Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would be your dream drive to the mountains?

Poster: A snowHead
I must admit that apart from being a Snow-Head I'm also a Petrol-Head ..
So apart from dreaming about deep fluffy snow,
I love to ponder about driving at dawn along empty French frosty motorways with the bare dog wood bushes glistening in the morning sun.

So what would you want to be driving ...
what colour is it ...
& most important whats playing on the stereo?

What would be your dream route to the mountains & favorite "stop off" points and why.

Imagine you have just had a Lotto win and your going to take the whole season off.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't much care what I'm driving but no frost, please. And Bach on the stereo. My favourite conditions are actually a clear, moonlit night.

No pre-planned stop offs. if money no object possibly no plans at all.
wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

what colour is it ...

I do not understand the question.

Quote:

& most important whats playing on the stereo?

Probably downloads of "more or less" or "in our time"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Car - Bronze Jensen FF snowHead
Tunes - On Days Like These (Opening credits to The Italian Job) Cool
Stops - Every petrol station wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I was that minted I wouldn't be driving, I'd be in a helicopter.

In any case, I'd love to drive a La Ferrari with the engine as my stereo, but they're probably not the best choice for mountain roads in Winter..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tough question.

Do you want the ultimate off roader, a sleek sports car or grand tourer ? Maybe you ultimate drive is a superbike or a classic little sports car with the wind blowing through your hair.

Then again maybe the answer is in, "just had a lotto win" ( by this we mean the big one not a few quid ) so why drive, just hire a luxury jet and fly into ADH maybe, or Grenoble and then private helicopter transfer while looking down at the rabble stuck in the usual traffic jams.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny wrote:

In any case, I'd love to drive a La Ferrari with the engine as my stereo, but they're probably not the best choice for mountain roads in Winter..

Probably not the best choice at any time, things like that are too wide to overtake anything. I got stuck behind a Lamborghini a couple of winters ago, it couldn't overtake a Twingo.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HoneyBunny wrote:
If I was that minted I wouldn't be driving, I'd be in a helicopter.

I was kind of thinking the same thing - an A-Star heli.
But range is an issue, which may be why the real rich guys have a Gulfstream G550 with a crew on standby. That said, you can fly a heli through stuff they can't fly those through.

I do like my 2-seater and it's fun to drive, but a big Audi estate with 4wd and the magic suspension is probably about optimal. You can follow a snow cat up quite a lot of things in one of those, on days when you'd not be able to find the battery to get a Ferrari started up. There's a reason those things change hands so many times.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dream drive would be my van with my bikes in the back ready to ride as soon as I get to the mountains. Although I do actually like driving abroad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:

Probably not the best choice at any time, things like that are too wide to overtake anything. I got stuck behind a Lamborghini a couple of winters ago, it couldn't overtake a Twingo.

But at least you get to look baller while you're holding everyone up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A black Ferrari FF with Red leather with my skis on the roof and some 80's power ballads playing on the stereo.
The reality is usually a sh1tty rental car with me and my mates stuffed inside!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Audi RS6 Avant would do me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ferrari FF
4 seats-plenty of room in the boot
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maddness wrote:
..The reality is usually a sh1tty rental car with me and my mates stuffed inside!

Ahhh...fond memories Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best drive I ever did was when we hired a minibus and 12 mates drove to the Alps. Amazing atmosphere as you start getting near snow.
It's not so much what you drive as who you're with.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:

Nothing, driving isn't fun any more.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Probably downloads of "more or less" or "in our time"

Good choices. "In our time" is exactly what I listen to when travelling. "More or less" is good too.
ski holidays
This bus (bar out of shot)

latest report
francium. wrote:

Had one of those it was great fun, the handbrake actually sits flat so there's a superb place to stand your coffee cup... the downside was the mpg, it just made the teens so fuel stops every 2.5hours!

Had a business lunch in Chamonix, tea at the Chunnel, watched the 10 O'Clock news at home in Daventry but didn't make the adverts zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
snow report

Minus the roof rack if we can get all the gear in the back.
ski holidays
The coolest car/set up I've ever seen was on the Gower in Wales.

20ish year old kid, obv a trust funder, with a new-ish Rolls - plastered in surf stickers, mud, and scratches, big dent in one door, a couple of surfboards tied onto the roof (with rope through the open windows), and a wet sandy wetsuit chucked across the backseats.

THAT's how to [can I use ball as the verb of 'be a baller?!']!

I think the ski equivalent would work pretty well too.
snow report
I drive down to the Alps quite a bit! but would not swap her! Vivienne The Volvo named after Vivienne Westwood, why, well shes old but good design

snow report
marcellus wrote:
francium. wrote:

Had one of those it was great fun, the handbrake actually sits flat so there's a superb place to stand your coffee cup... the downside was the mpg, it just made the teens so fuel stops every 2.5hours!

Had a business lunch in Chamonix, tea at the Chunnel, watched the 10 O'Clock news at home in Daventry but didn't make the adverts zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yep the mpg is why I bought a 3.0tdi instead, however 552bhp is good fun had similar power in my skyline but definitely wouldn't of wanted the fuel bill driving that to the alps.
ski holidays
@edde, is that one on the right letting rip??
latest report
Took my jag XKR to the French alps which was sweet but had to pay some speeding fines, at least they have a nice English online portal to help settle the fines
snow report
Charliee wrote:
Took my jag XKR to the French alps which was sweet but had to pay some speeding fines, at least they have a nice English online portal to help settle the fines

weirdly this is the only easy to navigate system that the French government have ever produced.....
latest report
The most fun I've had driving was probably around south Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland in a Peugeot 404. Wasn't the car but being on the road on my own (I was 22 and the trip out to Johannesburg was the first time I'd flown) and the stupendous surroundings. I have no ambitious at all about vehicles but the right kind of road trip is special

I do the Alps drive a lot but the excitement of getting to the mountains never wears off. My zafira is fine, though. Embarassed
ski holidays
Eddiethebus you are 100% on that on!! I was expecting a nightmare and was pleasantly surprised.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't care what the car would be .... needs to have someone else driving --- Wagners' Ring on the Stereo --- Reingold and Valkyrie on the way out -- Siegfried and Gotterdammerung on the way back --- would have to drive a bit slower.

I used to have a 1.9D Berlingo... so slow that HGVs would overtake me in the "Vehicules Lents" lane... A friend used to drive an MG ZTT -- which would get to the Alps 2 hours faster. It then took him 3 hours to unload.... the Berlingo took 5 minutes....
ski holidays
been up through hochgurgle down into italy on the 'Hochen pass' in June last year in ferrari 348 on the way to lake garda... superb
snow report
Has to be BMW X6
snow conditions
TDV6 Auto Discovery 4, in white as it happens. Quite the sweetest motor to take on a long haul. 5 up and all the kit on board.
There could be anything playing, but strangely the 2015 ski anthem became Robbie Williams?!?!

Favourite stops: Lyon: Soffitel (the company picked up the tab on that one luckily) or Lille, Hotel Carlton (laterooms special).

A liitle disappointed that we're flying this year..(as in a plane, not just driving very fast..)
ski holidays
snowbistro wrote:
Has to be BMW X6

Really???....... That car is so ugly even it's mother didn't love it.
latest report
Best car for the snow, Renault RX4 with winter tyres. Had all kinds of French electronic wizardry like F2 launch control, anti skid, traction ect. All of which meant it kept going whilst other 4x4s were getting stuck. Being French, everything else broke down on it, but we still miss it.

Best soundtrack. Talk Talk, the Colour of spring driving over the Port de Envalira (pre tunnel - 2400m) in a coach at 2am in the moonlight on my first skiing trip as a six former in 1988.
We were the most excited school kids in the world watching the world suddenly turn white around us as we climbed. Very moving and evocative album for night time mountain pass driving.

'The Curse of the Traveller' is also another amazing night time mountain pass driving tune. My second ski trip was to the Dolomites in Year 13. A teacher played that track over and over as we drove along, until we all loved it.
snow report
Not a petrol head at all - so some big luxurious 4X4 would be good so I feel safe and warm!

On the stereo would be "Tignes age kicks" of course wink
snow conditions
Range Rover Vogue...................or Edde's mini bus!!!!!!! LOL
snow report
livetoski wrote:
I drive down to the Alps quite a bit! but would not swap her! Vivienne The Volvo named after Vivienne Westwood, why, well shes old but good design

I has an S70 auto. Brilliant in the snow
ski holidays
My dream drive to the mountains would be to leave my beachside Mediterranean villa for the half hour trip to my chalet in the mountains.

Back in the real world, any trip going to the mountains, by whatever means, is good, leaving is bad.
snow conditions
Audi RS6 without a doubt!
latest report
Bentley Continental GT Speed with winter tires of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy