Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VERY Wintry this Week (Mid Oct) in Alps

Poster: A snowHead
.....Well at least according to Weather to Ski and Snow-Forecast websites.

I KNOW it's very early (and no gauge as to the season ahead) and I am easily excited but:

- The freezing level could be as low as 1500m in France, with 5 or 10cm of snow at that level.
- There could be 70-100cm of snow on the Austrian glaciers.

Amazing for the time of year - especially given the dire condition that the Alpine glaciers got into last October.

Here's to a long winter of the same.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Amazing for the time of year - especially given the dire condition that the Alpine glaciers got into last October.

This is, however, after the hottest summer on record.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I dunno, I think that's pretty normal at this time of year, and last October we got a big 100cm+(++) dump too!

Should be fun anyway though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okay....Position noted. And enthusiasm suitably tempered by the two Snowhead killjoys... Confused rolling eyes Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in the Alps. There was frost on the grass at 1200m in the Hauteluce Valley yesterday (inversion) and it looks like we'll have a bit of snow at my place at 1550 before the weekend. I'm not a killjoy and will enjoy it; snow on the magnificent autumn colours is lovely. And I feel smug about having my winter tyres on. But yesterday I was walking at 2000m in a tee shirt.

Snow in October is not unusual. Sometimes a fair bit. Mountain weather is like that. I spend some time here every October and the weather is unpredictable in the extreme.

Says nothing about the season to come but bodes well for skiing from 1 - 8 November in Tignes.

snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
Okay....Position noted. And enthusiasm suitably tempered by the two Snowhead killjoys... Confused rolling eyes Sad

Don't really see how I came across as a killjoy there! I'm stoked for powder this weekend Very Happy

Just pointing out that a big Autumn storm isn't 'amazing for the time of year,' as it happens most years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mountainaddict, Wooo Hooo
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wooo hoooo indeed! I'm off to Tignes on saturday……. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 is not a killjoy at all - just sensible reminder on what happened last year.
Last year we had lovely deep snow all over the alps in November.
Then it all melted early December, making for a rather tricky start to the season.
So, great for now, but no indication what it will be like for the coming season proper.
If i remember rightly, the wonderful winter of 1962-63 was preceded by a rather mild autumn (and it was wonderful for a 10 year old with a toboggan)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, I'm excited too. I might, (just might) make it onto a glacier this weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Listen to nature, the Yellow Gentians are growing tall in the alps and the swans have arrived early. All signs of a harsh and snowy winter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3270062/The-swans-say-freezing-winter-Arrival-Russian-Bewicks-Siberia-earliest-50-years-herald-harsh-weather.html#ixzz3oRaDjyF2
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BergenBergen, i'm not so sure about the logic of this.
This swan has left Siberia early, so maybe its cold up there.
But its come here, presumably coz its warmer
And these creatures listen to the weather, so probably chose here rather than elsewhere coz they thinks its going to stay warm.
So i think this arrival suggests a mild winter here, but maybe a harsher than usual winter in Siberia. Yes?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday balmy autumn, today it feels more wintery.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Perhaps, but you've heard the phrase 'too cold for snow', so a freezing Siberia combined with an anticyclone over Norway and a depression over the Med will be perfect for snow. Just keep repeating this chant... snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Don't really see how I came across as a killjoy there! I'm stoked for powder this weekend
Hmm...Just another misguided attempt at humour on my part clarky999...

Enjoy your powder fix! Four weeks till mine at Hintertux or Stubai - possibly both. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Snow on the peaks around Innsbruck - arrived over night and set to continue until the weekend.
latest report
Getting colder here, -3's and 4s forecast at night and snow down to the village wed night/thurs am Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, I hope they've turned our underfloor heating on.
snow report
Oops, I thought you wanted it turned off to save the leccy !!!
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, probably not - looking at the projected temps for next week

http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm
ski holidays
Snowing gloomily here at 1550 m. Will no doubt kill off the still lovely floral displays in many villages, make the cows miserable and all be gone with rain to higher altitude in a few days. Bit of a waste of time all round, really. The brilliant autumn sunshine of a few days ago was much preferable.
snow conditions
How can you tell when the cows are miserable? Is it too Friesian for them?
latest report
Laughing there's an Abondance of ways of telling when they're cheesed off.
snow conditions
@KenX, it's not the underfloor that is eating the leccy. That is communal and costs us peanuts.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, it is switched on for the all saints holiday weeks regardless of the temperature.
latest report
Quote:
Amazing snow for the time of year

Quote:
Woo hoo!

Meanwhile, we can rely on pamw to provide an-udder viewpoint and dampen the moooood Laughing
Quote:
Snowing gloomily at 1550m....Bit of a waste of time
snow conditions
Snowing heavily here in Zermatt; started last night and continued all day on and off and now around 4 inches in the village at 1620m....will let you know what it's like up top tomorrow morning 😈😈😈

😎😳😜😜😜
snow conditions
If winter started that early it would be over by mid-February. But sunshine is back next week and there is a hope that rain will wash off most of the snow that has fallen this week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy