Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski holiday 2 people - top skiing and nightlife

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Myself and a friend are planning of going away at the end of January 2016 and have been looking at Val D'isere mainly. We're both advanced skiers so are looking at a resort with some serious skiing, but also some very lively nightlife. I'm also considering St Anton, Verbier, Val Thorens, Mayrhofen, Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'huez. We don't really want to spend too much, but are both aware of how much skiing in these sort of resorts cost. In terms of accommodation options, we're looking at cheap apartments, but I've also been looking at apartments through websites like Airbnb. Has anybody ever used Airbnb? A problem we're also having is under occupancy fees as there's only two of us travelling.

I'm a bit out of ideas right now and would appreciate some help in choosing a resort and accommodation. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tristan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's your accommodation budget? You won't pay under occupancy as a couple in a chalet or hotel, so I suppose it depends on whether the extra cost cancels out the under occupancy charge. This is what we normally do, and as a bonus we get fed as well.

If there's only 2 of you, it might be worth waiting until the last minute to pick up a deal. As a couple, it is fairly easy to fit in an empty room somewhere if you're not too fussy.

Sorry, can't help with Airbnb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were looking at a maximum of about £350 per person for accommodation. I've found a decent aparthotel for about £330 each on Val D'isere and a few apartments on Airbnb for £250 each. Crystal and Inghams both charge under occupancy fees. Another question I intended to ask was whether anybody has had any experiences with Bens Bus or Altibus for airport transfers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's always worth trying the local estate agents for rental properties as they charge for the apartment not per head. You can find them via the resorts' websites. Last season for example, at the end of March, I rented a lovely 2 bedroom apartment for £400. Just taken a look at one of the agents listed on the VT website. They have loads of apartments to rent for the w/c 23rd Jan...plenty under €600 for the week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bens bus and altibus are absolutely fine.

At end January you should have no problem with accommodation. The only decision you need to make now is whether to get a package including flights - in which case just wait till much nearer the time - or to buy flights separately and book accommodation direct. There are loads of small apartments suitable for two people in the French resorts you mention
Don't know about Austria. flights won't get cheaper so book flights now.

2 people is the optimum number for bargain last minute deals with TOs

Though you might have to share a bed.......

You could look at ACTION OUTDOORS who sell all inclusive holidays in some top French resorts at excellent prices
prices.

If you Google "ski France all inclusive" you might find some very good deals including lift pass, but not travel.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For example, Ski-france.com has a 2person studio 23 Jan, well situated in Val D'isere for €450. That's for the whole place, well under your budget. Leaving plenty of money to cope with the stupidly high prices for food and drink!

And there are plenty more out there....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A problem we're also having is under occupancy fees as there's only two of us travelling.

I am not sure these really apply. In most cases you book the apartment not the bed. So choose an apartment with the size that suits you. For two I would suggest looking at about 15-20m2. Most of the immobiliers in France publish floor plans so you should see clearly what you are getting.

To really save costs look at getting a coach to the resort rather than flying and sorting out a transfer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:

I am not sure these really apply. In most cases you book the apartment not the bed. So choose an apartment with the size that suits you. For two I would suggest looking at about 15-20m2. Most of the immobiliers in France publish floor plans so you should see clearly what you are getting.

I think it depends on how you book. A TO will try to sell all the beds and cram as many as possible in and charge under occupancy if you don't use the sofa. A direct booking or with a property agent won't do this, the price is for the apartment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Firstly, thank you all for your replies. I wasn't expecting so many so quickly.

I hadn't actually visited ski-France.com, but I assume that as a few of you are recommending it it's trustworthy?
With regards to under-occupancy, Crystal and Inghams charge about £120 each, but as has been mentioned, I guess it's not applicable if you go direct.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you rent through owners direct you just pay for an apartment. For your budget you should be able to get a very nice apartment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just be sure to factor in the costs of transfers if you decide to DIY. could cost as much as a flight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tpmac22, have a look at Chamonix? I would expect it to be cheaper than Val d'Isere for instance. Check out www.snostation.com for accommodation. Transfers from a multitude of operators.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val d'Isere and St Anton will tick all your boxes. Look at Ischgl as well - although you may find it's too expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anybody ever booked through ski.sunweb.co.uk? They're coming out pretty cheap as they include a lift pass in the price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In top resorts like Val d'Isere and St.Anton you shouldn't restrict yourselves to booking through a organisation.
These resorts are mainly working with self-booking. Accomodations (especially the best located) just don't need the organisations, and keep the commissions to themselve!
snow conditions
Oh and on AirBNB I used them as a client in Lisbon a couple of weeks ago which worked very well and we market our apartments through them, which also seems OK.
ski holidays
http://en.valdisere-agence.com

Another question for you guys. Has anybody ever used this website before? They're a real estate agent based in Val D'isere. They seem genuine, but we'd just like some confirmation from people who have actually used them if possible. If not, we'll be looking at using Airbnb or Ski France.

Thanks

Tristan
snow conditions
tpmac22 wrote:
Has anybody ever booked through ski.sunweb.co.uk? They're coming out pretty cheap as they include a lift pass in the price.

We're having our third holiday with them at half term this year. They've been great, really helpful booking staff and the apartments are just what it says on the tin. Would definitely recommend, I have been shouting about them at work and now our office manager has just booked her second holiday with them in Tignes.

Makes for a super value holiday.
ski holidays
On the AirBnB front, I suppose it depends upon who you book with (i.e. the ultimate owner of the property) but we have had good experiences, having booked in Chamonix and Cervinia through AirBnb (and also some other ski resorts using Tripadvisor's equivalent which is "private lets" or something).

We found some real bargains in both Chamonix and Cerviniva, being something like £300 for a self-catering (studio) apartment for two for the week.

If you're looking at Val d'Isere, I know it's not exactly the same place but have you considered Tignes Les Brevieres? There are quite a few incredibly cheap chalets down there like Chalet Bonjour and Chalet Chardons which have served us quite well in the past. Only issue would be that there isn't really much nightlife down there.
latest report
@tpmac22, if you haven't already booked flights and you're flexible on resorts then really your best bet is TO offers - they usually start discounting about 6 weeks before, but sometimes you can get some cracking deals when they do flash sales.

If you want to book now then have a look at igluski for ideas and pricing - I've just spotted Gasthaus Pramstraller in Mayrhofen @ £473 each half board including flights from Gatwick and transfers, or Hotel Les Lutins in Les Deux Alpes for £353 each bed & breakfast again including flights and transfers - both deals 23rd January.

If you are happy to leave it late i'm pretty confident you'll be able to pick something up in Val for sub £500 all in(as end of January is low season and there are always good offers to be had especially if there are only the 2 of you) - if you get a catered chalet deal you'll get free wine with your evening meals too which can be a good money saver especially in a place like Val D.
latest report
@tpmac22,
Quote:
We're both advanced skiers so are looking at a resort with some serious skiing, but also some very lively nightlife.

Sorry if this is a bit cheeky but curiousity has got the better of me. If you are advanced skiers looking for serious skiing why are you going out on the lash to all hours? Or have misinterpreted "very lively nightlife"?

As someone else mentioned are you intending to fly/transfer? If so, that needs to be built into the equation. Booking an apartment directly and DIYing everything is easy enough if you get your ducks in order the right order.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Val d'Isere and St Anton will tick all your boxes. Look at Ischgl as well - although you may find it's too expensive.

for ischgl stay in Galtur
latest report
@Layne, at 22 couldn't you pull an all nighter and still ski like a demon the next day?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, at 22 couldn't you pull an all nighter and still ski like a demon the next day?

Errr, no Very Happy

I was 25 when I started skiing. The only time I got seriously wrecked it ruined a great days skiing. I seriously think it's one thing or the other. You either go for the nightlife and the crack, with the skiing as secondary. Or you go to ski full on, with the nightlife as a secondary. I'm sure some will disagree, perhaps even the OP. But it could be significant in terms of where you go. Val D'Isere and St Anton are the obvious two where you can combine the two.
latest report
@Layne, you must be a lightweight. I had one of my favourite ever powder days having departed one of my favourite ever bars at 07:30 just in time to shower and head out skiing for an 08:00 start.

And I was 32...

In fairness, the last few hours in the bar had been spent helping with the cleaning, eating "dinner" and washing up, but always with a little Mondeuse on the go.

I doubt I could do that now though! Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
@Layne, you must be a lightweight.

That is true

Sad Little Angel Laughing snowHead
snow report
@Layne, snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

I seriously think it's one thing or the other. You either go for the nightlife and the crack, with the skiing as secondary. Or you go to ski full on, with the nightlife as a secondary.

The great thing about Austrian apres-ski is that you can party hard between 4pm and 7.30pm and be tucked up in bed by 9pm, if you so choose. Having said that, my rule of thumb is to also do the apres-apres-ski for a couple of hours later in the evening, but to try to get to bed for midnight, so as to be able to be up at 7.30-8.00am and be out skiing by 9ish. Admittedly iron self-discipline is sometimes required, and it doesn't go according to plan. However Honeybunny and Cacciatore are the world experts on this subject.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just get led astray!!!
ski holidays
I think the latest i've been out at night at a ski resort is about 11 pm. Just too knackered.
ski holidays
@emwmarine, glad it's not just me. I am shagged out by 5pm.
snow conditions
This got sidetracked quite badly. The après takes a backseat, but I'm only 20 so should be able to party hard and ski harder the day after.
snow report
Quote:
This got sidetracked quite badly.

Welcome to Snowheads Skullie wink snowHead Laughing

Quote:
The après takes a backseat

Lightweight Razz Evil or Very Mad Laughing

When you say you are looking for "serious skiing" - are you talking on piste/off piste, bit of both, acreage?

On a budget I would have thought Val T or Tignes would fit the bill.
snow conditions
@tpmac22, only 20? I cannot remember being 20. Bro in law went to Val T early December last year and loved it.
ski holidays
Both piste and off piste ventures. Potentially get a guide for one morning, but I'm turning into a park rat, so plenty of jumps. I think we're both set on Val D now. I went there before about 10 years ago and really want to go back so I can ski it properly this time.
snow report
You say that your on a budget and want a good night life in that case Val D and other French resorts you will need a mortgage to buy a drink or eat on the moutain. Austria far more competitive on that front.
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

I seriously think it's one thing or the other. You either go for the nightlife and the crack, with the skiing as secondary. Or you go to ski full on, with the nightlife as a secondary.

The great thing about Austrian apres-ski is that you can party hard between 4pm and 7.30pm and be tucked up in bed by 9pm, if you so choose. Having said that, my rule of thumb is to also do the apres-apres-ski for a couple of hours later in the evening, but to try to get to bed for midnight, so as to be able to be up at 7.30-8.00am and be out skiing by 9ish. Admittedly iron self-discipline is sometimes required, and it doesn't go according to plan. However Honeybunny and Cacciatore are the world experts on this subject.

You've clearly never been to Ischgl or St Anton.

My problem is that my wife can be the last to bed and still be the first up for skiing next day. I'm clearly getting too old for burning the candle at both ends.
ski holidays
@downhillalltheway, Since you ask, correct re Ischgl, more's the pity, but I've been to St A and was somewhat underwhelmed - somehow missed the famous apres and didn't enjoy the skiing - especially hated Happy Valley, also the hot weather and lack of piste maintenance, hiking in ski boots from Nasserein, and bussing between Stuben and Lech/Zurs. Admittedly it was very late season and many years ago, and I was recently divorced, and sharing a cell-like room with a snoring, alcoholic narcissist in a Ski Total Chalet full of weirdos (deathly hush over the dinner table), so I may not have been in the best frame of mind. The highlight was bagging a ridiculously inexpensive Tenson staff surplus ski jacket from the Krazy Kangaruh (which had the ambience of a morgue - nothing going on). I didn't even discover the Mooserwirt - maybe it was closed, being late in the season. When I got home I was diagnosed with a serious illness that I didn't even know I had but may have accentuated my unhappiness about Happy Valley, etc., and to cap it all, the present Mrs TT hot-washed my KK jacket and ruined it. Just goes to show how our subjective opinions about a resort can be influenced by all kinds of extraneous factors, and I fully accept that my experience was untypical, and that I'm probably an idiot for saying that I feel no desire whatsoever to return.
latest report
Quote:

especially hated Happy Valley

Biggest misnomer in the alps I felt. The most crowded piste I have ever skied (including Scotland) with a high percentage of out of/barely in control people. It was only one piste basher wide for large chunks, leaving very little room for any evasive manoeuvres.
Though based on my one trip to the area at easter, one of the busier times.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, you must be a lightweight. I had one of my favourite ever powder days having departed one of my favourite ever bars at 07:30 just in time to shower and head out skiing for an 08:00 start.

Haha totally with you! Nothing cures a hangover like cold air and skiing.

Can't say I'd shower before going skiing though Embarassed

But these days I don't think I could pull that more than one night/day in a row Sad Oh for the days of being 16 and able to sink a bottle of tequila and still be in a fit state to go kayaking at 7 the next morning... Hell, even going to WORK after a night out used to be fine, these days it's just not worth the misery...

Do hangovers really just get more debilitating from here on out?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 21-10-15 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy