive skiing off the Sella Ronda which can get busy. You do pay more to stay there though and I'm not sure if Uk operators go there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, Colletts in Corvara are highly recommended
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Simon94, I am not sure when that video was made but my recollection is that it is now actually marked as a black run in recent years. Which is even better of course because fewer people go on it and so it is an even more lovely run.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

@Simon94, I am not sure when that video was made but my recollection is that it is now actually marked as a black run in recent years. Which is even better of course because fewer people go on it and so it is an even more lovely run.

Yeah, that's the Black run "Cir". The red is to the left of it. You end up at the same place whichever run you take.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SteveM/ b]@Dr Rock[/b], Good job you let me know, that could of been interesting! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks agAin to you all taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated and I shall research all the options and advice posted and hopefully get a holiday booked

Really want to try the ski ing in this area, as so many people give it such good reviews
snow conditions
The village of Selva , is a PITA if you have a nervous skier in your midst. I've had this situation more than once, it's a nightmare. The few areas of blues all involve a tricky red to get to them, which can become trickier as the day rolls on.

Ortisei (next village but one in the Val Gardena valley) and more especially Alpe Di Suisi, are a far better bet for bluesy cruising. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Colfosco is definately the best place for easy blues. The area between Corvara, La Villa and San Cassiano is also mostly blue runs but I will stress some of these blues have tricky steep sections. I can think of at least six blue runs with quite steep sections in this area. Also agree with other comments re Selva. Once your done with the nursery slopes then your looking at a trek to go upto Seiser Alm area or Plan De Grabla area. For a nervous skiier I would avoid the run down from Ciampanoi gondola in Selva. If you goto Seiser alm area via the gondola from Ortisei then just be aware the initial blue run down from the gondola station is quite narrow and could be tricky if its icy as well.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, +1, Have also been with a nervous intermediate. Much angst and lost time at the start of the red down from Ciampinoi and much cajoling on the red down from Dantercepies. Both can be heavily cut up surprisingly early in the day.
snow report
@dode,

Classic Selva scenarios and difficult to overcome.
Put them on a bus to Plan de Gralba and up on Piz Sella cable car has been my solution in recent years. Plenty of blues up and behind Piz Seteur and an easy run back into the village. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Mollerski, thanks for the feedback, gives me an idea on where to go, but got missus booked in for a few lessons so hopefully should be able to progress to some red runs further afield. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy