Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend by school or individual instructor?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've been knocking around various comments about ski schools on here but should the focus really be on individual instructors, and if you do identify individual instructors how easy is it to get hold of them?

Do the (big) ski schools have systems in place that ensure the teaching ability of their instructors?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I only have experience from the customer side of the business, but I've had a couple of different instructors from each of two schools I would highly recommend: Mountain Masters of Val d'Isere and New Generation of Courchevel.

The standard of tuition with all four instructors was excellent. While it may not be a representative (or significant) sample, the two from each school both demonstrated roughly equivalent levels of ability (ie. more than sufficient for what I wanted to learn!) and excellent communication/tuition skills. Both these schools offer new instructor training, so perhaps they handpick the best of these as new apprentices? Could explain why their instructors are so good...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've recently had lessons from two New Generation instructors in Courchevel & can support Masopa's comments. After a couple of days tuition I swapped groups to a lesson at the same level but at a time to match Deb's lesson time.

Both instructors were excellent, being enthusiastic with good explanations etc. Although they had different personalities and styles it was apparent that they followed the same doctrine/syllabus etc.

I also had lessons in January from two ESF instructors. Although they were equally enthusiastic with good communication skills (considering they were teaching in English), the two weren't exactly singing from the same hymn sheet when it came to consistency of method etc. This certainly put me back a day or two & was the main reason for me choosing New Generation for my second trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Hopkinson, I believe that in some instances in the US, instructors get bonused if a client specifically asks for them, and takes a lesson with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hoppo, Do I choose an independent ski instructor or an instructor from a ski school?
Some will say "to find a decent ski instructor" is like playing the lottery!!!
All French qualified ski instructors have the same national qualification, which is awarded by the one and only ski instructor training centre: l'École Nationale de Ski et d'Alpinisme (ENSA) based in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.
Whether you choose an independent ski instructor or an instructor belonging to a ski school, they will have the same qualification, as long, of course, as they are completely qualified and not just gaining experience "stagiaires" (modules).
There are two main syndicates in France: the École du Ski Français (ESF) and the Ski École International (ESI), it is not however obligatory to belong to a syndicate in order to work as a ski instructor.
The "carte professionnelle", on the other hand, is compulsory and is delivered by the Ministère de la Jeunesse et des Sports.
Each instructor has a teaching past, his own personality, and social qualities ; he can be passionate, enthusiastic and cheerful, and share these qualities with you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, I think Claude has got all excited about talk of the EOSB. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoppo, USA NZ and Australia AFAIK the instruction can be very variable - there is no requirement for anyone to be qualified in any manner in order to teach skiing. The resorts have a monopoly on instruction on 'their' land. (Actually our land that they have a contract with national parks bodies to provide services on). They usually have a hiring clinic at the start of the season. Folks turn up and attempt to become ski instructors. The number that get hired depends how desperate the resort is for warm bodies to 'teach skiing'. These folks get between 3 days and a week of 'training' and are set loose to teach you and yours... Very little ability to ski or teach seems to be needed.

Need for warm bodies is usually quite high as bean counters in ski resort management have long ago worked out that the pay system provides more pay to better qualified and more experienced instructors - so they encourage the ski school management to fill ski school with unqualified and inexperienced folks at cheaper rates of pay. Hence the number of very experienced and fully certified instructors that are simply visitors to the resorts these days. I have seen snowboarders hired as ski instructors when there were insufficient skiers - 1 week on skis and they are an 'instructor' for beginners and kids.

CSIA 1 may not be a very high level but at least the canucks ensure there is some basic level across the country for teaching. The french may go a little too far in their requirement - but at least you know the person you get can actually use their skis a little better than you will in a few weeks time!

Caveat Emptor - know what you are paying for and have some idea what you are getting. I've seen folks rave about what is really pretty ordinary instruction - because everything else they know is worse. Good experienced instructors are all good! Some are better matches for certain clients due to personality etc. Really good ones usually adapt better to the client.

Being a realistic student with a good idea what you want is good also. No instructor will wave a magic wand(unless Harry Potter is taking up instructing Wink ). Student still needs to work at it between times etc etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What happened to Hoppo? Gone or name change?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Name change results in all posts having the new name (I did it a couple of weeks ago). So I guess he's just not been waiting and watching for a reply on this for the last 6 1/2 years. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy