Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keystone Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Just joined the site so hello.

We are going to Keystone Colorado this year and wondered if any of you guys have got the inside scoop on the place?

I've been all over the net checking it out but there is nothing better than asking someone who has been there.

Looks like you guys have a great site here with loads of info so I hope to be contributing when I can.

Thanks for any info in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gyro, Welcome.

I'm no expert, but did go there last year for a week, so happy to help. Anything specific you were after? Where will you be staying?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without wishing to wee wee too much on your chips - it tends to be the busiest of the Vail Resorts as its closest to Denver and I don't find the layout and the terrain great. If you just want groomers it's fine. But it is very close to A Basin which is a rad little place and Breck which has some great high alpine (& I mean high at 13,000ft) - free buses.

In 7 days I'd probably reckon on 3 Keystone, 3 Breck, 1 Abay. If you have a car go hit Vail or BC for a day if your pass allows it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies.

We are staying at the River Run Condos. Just looking for places to eat, drink etc. Also the best supermarket.....I hear there are non on site so to speak so I guess its Frisco or Dillon? Alao anything else that may be of interest such as the $5 cat rides......I like the sound of those.

We have been to Colorado a few times and plan to visit Breck and A basin maybe Loveland (mainly because of the name).

Yeah ive heard it can be busy but busy America isnt busy Europe and they manage the lift lines so well, none of the 6 seaters going up with 1 or 2 people on, they always load them fully so everyone gets up the hill quicker.

So yeah, any info on anything you can think of would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How many people, what sort of ability/ aspiration? What time of year? Are you a snowboarder or skier?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gyro,

We also stayed at River Run (Red Hawk Lodge), and we really liked it. We were a large group of 9, consisting of my wife and 3 kids(9,7,4), plus some friends of ours without young kids. It was an ideal base. Being able to walk to the gondola is a massive bonus, and the carts you get to wheel your stuff in are a great idea. Having a car also means its a short easy drive to Breck and A Basin, which my friends really enjoyed.

As we were with the kids we stayed at Keystone, and I was pleasantly surprised! My kids skiing came on loads, as the lessons only ever had 2 or 3 other kids in the group. I also never found the resort busy as we were there on a quiet week, so I suspect when you are going is important.

For intermediates its a great place. Loads of lovely groomed runs, plus some nice easy bumps runs if thats your thing. Sadly my 7 year old loves them, so I had to too!

Its basically 3 mountains with the main one (Dercum) in front, then North Peak behind, and The Outback behind that. Personally I preferred the skiing on the outback, with some great tree runs, plus the option of the CAT ride opening up the bowls. The snow does need to be good though for this to be worth it, imo.

Eating on the hill is typical of American resorts, with large self service canteen type places. The one on the top of North Peak was reasonable, and I believe there is a very nice sit down restaurant there too, but didn't try it. We ate in the condo most nights, so cant comment on places to eat in the evening, but the River Run 'village' did have a little bit of atmosphere, and was far nicer then the village at Winter Park. There were a few bars, that again seemed better then some I have seen in the states.

There is a Grocery store on the main road to Keystone off the I70, its on the left hand side about a mile up the road, but I cant remember its name. It is very obvious though. If you need ski hire, I've used Virgin Island Ski Rental in Dillon, and can recommend them.

I've skied Beaver Creek, Vail, Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat, and now Keystone. While its not my favourite of the lot, it still has plenty to offer. It does lack any steep runs though, but if you go to A Basin there are plenty there. Vail was far busier then Keystone. Get off Dercum Mountain and its actually a very quiet resort.

Hope that helps,

Jon
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jonkgray78, how's you hand?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, Still a bit wonky, but finally went back to work this week! Won't stop me skiing Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jonkgray78, good news!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, There are two of us going on New Years day, we are snowboarders with 17 years experiance riding about 3 weeks every year......we can pretty much get down anything.....ish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jonkgray78, Jon, great report, thank you. We have also stayed at Copper and Winter Park, Copper was our favorite and we have stayed there for a month in total.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like keystone. On a sunny day I like to occupy a deck chair at La Bonte's BBQ, the music is good & entertaining watching people failing on the Black run and others being pulled for speeding on the blue run. If the snow is good a few laps using the outback shuttle Cat are in order, or hike up if you want to save $10 . Day lift passes are expensive, buy early to get a deal, the Keystone/ A-Basin season pass is only $319 if you buy now. I have not lodged there as we stay in Frisco or Dillon. Dillon is only a few minutes from keystone, we mostly ate the nightly specials at the Arapahoe Cafe Pub in Dillon. All good if you like beer and american food - ribs,pulled pork, chicken wings etc. At Pug Ryans for a steak and Dillon Dam brewery if there is big game on the screens. You should have a great time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent a season at Keystone working out of Mountain House. Loved it. Very underrated resort. Some of the best and most challenging skiing is either side of the terrain park back to Mountain House.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keystone is not busier than Breck. Yes, the weekends can be crowded either place, but mid-week is usually not bad at KS. They have some great tree skiing when there is enough snow- some of the stuff in the Outback is pretty easy to find but there are some good hidden spots on North Peak that you will need an instructor or local help to get into.

I did a cat ride last season- I think it went up to $10. Just after a light snow and I managed to find a rock field that I though had more than 2" of light and fluffy over it. In an area that I hadn't skied before as I normally have just done a short hike from where the cat loads (which doesn't take you as far as the cat, but gets into some good stuff).

For lunch on the mountain, I prefer North Peak over the cafeteria at the top of the front side. The North Peak lodge is nice, the cafeteria tends to be less crowded and there is a nice restaurant if you want to splurge.

There are several supermarkets in Dillon. City Market is the biggest, but Natural Grocers is reasonably priced for a small market in a mountain town carrying all organic produce.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys for your tips and recommendations, it's always good to hear from people who have actually been to a place.

If you think of anything else please do let me know......it's never good to find the best bars, resturants or hidden powder stashes on the last day!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy