Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your best tips for absolute beginners

Poster: A snowHead
So here I am, after forty years of waiting, facing my very first ski trip with a strange mix of exhilarated anticipation and dread. What suggestions do you have that will enable a cheery old dear (of short and comfortably upholstered proportions) to get the most out of her week?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads!

If you have an indoor snow dome near you, try to have a couple of lessons there before you go away. That will familiarise you with how to carry your skis/poles, put on ski boots and clip into and out of ski bindings, as well as giving you a feel for actually being on the snow. All those things will help you feel more comfortable and confident at the start of your week. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 top tips from me...

Don't put up with uncomfortable boots- they aren't slippers but shouldn't be agony. Its totally fine to go back to the hire shop and keep changing until you get it right.

Do plenty of leg exercises beforehand. There's some good stuff on you tube.

Never, ever book accommodation that doesn't have a bathtub. Post skiing bath is one of the highlights (or maybe that's just me...?)

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nem, that's just you wink . I have a bath in my flat in Flachau....I think I've used it once in 4 years! I've barely got time for a shower between apres and dinner beer mind a soak in the bath

@Popsie, welcome to SH. +1 on the boots and snowdome.

Are you going on a package holiday that includes ski hire and lessons? Where are you going? Catered chalet? Self catering?

Are you going with a bunch of beginners or will you be rhe only one in your group?

Do you have your ski clothes?

When we know more we can give a shed load of tips

...oh, and this from a cheery old dear of short and comfortable proportions. ..losing weight is definitely an advantage. It can be hard work at first when you aren't used to it

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 11-10-15 11:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, Ive only been skiing for two weeks. My first time ever stood on skis was at the MYaSH bash last season.
If i were to do it again I'd probably have some lessons in the UK first (as Iski suggested), also depending on how you work, I found youtube helpful.

I have worked my way through all these videos http://youtube.com/user/elatemedia/videos starting with this one
http://youtube.com/v/AR7C5qWvuUc

I'm not saying that you'll learn on how to ski and it doesn't replace an instructor, but what it does do it let you know the progression of the lessons so when you have an instructor and they tell you about this or that, its not the first time you're hearing about a particular thing. Also some people explain things with a different analogy that works for you.

Most important is when you get hire boots get some the correct size.
My first ever week was done in boots that were a size 30. The guys at the hire place were busy and just asked my normal shoe size and handed me my boots.

For the next holiday i got to the hire shop early and they measured my feet, i was then given 3 pairs to try that were a size 28 all of different widths.

So for my first week I was learning in boots 2 sizes too big with my feet rattling round in the boots, this made things a lot harder than they should have been.

Clothes wise I layered up with all the stuff coming from Aldi.
Sunglasses at the very least and ideally they should be wrap around.
Don't forget the sun cream

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 11-10-15 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies! Going with Snowheads to Livigno in January (my sons are ski nuts and no.2 son sort of strong armed us into it), so no worries about ski hire, lessons etc. Have some concerns about boots tho cos my little short feet are just about as broad as they are long. Good to know that it's okay to change them to try to get a better fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Popsie, Get fit, and if you are fit already get fitter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Enjoy it. Listen to your instructor. Practice, practice, practice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Popsie, in that case you'll have a fantastic time! But don't let strong skiers pressure you into doing things you are not comfortable with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you intent to have a SKI holiday, or a HOLIDAY that has some skiing? Total different experiences?
sK
SKI holidays are quite tiring when leaning if you are not used to exercise. But they are the best way to learn
A HOLIDAY that includes some skiing is much more relaxed. Ski a bit in the morning, then chill out and explore your surroundings. If it is the first time you have been in the mountains, then take the time to some up the fresh air over a cup of coffee in a cafe one afternoon.

Either way, enjoy it and have a great time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Further to the above,

Accommodation is half board, not sure about other beginners - except for my other half - but it wouldn't worry me if I was the only beginner in the group.

I was lucky enough to pick up trousers and a jacket from a ski warehouse near us that was closing down but will be checking out Lidl and Aldi for gloves and more socks. Might even push the boat out and try tkmaxx. And you'd have thought I'd won a gold medal in the downhill at Kitzbuhl when I found merino longjohns in Aldi yesterday, came home bearing them aloft in triumph.

Sun cream! Now that's something I wouldn't have thought of!

Have already started working on my fitness - been caring for poorly parents for the last couple of years which has been fairly sedentary, so quite a bit of work to do there! Also need to know what activities will help core strength - which will be an issue trying to get to my feet again after landing on my rear end!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Popsie, planks and bridging on the swiss ball. Wall sits are good too. Try a session with a personal trainer if you can afford it. Aldi us good for helmet and goggles. Get proper ski socks not 'tubes'. Get base layers in aldi too. It will be cold in livigno in January and there will be a lot of standing about in lessons.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try a very dry slope lessons before you get. snow will be easier when you get there.

Don't spend lots on clothing in case you don' t like it.

Enjoy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Popsie, My brother and I both went to Livigno last season with snowHeads. I'm not able to go this season, but my brother is going again and this time is taking his adult son and daughter. The son and daughter will be beginners too, but I think they might be having a couple of indoor lessons before they go. I think you'll have a great time!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Popsie, BTW I agree about the boots. It's horrible trying to ski if your feet are hurting.
snow report
@Popsie, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I think people have given some good advice here, so I'll just add a couple of comments:
1. Your idea of checking out Aldi and Lidl is very good, well done on the merino longjohns! They also do excellent value gloves, socks, goggles and helmets (should you choose to get one), but they only get them in stock at a specific time and quickly sell out, so keep a watch on your local stores and it's also usually commented here on snowHeads when the stock comes in.
2.In addition to sun cream also take some lip salve.
3. When I went on my first skiing holiday (many years ago!) I found that the first two days were the toughest. You are on the nursery slope and tend do a lot of slow speed falling over and getting up again which can be tiring (you will be shown how to get up again in lessons), but if you persevere then by the time you find that you can actually ski down a gentle slope and link a few snowplough turns you start to realise the attraction of this seemingly crazy activity, and if you are like most beginners you will be hooked! Laughing
4. Have fun! (But if you are going on the snowHeads Bash to Livigno I would say that that is guaranteed!) snowHead
ski holidays
First tips from #Iski are the best - a lot of frustration on your first trip revolves around the equipment. Learn how to do boots up properly. Clip boots into skis once they've popped off. Stand up again on your own after falling (very hard if there isn't much slope) etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting expensive gear. If you find you need some warmer gloves (or just a second pair if you first get wet) or something you can buy them when there.

Then a private lesson or two to get you going.
snow report
@Popsie, loads of good advice already. Like@holidayloverxx, I have a ski apartment and have had a bath at most 3 times in 14 years. I hate baths!

The most important thing is quality of instruction. Second is fitness. Cycling is good. If bridging on a Swiss ball sounds impossibly technical, think pushups. From your knees is the full sort are too tough, as they are for many of us. Lots of leisure centres run general fitness classes and some do focused ski ones. It's hard to do it on your own.

And yes, a couple of introductory sessions in a snowdon would be invaluable
ski holidays
By the way. If you are only 40 you are a good bit younger than several of us who have responded to your post!
ski holidays
Quote:

@nem, that's just you . I have a bath in my flat in Flachau....I think I've used it once in 4 years! I've barely got time for a shower between apres and dinner beer mind a soak in the bath

Looking forward to the apres in a few years! Skiing with the family at the moment and its all about the bath, box sets and games of poker.
latest report
@pam w, I've been waiting for 40 years to go skiing - ever since I was about 20 . . . .

Many thanks to everyone who's responded to my post, hoping to put at least some of your advice into practice.
snow report
If you embrace skiing with enthusiasm and have full half day lessons on days one and two plus try to ski in the afternoons, you may find on day 3 you find it harder as your legs go to jelly through being worn out on days 1 and 2. Don't worry, it happens to everyone! Take it easy. Pace yourself!
Your family and new found ski friends may want you to ski with them outside of lessons, which is lovely. However, as they say reassuringly "don't worry, you'll be fine", if you would rather just practise what your instructor told you, or sit in the sun, don't let yourself get talked into something you don't have the energy for!
latest report
Popsie wrote:
no.2 son sort of strong armed us into it

I didn't not strong arm nothing and no-one Razz

Perty wrote:
Your family and new found ski friends may want you to ski with them outside of lessons, which is lovely. However, as they say reassuringly "don't worry, you'll be fine", if you would rather just practise what your instructor told you, or sit in the sun, don't let yourself get talked into something you don't have the energy for!

Yep, I've already warned her that I'll be giving it all the "don't worry, you'll be fine".

Nice to see that all the lovely SH people are giving the ol' girl much the same advice that I've been passing on. Have toyed with the idea of trying to convince them to go to a snow dome, but living in Devon means that we're a good 3-4hrs from Hemel, which isn't ideal. We do have a dry slope locally, but having been there myself (and had two pairs of gloves ruined by the hard to use rope drag) I'm not sure it's a great place to start out. Also the guy taking the lessons seemed more concerned with talking about the finite detail (down to origins of words etc.) rather than transferable skills.
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, Laughing I d agree that a dry slope might not be ideal. They are suitable for keen, fairly fit people, who can cope with some uncomfortable falls.

Improved fitness has to be the key priority for someone starting to ski at 60. 6 hours brisk walking in the local hills and doing some focused leg exercises is probably much better value than 6 hours sat in a car driving to Hemel.
latest report
@pam w,
Quote:

agree that a dry slope might not be ideal.

These days pretty much all dryslope nursery areas are covered with carpet rather than matting -- so much nicer to fall on. Ours has some much spring you almost bounce back up again !
snow report
I've nothing much to offer
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude, well done for encouraging Mum to try skiing.
And well done Mum for giving it a go.
Lots of sensible advice.
I started as an adult (35 years).
Group lessons or Private is a tricky one. You probably get on quicker with Private, but there is something special about the bonding you get with a Beginners Group - just make sure they mostly (all?) speak English.
Although you are going out with better skiers, i think there is definite advantage in trying to ski with people of the same ability. You'll have more fun, and not be tempted to try things beyond your capabilities that will ruin your confidence and put you off skiing for evermore.

As for a Bath. I'm a great fan. Sinking into a sweet smelling hot bath topped with thick layer of bubbles at the end of the day is ecstasy beyond measure. It is also a good place to wash your socks (after you get out) - you will quickly find your ski socks (especially if you are hiring boots) get very smelly very quickly (can even happen to ladies). I wash mine at the end of every day. Otherwise your room can acquire a distinctly nasty aroma.
snow conditions
ski wrote:
These days pretty much all dryslope nursery areas are covered with carpet rather than matting -- so much nicer to fall on. Ours has some much spring you almost bounce back up again !

Exeter, from what I recall, is Dendix and can be a bit of a pig as it's farily solid and scratchy. The other downside is that the out and out beginner slope is one that you have to side step up, which is tiring at the best of times, but Ma is only 5ft f.a so hasn't exactly got the biggest stride!

I'm also a fan of a post ski bath (with a beer or two of course). Besides the fact that I've spend all day sweating, I also find it soothes the aching muscles that come from skiing all day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Popsie wrote:
@pam w, I've been waiting for 40 years to go skiing - ever since I was about 20 . . . ..

I also had my first ski trip at 60 and have been twice a year for the last 8 years - enjoy - it was worth the wait but you will curse that you didn't start earlier.
latest report
One tip:

Adjust your ability to the speed you are going at...
snow conditions
Hi everybody . . . . Nice to know that someone else of mature years (@codyaitch) learned to ski and loves it . . . I had the same feeling of 'if only I'd discovered this when I was younger' when I started dancing Ceroc about 7 years ago. Hoping that skiing gives me as much of a high as dancing does!

Have started gently working on building up my fitness - daily step up sessions, press ups from my knees and more walking. Realising that to cope with the thin air at altitude I'm going to have to work a whole lot harder between now and January!
snow report
@Popsie, that all sounds good. Skiing and dancing have a lot in common, I think.

Another piece of advice - no need to go high altitude!
snow conditions
@pam w, As a skier and a dancer I get what you mean Very Happy

To the OP all of the above, plus just do as much or as little skiing each day as you feel like. Enjoy the holiday, take time to appreciate the scenery, to love the feel of the wind on your face, to hear the silence, and enjoy each moment. With skiing, as with dance, its about appreciating every element! Smile
latest report
Brought a smile to my face on a monday morning Smile
I was almost 40 when i 1st went , your in for a treat! and an addiction!

Great advice above and i second the videos , they are great to watch and take in, no need to take them too serious , just watch and it will all make sense when your out there.

Few pointers from my experience ,

Your gonna have all manner of clobber and be wrapped up all toasty arriving at the slopes , make sure its layered and dont be afraid to take the jacket off , 1st couple of days the sweat will be flying out of you , its all a bit of a drag side stepping and button lifts and tense bodies, you will be running hot.

Take 5 minutes to figure out a way to carry the skis and poles etc , they can be a awkward till you figure out your way of carrying them Smile
Oh and leave them outside the pub and dont worry , they wont be stolen, i used to sit beside them and panic.
If the boots are sore , open them at lunch and taking them off at the end of the day will be bliss.

Should of put this first , but lessons and more lessons Smile

Enjoy the mountains , take the lift up to the top , usually you can take it back down again , have lunch there. hard as it is to believe there is every chance youll be skiing down toward the end of the week!

Just take it all in and enjoy it , its like a drug , i always pine for the 1st trip again , we all laughed so much day and night for a week.
latest report
@hawkwind, Very Happy I've already talked to her a bit about carrying skis (last thing we need is her swinging skis onto her shoulder and catching someone in the unmentionables!) and trying to make sure she doesn't end up dressing like an Arctic explorer.

I reluctantly agree about lessons (even though I've only had a sum total of 2 hours teaching), although convincing my old man to stump up for them might be tricky, he's tighter than the north end of a south-bound mallard.
snow report
@Popsie, Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest lessons, lessons, lessons ... get lessons at least each morning.

If you are in a group with other beginners you can laugh and enjoy each others mistakes and it will be fun.

Have a nice lunch and perhaps a snooze in the sun in the afternoon.
Don't forget the Sun Screen though.

I don't think I would suggest trying to get "up to speed" on dry slopes .. the real thing is much easier.
Lots of good advice about boots above, also layering .. you may get too hot or you may feel cold.

Try and get into a beginners group who seem like good fun .. you dont want any classmates taking it too seriously.
And the rest of the family will over estimate your ability, they will have forgotten how hard it is for a beginner.

We want to hear about the great time you had when you come back.

Its great being a beginner, as its all before you!
snow report
@DrLawn, Sounds like very wise advice, especially the bit about snoozing in the sun in the afternoon! In fact, some great suggestions all round - I've no idea how I'll stand up to the physical rigours of my first skiing holiday, so I could quite well be taking the lift to the top and back down again.

One things for sure, I love being in the mountains after taking many spring and early summer road trips to Italy over numerous different routes and I'm certainly going to make the most of my first alpine winter experience! (Even if the whole skiing thing doesn't work out for me!).
ski holidays
I agree about the dry slopes. The only time I went on one, about 30 years go, before I went proper skiing I dislocated my thumb. The only time i've ever injured myself skiing.
latest report
I used to go to dry ski slopes after I had a few weeks skiing. Never had any lessons there, just went to see what it was like. I found that if you go in rainy wet weather, the dry brushes are much slippier and less likely to cause friction burns when you fall. I certainly enjoyed it more when it was raining or wet.
latest report
So . . . . . Fitness improving, my next query is about kit. I see Lidl will have winter gear in their stores next week, is it worth buying their goggles? I'm not expecting to be ripping down the piste, but even so, if conditions are bright I will need eye protection. I don't fancy paying £35 upwards, but equally I don't fancy spending the week trying to peer through mist lenses.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy