Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A winter holiday with skiing and northern lights

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, been a while since I was here last, everyone well?

Anyway, after a bit of advise and guidance on a resort to visit. In a nutshell, my wife doesn't ski or snowboard but likes the idea of it, however she is reluctant to commit to a trip that is just a skiing trip and likes the idea of a winter holiday that incorporates skiing in it. In her mind this involves a picturesque resort, lots of snow, hot tubs and lots of other stuff to do like snow mobile driving, walks in the snow, good food, hot wine and the like. She also has always wanted to see the Northern Lights so if this could be incorporated as well then brilliant. For my part, I'm chuffed she now showing even a vague interest in snow based holiday and want to get it right so she wants to go again! Amount of piste is not that important though it'd be good if it was good quality and well maintained, as good school would be useful too.

My first thought was somewhere way north like Ruka, Finland but bar that I'm at a loss.

So great snowHeads, any other bright ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alyeska (Alaska)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/finland.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevec, Yes I'd recommend Finland. Inghams do trips to Finland, I and some friends went last year to Saariselka in Finnish Lapland (which is the furthest North of the resorts Inghams do and is well North of the Arctic Circle). The slopes are quite gentle compared to Alpine resorts, but for a beginner that's no bad thing, and they are totally uncrowded. None of my group needed lessons, so I can't comment on them but I'm sure if they are anything like the other Finnish facilities they will be well run.

Of course seeing the Northern Lights is never guaranteed - whilst we were there unfortunately cloud cover prevented us seeing them (except on the return flight when once the aircraft had got above the clouds we did actually see them! Laughing )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
big_ben wrote:
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/finland.html
+1 albeit that Northern Lights not guaranteed.The Finnish trip in February, on which there are plenty of spaces, will be interesting for both keen skiers and less keen skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We go to Finland every year for a week but in this instance for x-c and not alpine which we go elsewhere for. Levi is a popular destination and certainly you will have a chance of seeing the northern lights although we've not gone there (we go to Akaslompolo, near Yllas). Do be aware that even in February, Finland can be brutally cold; we've experienced well below -20 on several trips. There are lots of things to do other than skiing (reindeer herding trips, dog sledding, snow-mobiling, ice fishing, snow-shoeing, visits to Sami villages). The food is excellent although might be a problem for vegetarians.

Edit: changed Leki to Levi. Doh !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-10-15 18:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevec wrote:

My first thought was somewhere way north like Ruka, Finland but bar that I'm at a loss.

So great snowHeads, any other bright ideas?

Levi will be best for your.
And in Finland - high season is March and you can skiing in late April without any problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all.

The insideout trip does look good but it requires you to be an early intermediate and whilst I would qualify, my wife would not. I'll drop them a message anyway I think.

If it makes any difference, due to me foolishly marrying a teacher, the trip will likely be in Feb half term. I have already made sure my credit card is suitably lubricated...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ you'll need it, Finland is fairly expensive
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about fly direct from London to Bergen, Norway with BA or Norwegian. Stay in Bergen a night or two - it's a nice city, maybe take a day fjord ferry trip. Probably won't see the northern lights, but sell it as you might... Take the train to Voss 1.5 hours. I think accomodation will be for sun-sun, or sun-thur, or thur-sun. Excuse link to hate mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2052901/Skiing-holidays-Norway-Sample-best-Bergen-enjoy-Voss-resorts-slopes.html

Norway is eye wateringly expensive though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not a standard trip, but there must also be some trip to Riksgransen or other place on Kungsleden (Kings Trail). While you won't want to be doing trekking, people have told me there are some great mountain cabins. Swedish Tourist Association (STF) are the people to ask ie a stay at STF Fjällstation Saltoluokta, and some day trips from there?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stevec, I learnt to ski in Finland and would recommend it as a great place for a nervous beginner. The mountains are not particularly high or extensive, but that makes them less intimidating I think. Don't worry too much if you can't sort the InsideOut trip, the Finnish instructors are excellent and speak very good English, so you shouldn't have any concerns there.

We did 5 days of lessons and then swapped to cross country skis for the last day, just for a bit of variety. There were plenty of other activities available as well though, as mentioned above, with the added bonus of seeing a reindeer on the piste! No Northern Lights though, maybe next time.

Make sure your wife is dressed in decent cold weather gear. Beginners spend a lot of time standing around and a lot of the lifts are drags.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scratch the Riksgransen idea. There's a ton of refugees heading there:

http://www.thelocal.se/20151014/lapland-ski-complex-to-be-next-refugee-hub
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yad Moss?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It would be nice if you knew there was a good chance of seeing the NL but you'd need to be honest about the odds!
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Finland is fairly expensive

I didn't find that. Cheaper than France. What adds up is doing all the non-skiing activities like husky sledding, snowmobiling etc. Eating out can be pricey but most use the supermarket and self cater.

For half term forget UK tour operators. You should just book Finnair to Helsinki and then connecting flight to Rovaniemi. All on the Finnair site. I think we paid around £130pp. Hire car and do the drive to your chosen resort. Book rooms or wooden lodge on booking.com or airbnb - some are pretty cheap but all will be decent quality. It all works out a lot cheaper than the tour operator price plus you'll have the convenience of a car. The Finns haven't heard about our half term you see. Driving is a cinch because the roads are flat, there's nobody on them and all the hire cars have studded tyres. Plus its a beautiful place to explore and I don't know how we would have done in and around the resort without a car. I didn't see the northern lights but I'm going to give it another go.

It was as low as -28 while we were there but not an issue if you are equipped.
ski holidays
I've lived in Helsinki for ~6 years. Levi is the best option in Finnish lapland for other activities, availability of accomodation and restaurants. The downhill skiing is pretty limited but it is a very good to learn. Its also a really good place to try cross-country skiing.

If possible fly to Kittila which is only 15 km from Levi. There is a service bus (coach with a hold for luggage) that is timed to meet all Finnair flights. However driving even in winter is very easy (as long as you avoid the reindeer!).

I've seen the northern lights on 3 out of 5 trips to Lapland, twice in Levi and once in Pallas (near Yllas). In Levi you need to walk out of the town a little bit (down to the lake for example) to see the northern lights well. There are companies that do northern light spotting trips where they take you out of the town.

Finland is not cheap. A pint of beer will cost about 7 euros in a bar, a bottle of wine in a restaurant at least 30 euros, but only about 10 euros from Alko (state run alcohol shop). Accomodation us usually of a high standard.

Yes it can be cold, I've experienced -30C (in January) which is really cold on a drag lift! Make sure you've got good clothes and can cover your face completely. I've had frozen eyelashes before just by quickly taking my goggles off to adjust them! However most of the time it is really not that cold and since it is usually dry with very little wind even -15C doesn't feel that cold.
snow report
I'm not sure about the Finns not having heard about half-term. We're restricted to half-term and the hotels we've booked in the past sell out before October (we now rent a cottage) and that's in Akaslompolo which isn't an well known destination to Brits at all. I think the German / Austrian holidays must be around then as there's always loads of German speaking people when we go.

If you're thinking about flying to Kittila or Rovaniemi you'll have to change in Helsinki as apart from TO flights (which one used to be able to book as flight only but now don't seem to be able to) there's nothing direct. Use Skyscanner.com to sus out flights. Norwegian air now fly to Kittila from Helsinki (but not on a Sunday) and I'm not sure they come up in Skyscanner. This year we're flying to Helsinki with BA, staying the night then flying next day with Norwegian. You may find the flights quite expensive; certainly when I booked for 2016 half-term 2016 a few months ago there was nothing that cheap on offer and also be aware that because of having to change in Helsinki and the way the flight schedules work to get anything reasonable you may be forced to consider staying overnight in Helsinki on at least one leg.

I've just checked and at Feb half term the cheapest flights to Kittila were getting over £250 and that still involved an overnight stay. Same day flights were well over £300. Flights to Rovaniemi were similarly as expensive. I'm not trying to deter you but the TO option may be cheaper. Also look at a company called Inntravel which we've used a few times and would recommend.
latest report
Definitely Finland. See my report on it (in fact I did 2). http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2686025&highlight=yllas#2686025

No guarantee of the Northern Lights but a better chance than anywhere else. There is Alyeska in Alaska but it's considerably more expensive to get to (obviously) and further South (I have been).

Loads to do in Lapland and the slopes are easy. It's a beautiful part of the word.
ski holidays
There is a lot of solar activity this week - so if you could go now I would say its guaranteed, but it is very good for seeing Santa also! We went maybe 6 years ago, I dont think anyone can guarantee the Northern lights but changes are good!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy