Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy Access Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter has problems getting her ski boots on and in order to alleviate myself of the daily whingeing I am willing to invest in a new pair for her. Last year we looked at the Head Cube3 boot which was a hybrid rear entry boot but this now no longer seems to be available. |Anyone have recommendations for a boot that opens wide to get the foot in. Skiing will be intermediate on piste.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BergenBergen, as far as the catalogue goes, the cube is still available, not sure how many stores would stock it though

what is the issue that causes getting into boots to be a problem, is there a lack of flexibility somewhere or is it a putting the boot on technique ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CEM, the problem seems to be the boot itself. There doesnt seem to be enough space around the ankle area for the foot to get around the bend, if thats makes any sense. Even if I help by pulling the tongue upwards, she still struggles to get her foot into the end of the boot. We thought the the Cube3 would solve this
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BergenBergen, 3 piece boots such as Full tilt allow far easier access, my other half has them and loves them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BergenBergen, the last couple of years have seen me having similar issues, i find that it isnt a lack of space or flex in the ankle area, but more so that my toes don't seem to have the flexability they used to (at least thats my analysis). My solution is usually for one of my children to stand on the front of the boot allowing me to force the foot into the shell.

It also helps that my boots are always warmed in a heated boot bag overnight making the shell (130 flex) a little more compliant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BergenBergen, @ansta1, there is a technique that I won't be able verbalise but you don't put your foot straight/square into the boot and you pull the tongue in the other direction. You may be able to google it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a similar problem but for a different reason. If my ski boots are cold, I can pretty much forget trying to put them on.

Bring back rear entry boots pretty please... Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Saw this a while ago - not tried it though but at £9.99 might be worth a punt

http://www.slippinltd.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If my ski boots are cold, I can pretty much forget trying to put them on.

Its certainly a struggle hence why i keep them in my heated bag.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BergenBergen, pulling the tongue up will actually reduce the amount of space to put the foot in, you need to pull it out and to the side, then slide the foot in at a slight angle and rotate slightly as it slides in, certainly worth a try, this is eaier on some boots than others BUT it is not a common thing that people talk about so it is normally solvable

the other thing to consider is the sock, if it is damp (at all) or old and pilled up then it will make things harder
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BergenBergen, are you sure they're on the wrong feet? I had a client once...etc. Problem solved once right foot in right boot, etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies. Good to know the Cube3 is still available, just need to find a stockist. Will go and look at the Full Tilt boot as there are some local stockists. Looked on You Tube at boot fitting
http://youtube.com/v/GlJ1aBISatU and can see what you describe as pulling the tongue sideways and twisting the foot in. Strange thing is that even tough the boot is hard to get on, my daughter then complains that the boot fells loose, arghhh Puzzled so a new well fitted boot is the way to go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BergenBergen, I had trouble when I had a pair of very race 150 stiffness boots. I couldn't get them off when they were cold and had to drive with the heater bowing on them for 20 minutes until they were soft enough to remove. That's a real issue.

I can't believe anything your daughter is skiing in can be that difficult... wink

(Yes, I can drive in ski boots, been doing it for many years)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@BergenBergen, I had trouble when I had a pair of very race 150 stiffness boots. I couldn't get them off when they were cold and had to drive with the heater bowing on them for 20 minutes until they were soft enough to remove.

(Yes, I can drive in ski boots, been doing it for many years)

! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BergenBergen, are the boots comfortable once on?
snow conditions
@under a new name, you're a brave man!

@BergenBergen, even if you find the Cube3, there's no guarantee they will fit her. Best go see a proper bootfitter, who will be able to find the right boots and help work out what's best for getting them on and off.

It may be that she just needs more practice getting the boots on and off - it can take a while to get the hang of it (I've just got new boots, moving from a 75 flex to 120 Shocked - it's def tougher to get in and out, but still doable). Are you sure there aren't any joint issues also contributing?
snow conditions
I'd say all the above first. Get shell super warm, rip the shell wide open with the tongue then get instanding up(which the above video misses as that gives you a little more leverage). Cabrio boots might be a solution but doesn't sound like she has some sort of physical inhibiting factor. Getting a boot that fits right when its on is the most important thing IMV. On/off the misery lasts 30 seconds not all day.
snow report
BergenBergen wrote:
My daughter has problems getting her ski boots on and in order to alleviate myself of the daily whingeing I am willing to invest in a new pair for her. Last year we looked at the Head Cube3 boot which was a hybrid rear entry boot but this now no longer seems to be available. |Anyone have recommendations for a boot that opens wide to get the foot in. Skiing will be intermediate on piste.

Just ask your daughter what colour boots would be easiest to get on, that's probably the problem. wink
snow conditions
@irie, ahh. Speaking from experience??? Very Happy
snow report
With 3 wives (not at the same time! Blush ), a daughter, a step-daughter, and 4 grand-daughters ... possibly, quite possibly. wink
snow conditions
The Cube 3 boots are pretty wide
Does she have wide feet?

@Dave of the Marmottes, it can take a lot longer than 30 seconds to get boots on - and off, for people who have problems.
ski holidays
Decathlon have Cube 8 boots. Look very similar. £149.
latest report
I have issues with getting boots on due to back problem s and lack of feeling in my feet. Plastic bags are the answer in my case! Sounds daft but cut the bottom out of the bag so you have a tube, put it into the boot so the plastic lines the bend of the boot, the shiny plastic is much easier to navigate in a sock than the liner material, pull the bag out and rip it off. Hopefully, job done.
latest report
There are some old style rear entry boots but only seem available in germany, they were mentioned in the gb ski club magazine a couple of years ago.
snow report
+1 for Full Tilts, so easy to get on and great fit

lilywhite wrote:
I have issues with getting boots on due to back problem s and lack of feeling in my feet. Plastic bags are the answer in my case! Sounds daft but cut the bottom out of the bag so you have a tube, put it into the boot so the plastic lines the bend of the boot, the shiny plastic is much easier to navigate in a sock than the liner material, pull the bag out and rip it off. Hopefully, job done.

Thats the system I used to get my broken arm into the sleeves of my tops, works like a charm
latest report
irie wrote:

Just ask your daughter what colour boots would be easiest to get on, that's probably the problem. wink

With 3 daughters I can confirm colour has a big effect on ease of putting on of boots! Stickers can help as well wink
ski holidays
Just back from the shop. Tried the Head Cube3 10 boot... very easy to get on as expected but gave a pinch point around the top ankle maybe due to the hybrid design. Using this as the reference we progressed through many different boots until we ended up at the Rossi Pure Pro 80 in a nice black and white colour scheme that matches the current Jacket / Pants combo. If any problems.. will try the stickers
snow report
geoffo wrote:
Hi Saw this a while ago - not tried it though but at £9.99 might be worth a punt

http://www.slippinltd.com/

Fwiw, bought one of these as my wife has a lot of trouble with one foot, and it was recommended on another thread. Definitely better than a plastic bag - I tried that first - and happy to have spent a tenner on it, even if it probably only cost a couple of quid to produce. Think it's coated with Teflon, so quite slippy. I use it as well, but that's cause I'm lazy Very Happy

We came up with the same approach shown above, pulling the liner apart and holding the tongue to one side, though it does feel at some point the tongue is going to give up and rip out doing it. My wife is having foot surgery next month (cheilectomy), and if that doesn't help will probably be looking for some rear entry boots as well at some point in the future.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pejoli, have a look at http://apexskiboots.com/the-system no idea of merit, but maybe a solution
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Pejoli, have a look at http://apexskiboots.com/the-system no idea of merit, but maybe a solution

Thanks ! As ex-snowboarders (and not particularly hard-core skiers), they do look tempting! Perhaps I'll even treat her to a pair, too Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy