Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best lunch for afternoon ski energy

Poster: A snowHead
Am I alone in finding, despite being fit, my energy levels decline after lunch? Having just returned from a weeks' skiing I noticed (and it unhelpfully was pointed out to me!) that I get slower and my concentration goes following a couple of post-lunch runs.

I don't drink alcohol lunchtime, just fizzy water and eat things such as a big bowl of soup/bread and chips or cheese macaroni that sort of thing and sometimes have and espresso. Perhaps I should carry some energy bars (do these actually help?).

As I'm about to go off to Les Arcs next weekend it would be nice to try and stay the course of the day with everyone else without my brain cells closing down on me! Any suggestions?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a porper for diner. A flask of oriental tea, fresh ginger, lemon and honey for the lift. Failing that try one of Marley's finest, it will make or break the day. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beverley, Id try skipping the chips and just have the soup and bread, sounds like your body wants to have a nice lie down and a kip to digest the starch. Keep the lunches light and snack more through the day if you dont already. Have a good time in LA
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beverley, has to be tarteflette for lunch, good ballast as well as food.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David@traxvax, I'll second that. Also tastes like heaven.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, David@traxvax, Cheese is the 'EARWAX of the DEVIL'. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Eh, didn't quite catch that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
'DRINK is the REFRESHMENT of the DEVIL' Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hic hic ......SPEAK UP
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find that my energy levels are bad in the morning before lunch despite having had a good breakfast. After lunch, I think I tend to ski better.

Maybe just my imagination though!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley, I agree with you ~ about 3pm I find I flag and get grumpy when skiing because in the UK I don't usually eat anything mid afternoon so wasn't bothering on the slopes, despite all the extra calorie burning with the cold / exercise - now started eating a Lion bar about then and do feel a lot better. Lion bars seem better than Mars or Marathon as a bit less of a 'sugar shock', but that's probably just a personal thing... Probably best to get them here and take them out, though - not always available in france. I can't really see the point of expensive energy bars for skiing, think chocolate works just as well - but that could just be an excuse!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mid afternoon slowdown may be caused by too many fast digested carbs at lunchtime leading to a blood sugar roller coaster. Try a reasonably meaty salad instead.

BTW if you think some "complex carbs" like potatoes or pasta are slow release, check out the http://www.glycaemicindex.com/.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dont forget to drink lots of fluids too (and not alky drinks!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, Frosty the Snowman, you are mad. IMHO, of course.

neilswingler, you are right. IMHO, of course.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, you are the DEVIL!

Sounds like a carbohydrate issue to me. I have a mild, non-medication blood sugar swing issue. If I eat "things such as a big bowl of soup/bread and chips or cheese macaroni that sort of thing" sorts of things I go right to sleep.

Then again, I now like a large breakfast pre-skiing, a snack (cheese, ham, etc. !no carbs! ) around 11.30, skiing through the continentals lunch hour(s) and a large, gastronomique and lardy lunch around 2.30 (or 3.00) when all the freshies have been trashed finishing with a short ski down the home run to home (and beers).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beverley, I don't drink alchohol with lunch either, I don't drink alot at altitude full stop really.

Like most on here, a big breakfast in the morning, a small lunch (with a soup in Austria, I just can't resist!) and then the normal evening meal with a beer or two. Cool
snow conditions
Beverley, As a vegetarian I often end up with the same kind of lunch....there's just not much else to choose from! The energy dip is most noticeable if you have a soup/chip combo! There's just no substitute for chocolate when you get that way....keep some in your jacket pocket. I'm not talking a whole mars bar here....I always carry something like those single wrapped toblerone chunks, stuff one in your mouth on the way up the chair lift and you'lll be buzzing again by the time you get to the top. Chocolate is great for this not just because it tastes nice and is sugary but because it contains caffeine and other feel good drugs!
ski holidays
I have just found mini lion bars, kit cats etc at lidl in BSM they are great value tho half the time my kids eat 'em all before we ever get out.
latest report
olpanije, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
latest report
Thanks everyone. Some good ideas here.

I do have a decent breakfast - muesli/porride/bread/jam etc., but have realised I don't stop between breakfast/lunch/home run. I also don't get a great nights' sleep on holiday either - strange beds/too much wine late at night, though I'm not a party goer.

Will try and add some breaks in my day and then have a lighter lunch. Will also pack some small choc bars as well.
snow conditions
Beverley,
You may have provided your answer above, a lot of people are a bit sleepier in the afternoon this will be exacerbated by a poorer nights sleep the night before. Lots of food, wine and altitude are not a great recipe for a good nights sleep. A heavy meal at lunch will probably exacerbate the problem, upping the expressos may help a little.
snow report
David@traxvax, cant beat a good Tartiflette!!!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

mini lion bars, kit cats
Whats the point in "mini" anything when it comesto food. Who cares if a nosebag at lunch makes you feel a little tired. Ski through it. Hot Tartiflette on a cold day mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
ski holidays
Beverley, I think you have the right idea. Start the day with a good (although not huge) breakfast - cooked if at all possible (although not always easy to find in France). I find if I have a large lunch I ski completely rubbish in the afternoon. My lunch of choice is a large bowl of veggie soup and a hunk of bread, with maybe just a stolen chip or three if I'm more hungry. A decent meal in the evening also sets you up for a steady energy supply the following day. If I get peckish during the day, a bite or two of a Mars bar is plenty - and if cold a stop for a hot chocolate. The only downside of this is finding half-eaten Mars bars when I next go into that pocket 6 months after my previous ski-trip Shocked Very Happy .

Forget all advice from lard-buckets!
snow report
Quote:

My lunch of choice is a large bowl of veggie soup and a hunk of bread

Lightweight
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Lightweight

Ooh you are awful....but I like you!

(says he, weight somewhere 90-95kg).
ski holidays
Quote:

weight somewhere 90-95kg
ha, point proven Very Happy
snow report
I agree with David Murdoch, on the carb issue - too many make me hungry and sleepy as well - and all the foods you mention Beverley, for breakfast are serious carbfest stuff. Try more cheese / ham / eggs / bacon? Paninis / pizzas for lunch have some carbs, but are mainly cheese and ham and I find better for energy and to feel less hungry. not sure where my Lion bars fit into this though..

If I only eat carbs for breakfast, I feel ravenous in an hour. I have pate on toast, or Taramosolata on toast or Thai noodles with prawns and chilli. Fab! But there again, I am a bit odd and don't imagine you'd get far asking chalet hosts to cook this!
ski holidays
SkiBod, If Beverley is getting tired after lunch, I am not sure that the problem lies in Carbs at breakfast. The foods that she mentions are the 'low GI' carbs which are recommended to keep you going. You need some carbs for exercise after all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, Bread, is not low GI. White bread raise blood sugar faster than sugar.

For me, lunch is the killer. I can get away with croissants for breakfast (I think the long fast preceding breakfast lessens the effect of the sugar hit).
ski holidays
neilswingler,
Quote:

T Bar, Bread, is not low GI. White bread raise blood sugar faster than sugar.

No, but the porridge and Muesli are and if the problem was to much carb at breakfast you would expect the problems to come before lunch rather than after.
snow report
neilswingler,
Quote:

can get away with croissants for breakfast (I think the long fast preceding breakfast lessens the effect of the sugar hit)

All the fat in croissants probably balances out the carbs?

Quote:

If Beverley is getting tired after lunch, I am not sure that the problem lies in Carbs at breakfast

I suppose the point i was making was that if I only eat carbs (and breakfast is the usual meal to do it), I get really hungry, so you need to balance it with protein / fat. Agreed probably bit of a non-sequitur with the original lunch point, but maybe if you get your blood sugar swinging up early in the day with too much carbs and no slower burning protein / fat, the hit of a major carb lunch could be worse? Send blood sugar right up to crash again? Agreed, porridge is a better carb than white bread and jam, but muesli is a bit of an unknown quantity ~ check out the sugar levels on some like original Alpen ~ enough to keep you hyper... until you reach the all time low about an hour later..... need to put your Afghan slippers on and start making your own... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sausage, bacon n eggs for breakfast.. bung in plenty of fruit, orange juice and water.. you wont go far wrong with that ..
lay off the bread based stuff.. your not designed to eat vast lumps of dough, no matter how nice they look when cooked up..
same with lunch, try to lay off the pizzas n chips as much as poss..
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, re pizza, I'd agree the Pizza Hut anglo-american variety are a real stodgefest,but thin crust french ones with lots of lovely cheese and meaty toppings and a nice salade verte? tres bien!
snow report
I can see where you're ll going wrong.

Have a couple of beers (not too many) and it'll give you just enough of a lift to see you through. snowHead

Oh and don't forget to carry your hip flask for those occssional pick me ups. Twisted Evil
snow report
Beverley, Another thing I wondered about following the comment
Quote:

too much wine late at night, though I'm not a party goer.

is whether it could also be dehydration? Can't remember the exact statistics, but if you are even a very little dehydrated it really affects stamina and can contribute to fatigue. If you are drinking more wine than you are used to in the evening and then relying on fizzy water at lunch (which because it is fizzy I personally can never drink as much of as still water) plus the exercise, altitude, and dry, freezing conditions, maybe you also need to drink more? I always take water out with me and drink water at lunch (or Coke if I feel in need of lots of sugar!) and STILL don't feel I drink enough or anywhere near as much as I do at home.
ski holidays
Pete1909, Hadn't read yours when I submitted mine.... Ha Ha Ha! Toofy Grin
latest report
Beverley I have a similar problem with my energy levels - except that it persists all the time not just on the slopes. Even at home/work I have to "keep eating" between regular meals in the sence of nibbling a handful of trail mix/cereal bars/piece of fruit around about every 30 mins.

On the slopes I have to up the caloric intake right across the board, including breakfast, lunch & dinner (each of which HAVE to include a highish proportion of protein) and the snacks. Otherwise I feel crap and don't last between breakie and lunch, let alone into the afternoon....

Chocolate (ideally dark choc with no less than 70% cocoa solids) is one of the best "top ups" coz of the protein it contains as well as carbs, which means it's slower to digest and doesn't cause quite the sugar spikes that pure sugar sweets can do. Try also the chewy sports bars (basically protein and gloucose in hard form), muslie bars. Also try combining hard energy food with sports drinks like Gatorade/Loucozade.

Also experiment with how often you need to top up on the slopes - Mr Manda's stomach can't tolerate a lot of snacking and so he tops up only once between breakfast and lunch, but I can't function without a nibble every other minute - normally a chunk of chocolate every lift.
latest report
A few good points raised here I think , also some dubious ones! I am an Insulin diabetic ( 28 years ) so I do know wabit about food intake and energy levels. I also run a lot for general fitness and masochistic enjoyment , so here is my 2 pence worth.

Carbs vary in thier uptake. GI is a guide, but only that - your uptake and use of a carbohydrate wuill be affected by your fitness, your hydration and your general metabolism.
A big meal does several things - it can give you a lot of carbs , but they need to be digested this takes a blood supply and energy - so a lighter lunch with plenty of low GI carbs is a good thing , small spag bols, tartiflette or soup ( especially soups with carbs in like pasta/grains) are good . Soup is good because it is warm, liquid and often has salts in to help keep your electrolyte balance up. Drink plenty fluids , dehydration dramatically affects your performancs. If you are not going to the toilet several times a day on a ski day ( a pain I know ) you are not drinking enough .
Caffiene is good, it helps your body convert fat to energy, fat is not a great energy source for most of us, it takes a lot of training for a human to metabolise fat effectively ( People like Paula Radcliffe have developed thier metabolism by training so they can do this - they would never do a marathon at the speed they do without it) Most mortals can only rely on 30 mins to 1 hours energy from glycogen stored in our muscles during an endurance activity like skiing, after that your body is trying to burn fat and that is not an efficient system in most of us - so using snacks / snack stops is a sensible way to keep your blood sugar up ( plus hydration). I dont like using a lot of "isotonic" drinks - I think the bottled ones are not "balanced" - very high sugar levels. But diluting the powdered versions down to suit is a better option , but remember cold drinks ( from bars or camelbacks) are not always a great idea - they chill your stomach and cool you down - a warm drink is better. What snack you use is up to you, chocolate is nice , but oat based is pobably better, but I find it the "edibility" property more important - my fave is my father-in-laws scottish tablet ( a type of fudge) endllesly enjoyable and eatable!
One thing to do in the evening is to load up again on carbs - your body has to restore muscle glycogen overnight so you have to give it something to work with - rice , spuds, pasta, sponge pudding, tarts - whatever, make sure you eat your dinner! Little Angel
latest report
This works for me...

Breakfast: carbs - ideally porridge - or cereals; nuts for fat and protein; an egg on toast for protein+carbs plus a feeling of 'fullness'; fruit coz I love it; water+tea for hydration.

Lunch: medium size meal, e.g. small spag bol, nothing rich or greasy like chips, no extra bread or a dessert.

Mid-afternoon: optional choccy bar.

Dinner: anything goes - a big one!
latest report
On my most recent trip I found it better to eat a double breakfast (e.g., cereal and toast), then skip lunch altogether and finish an hour earlier than normal. The same amount of skiing without that nasty sleepy feeling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy