Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian accomodation advice

Poster: A snowHead
After posting an earlier query about spending a couple of months skiing I have decided to shelve the motor home idea and equip my car with all season tyres and chains. After considering France, Italy and Austria I have opted for the latter and intend to purchase a Tirol snow card (Has to be purchased in resort?) and drive to as may resorts as possible. Having only ever skied St Johann in Tirol and the ski Jewel in Austria could anybody advise me where I could find some cheap long term accommodation (suitable for one person) and the best location to be based? Any other advice, observations or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Innsbruck would be the sensible option - general lets in a city which isn't specifically offering accommodation for skiing, and where there are a number of really good resorts within 90 minutes as well as the local slopes.

Or buy the Salzburg Superski pass instead and go for somewhere like Altenmarkt, St. Johann or Schwarzach im Pongau and have access to many areas from a cheap central base.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I.m.o. it would be a shame to limit yourself to the Salzburg area.
Somewhere central in Tirol would be better (as mentioned Innsbruck e.g.). Because Austria best ski-areas are in the West: Arlberg (Lech, St. Anton), Ischgl, Sölden, Obergurgl. And also the Kitzbuhl Alps and Zillertal are within in short reach. The only thing is: Arlberg is not on the Tirol card. Arlberg is a bit "hors-catégorie"......
A daytrip to St.Moritz in Switzerland is even possible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dogberry, You have 3 main choices regarding season cards; Tirol Snow Card, KitzbuhlerAlpen All-Star Card or Salzburg Superskicard. Each covers a different area of Austria, but there is some overlap, particularly between the All-Star Card and the Superskicard. I don't know enough about the Tirol card (Clarky999 will be along soon to tell you all about it!) but the two others can be purchased online/by phone and either posted to your home address or collected in resort. There are big savings to be made if you order and pay before 3rd December. In particular, if you are under 25 - i.e. born in 1990-96 - the Salzburg Superskicard is available for only €520 in advance, against the regular price of €684. The advance price for older adults is €610.

Accommodation anywhere will be a challenge, as there is a general shortage of affordable rooms in most large resorts. As you have a car, maybe look for places just outside of the main resorts - e.g. for Zell am See/Saalbach you could try Maishofen, Mittersill or Saalfelden. St Johann in Tirol/Fieberbrunn would be good locations for much of the KitzbuhlerAlpen area. Download a good map and the brochures for the cards, use Google to find places, and feel free to ask on here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
C'mon Clarky999 where are you! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tirol Snow Card or Salzburg Superski Pass is the way to go in Austria, I have both and will make excellent use of both this coming season.

You are spoilt for choice whichever one you get in terms of areas to ski. Unlike @Langerzug I believe the areas are even, but perhaps living so close to both I have a better overview.

@Dogberry, if you have only ever skied St Johann in Tirol and the Ski Juwel areas, either of the areas will suit you for way more than a couple of months. I would get in touch with carolyn, who lives in Niederau (Wildschonau) and has an apartment house with long term furnished lets at very reasonable prices. It would also give you a base close to where you are familiar with the slopes, allowing you to concentrate on getting your ski legs back before you venture further afield to pastures new. In this case the Tirol Snow Card is your best option as it will allow you to venture further west than the Kitzbühel All-Star pass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you want to be most in the West Side part, consider to find accommodation in Tobadill

the village is nothing special but all the big resorts are near..ischgl, SFL, St. Anton etc
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oder Landeck
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I.m.o. it would be a shame to limit yourself to the Salzburg area.

@Langerzug, mate, you have some vivid generalisations!
...another one added to the list!

'limit' yourself to 2500km in 2 months ... about 50k a day of different pistes every time you ski...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@flangesax, do we know the OP is looking for lots of pistes? He may be looking for non-pisted terrain?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And?....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice so far.Just to clarify some points, I have skied in other countries other than Austria but only on piste. I would like to try off piste but wouldn't really know where to start! It seems a shame not to have a go whilst Skiing for two months or more?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can ski off piste anywhere there is snow. (...well almost!) If you are thinking of getting in to it then worry about it once you are here. Do not make it a factor of accommodation or resort choice. There are plenty of courses and schools available wherever you choose to be based.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, And.....not everyone is impressed by endless km of motorway pistes, personally I'm not interested in huge areas of linked resorts. Just an observation not a criticism.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@flangesax, slaps hand against face....
snow report
@Markymark29,

Please read what is written.

@Langerzug stated that the Super Salzburg card was 'limited'.
It is neither limited to on piste of off piste skiing.

The OP has also written that off-piste is a newer venture so I have come to the massive and absurd conclusion that off-piste won't be that important.
snow conditions
@flangesax, Strange....or maybe not, you clearly have a vested interest, and don't appreciate a differing point of view
ski holidays
??? Wtf?

@Markymark29, I have a vested interest in FACTS.
There is nothing limiting about either the Tyrolian card or the Salzburg card.
Claiming one card is 'limited' against the other is utter nonsense other than it limits you to ski in one massive area compared to another massive area.

@Langerzug, had also thrown some interesting generalisations around in another thread. I was picking up on that.
Please read the posts.
What is this 'differing point of view'... where is there info about this?
As I have obviously missed something crucial in the thread please can you let me know how the Salzburg Super Ski card is limited compared to the Tyrolian?

and to make you happy...

snowHead 's Don't ski anywhere in land Salzburg.... it is rubbish and must not be compared to anywhere else as I have a business there... and as I have a business there I know nothing about the ski areas and only offer misinformation purely to gather custom!
latest report
Wtf indeed!
snow conditions
Deary me....Dogberry hopefully you can pick out some useful information from the squabbling.

To put my six eggs in....

I wouldn't bother with long term accommodation, I would make a couple of firm reservations and then book as I go maybe a few weeks in advance. However you may have a budget which you must stick to.
ski holidays
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with long term accommodation, I would make a couple of firm reservations and then book as I go maybe a few weeks in advance. However you may have a budget which you must stick to.

Sounds sensible as most of the Landes ski passes are so large it is helpful to have a few accommodation options.
You'll always find somewhere if you are looking a little out of town or out of peak weeks.
latest report
@Dogberry, I'd consider staying in 2 centres if I was going to Austria on a long term basis, firstly Feldkirch (for accessing Bregenzerwald and Montafon), and Landeck (for St Anton, Ischgl and Oetz valley). Both have good fast train options and are regular commutes for the main resorts and are après friendly (ie can spend time on après and still get home). You'd need your car for accessing places like Warth and Damuls in the west, and some of the other smaller resorts. If budget allows I'd be staying up in Bregenzerwald between Damuls and Schroeken (for accessing Bregenzerwald area via local buses), or in Pettneu (for accessing Arlberg, and you can still drive easily to Ischgl/ Oetz valley). Or, if you can afford to wait until nearer the time and follow the snow and stay in resort accommodation, you'd get a decent clean room on a b&b basis for 50€ a night on the outskirts of the main resorts, but it would be clearly cheaper to get a long term let, Pettneu would be my suggestion for this arrangement, 550-600€ a month is achievable I believe. Any area will have excellent guides who will introduce you to off-piste opportunities, can be expensive but are worth it on safety grounds and also they get you to the best snow. Alternatively if you're around resort for a while you'll meet like minded folks in bars/ cafes etc and I'm sure many will ski in groups and they naturally tend to do forays into the powder. Enjoy yourself! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy