Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

whats more dangerous??

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing is dangerous, ski racing even more so..............or is it??? we've (race club) 'lost' four of our kids to injuries in the last four or five weeks to broken limbs, two to rugby, one trying snowboarding and one to 'larking around' touch wood not one to actually skiing.!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of my knee injuries came from hockey not skiing (and being knocked if bike while cycling to work)...one was from skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I can gather, rugby is really rather dangerous.

Looking at my wife's toes, so was schoolgirl field hockey when she was playing it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes I used to get far more mine injuries from school hockey that club hockey (I played for the town and school at the same time).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

From what I can gather, rugby is really rather dangerous.

+1000
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could argue that this is more down to supervision and the skills the person has, although that should be in place throughout all sports.
You've also then got the whole physical contact side of it.

But yes I would agree that skiing itself is a lot safer than most when you consider the amount of people who go.
It just gets put in a bad light that when you do have an injury they tend to be quite severe, and could be avoided ... touch wood that does not happen to anyone. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My youngest suffered the following through rugby, all of which caused him to miss 4 weeks or more:
3 x AC joint injuries
1 x SC Joint dislocation
2 x Ankle ligament injuries
1 x Broken scaphoid (still a non union)

Rugby is most definitely dangerous; far more than it used to be IMHI as players are bigger, stroger and fitter.... but ligaments are not.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sleeping is by far most dangerous activity... most of deaths happen during sleep. So why bother. Skiing, ice hockey, cycling, football can be perfectly fine and you don't get injured in years, or you can first time you try it. Any kind of statistics won't help with your particular session.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My dad always said that he got more injuries playing field hockey than he ever did playing rugby. Although he always said that he preferred hockey over playing rugby.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a dentist, most dental injuries I see involve children and bikes. This is closely followed by trampolines and swimming pools
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always thought horse riding was one of the the most dangerous ( having had friends nearly killed or maimed by horses ), followed by skiing on blue pistes near the end of the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dzmarc wrote:
...I would agree that skiing itself is a lot safer than most when you consider the amount of people who go.
... It just gets put in a bad light that when you do have an injury they tend to be quite severe, and could be avoided ...

On your first point, the evidence for that is easily available. For example the US ski resorts national association publish annual reports looking at fatalities and "catastrophic" injuries across the US: http://www.nsaa.org/media

You may well find that driving to the resort is more dangerous than riding there.

Horse riding is almost certainly more dangerous, yet not generally considered so, partly because it's not "politically acceptable" to mention it: http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v40/n6/full/3101280a.html

Quote:
Sleeping is by far most dangerous activity... most of deaths happen during sleep... Any kind of statistics won't help with your particular session.

If you think about the manifest nonsense of your first point you can probably work out why your conclusion is flawed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Should we assume dangerous = number of injuries per participant hour played...

Even then it's questionable. Because there is a scale of injuries... and some sports would have a lot of minor injuries where as others will have a smaller number but the injuries would be far more severe.

And of course things change over time for all sorts of reasons. For example the improvement in skiing equipment will clearly have made it a lot safer, whilst the perhaps the speed at which people ski has made it more dangerous.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember the government drugs adviser who said Ecstasy was safer than horse riding. He was right but still got the sack. Mountain biking is definitely dangerous, too
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Life is dangerous with a probability 1 of and historical fatality rate of 100% ...
snow report
I saw a kid break his leg playing soccer last week. Really not very nice and on researching , apparently not unusal. See a lot of soccer injuries here as the kids over train and play it 50 weeks per year.

Football (CFL) is a biggie here. A guy I know is a medic radiologist. He sits on the bench for the CFL Stampeders and has 4-5 consults a game; for the NHL Flames he has less than 1 per game.

Head injuries and sub concussions are the big one here; with football, hockey and soccer all stacking up for these.

I think mountain biking is more dangerous than skiing; my daughter did an all girls mountain bike camp in the summer. She ended up in A and E (ouch for the ambulance ride here) but was fine and two days later a girl broke her femur. There were only 5 in the group!
latest report
Some info here from Statslife.org.
Quote: "Based on US government figures, Forbes ranked the top 10 sports by injuries and skiing and snowboarding came in at number nine. Which means using bicycles, footballs and treadmills could land you in a hospital sooner than a pair of skis."
ski holidays
It shouldn't be a surprise that Rugby has more injuries than skiing. We idiot rugby players DELIBERATELY crash into each other many times a game, it is the point of it really. Each big impact has the potential to injure you so the more impacts the more chance of injury. Add to that the speed of impact, in rugby two players running at each other have a fair closing speed and stop pretty much instantly. How many skiiers ski smack into a tree at twice running speed many times a day?

Football (soccer for our transatlantic readers) injuries are not real anyway, they are just pretending
Laughing Laughing (this is a rugby player joke before I get shouted at!)
ski holidays
I've played rugby and skied most of my life (as well as other sports). I must have been exceptionally lucky! Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Some info here from Statslife.org.
Quote: "Based on US government figures, Forbes ranked the top 10 sports by injuries and skiing and snowboarding came in at number nine. Which means using bicycles, footballs and treadmills could land you in a hospital sooner than a pair of skis."

That survey does not take into account varying participation rates.

I broke my arm playing hide and seek when I was 6.
I once slashed a big gash in my forehead going for a wide shot in tennis and whipping the racket around.
And so it goes on.
snow report
According to this data, you have LESS risk of death when skiing than when jogging

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/your-chances-of-dying-ranked-by-sport-and-activity

Dying is an extreme outcome of course Shocked
But in other data, you are more likely to be injured playing football than skiing.
In both cases the data relates to skiing on marked runs. Not really particularly dangerous on piste, then.
The idea that skiing is inherently dangerous is outmoded and not backed up by the stats.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
My dad always said that he got more injuries playing field hockey than he ever did playing rugby.

Me too.
Quote:
Although he always said that he preferred hockey over playing rugby.

Not me too. Got frustrated by leaving the ball behind. Should have passed more!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Life is dangerous with a probability 1 of and historical fatality rate of 100% ...

Actually I think around 10-15% of all people who have lived have never died.
latest report
BAse jumping is the most dangerous activity in the world, I believe. About 1 death per fifty participants per year. Sadly, it's what claimed Shane Mcconkey. Paragliding is quite risky and speed flying (the little wings) whilst skiing is likely to increase your life insurance premiums.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Actually I think around 10-15% of all people who have lived have never died.

Wait
snow conditions
Field hockey is far more dangerous than ice hockey, from bitter experience of spending Saturday mornings with ice packs on various limbs and face, and cleaning blood off stuff compared to Sunday evenings spent, well, playing ice hockey...
snow conditions
My knees are knackered from sailing!
ski holidays
The internet made me blind....... Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I play field hockey at a fairly good standard and see lots of injuries but I view most of them as minor. Most seasons I seem to crack bones in my hands but they are patched up quickly. I see lots of muscle strains but that's the same for most sports and as my physio kindly informed me last week "you are no spring chicken anymore". Whilst she is factually correct it's not what you want to hear Sad
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:
I think mountain biking is more dangerous than skiing;

Mountain biking covers a very wide spectrum. Riding forest gravel roads is probably the safest kind of cycling you can do, downhill through trees, not so much. Skiing isn't safe at any level because even on an easy piste, somebody else out of control can take you out.
snow report
Saravega wrote:
According to this data, you have LESS risk of death when skiing than when jogging

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/your-chances-of-dying-ranked-by-sport-and-activity

There's some very dubious numbers there. For example, annual risk of death from "mountain hiking" 1:15,700. If that were true the Lakes or Snowdonia MRTs would be carrying corpses off the hill on a daily basis.
snow conditions
[quote="dogwatch"]

Mountain biking covers a very wide spectrum. [/quotej

As do all sports. The more expert the participant the higher the risks and the higher the consequences of a fall/mistake.
ski holidays
On reflection, cycling is the one that has consistently produced the worst injuries, even death, amongst friends and acquaintances.
ski holidays
My only ever (touch wood) injuries have been from rugby, motorcycling, mountain biking and a sash window (!), never skiing...
snow report
An American Footballer was asked about the contact sport he played and he replied "Football ain't a contact sport, it's a collision sport - ballroom dancing is a contact sport" Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

There's some very dubious numbers there. For example, annual risk of death from "mountain hiking" 1:15,700. If that were true the Lakes or Snowdonia MRTs would be carrying corpses off the hill on a daily basis.

You may be surprised but in 30 years of horse-riding (including competitive riding) I only ever had a couple of cases of mild concussion, no broken bones. In 10 years of skiing I broke a few fingers on one occassion, but just walking in the Alps I broke both legs (at the same time). I was not the only hiker in the hospital for broken bones that summer - it was a very busy department.
ski holidays
@dogwatch,

Agreed. But mountain biking here can be quite extreme!
latest report
I hear FAR more ambulances during MTB season than ski season
ski holidays
When our son played club rugby, a doctor attended all home matches - on behalf of the RFU, doing research on the nature & severity of accidents within youth sports, and the effects of training / club facilities etc... (whilst club players in England rules are fed in gradually each your until full pitch at 13, leaving lifting in lines outs until 16, where as NI, Wales & Scotland vary - although at school rules again jumped up in larger stages, to be on full pitch 8 man scrums much younger than club)....
At the club dinner she gave a fantastic conclusion of the data that she & other doctors in the UK had seen.

Rugby has a large element of risk and injuries than most sports, however American football was worse and this was by far overweighed by horse riding - at all ages & skill levels.

When asked about mountain biking, she said that at that time there was no real reliable info covering general recreational MTB, except at regional championships / races where there were.

At the end of the day everything in life has a risk attached to it - if you are comfortable with that risk then fine, if not then you change / modify your exposure to that risk until you reach an acceptable level.

Having raced motorcycles, I was happy with the risk attached to road racing, until a friend nearly lost his fingers and narrowly avoided a possible broken back, so I changed to off road racing, where I deemed the risk was far more acceptable. My friend went on to race at the IOM TT races & in Ireland, had many more breakages of bones and only retired after starting a family....

You make your choices & take your pick....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy