Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revelstoke - sidecountry/backcountry ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Revelstoke BC this winter. Has anyone got any pointers for sidecountry or backcountry ?
I've seen the articles on backcountryskiingcanada.com - which look good - but that's all. Is it acceptable to get into the cat skiing area that borders the ski hill ? Are there any other local areas ?
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hook up with some locals if you can.

I can tell you about how cat/ heli works in BC generally. The operator rents a "tenure" from the government, but if it's on public land (it most likely will be), then they don't control access to it. So they can't stop you sledding or hiking up there for example. In principle you can use their cat roads for access, and shred "their" runs, because they have an exclusive tenure to operate the business, not to access the land.

So you can see that it's easy to come into conflict if due "respect" isn't maintained. They'd not expect you to trash their runs, but may help you find other areas which don't harm their business. Note that RMR own one of the local Cat companies, which may affect things a little. You don't want to put their clients at risk. If you have an accident they will assist. If you're polite and not a nuisance they may even tow your sled out of a hole now and then. The staff will all be local and it's a small place. Locals will tell you how all this works.

I haven't used the resort heli/cat, but I have ridden with Eagle Pass heli which is excellent and has the advantage of not bordering the ski hill. Oh yes, Revelstoke, it's on the right side of the hill.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that quick response.
Very useful to know a bit of the background. I certainly don't want to upset the Cat operation so will ask around when I get there. Very conscious that I don't want to be playing above them on an uncontrolled part of the mountain.
Cheers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's well worth parting with a bit of $ for a guide in my opinion. Just booked a trip to Revy this winter too. This will be my second time and I'm planning to take an Avi course while I'm there. I remember from my last visit that even some of the inbounds areas felt like being in slackcountry. I can imagine it's easy to get out of your depth if you don't know where you're going. Revelstoke is vast!

I booked my trip through a BC-based tour op called Powder Rangers. They were super helpful hooking us up with the avalanche safety course and we got a sweet deal for the Sutton Place hotel right at the lift base. I'm pretty sure they can arrange local guides too. I think we may do that on one day after our course.

www.powderrangers.ca
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are four sections to Revelstoke. The front, under the gondola. mostly trees, and be really careful going off through the trees. There are many rock bands and cliffs and it can soon turn nasty. To the skiers right at the top through the backcountry gate and the glades just inside the boundary are good but that is where most people go. I really liked the glades there. The hike up above the Mackenzie outpost is where it really starts. The back bowl is tremendous, and the further skiers right you hike or go the quieter, deeper, steeper and better. The cat skiing goes off skiers left of the Mackenzie outpost. The ski touring also goes from there. Drop down anywhere after the boundary and just ski until you hit the cat track. Be careful on the track in case the cat is operating. It is a trek back to the lifts from there.

The cat operation is extremely good and well priced. If I was you, I would use it. The crew are great.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't forget the extreme apres ski ....
I had a great time out at the "Last Drop" live music on Wednesday nights.
I think I've got that right ... still a bit fuzzy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that the folk dancing?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy