Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski size for children.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about buying ski'd for my two boys and would like some advice on the sizes to purchase, bearing in mind that I would like them to last all season !

Boy 1 - 6 years old, 130 cm tall, 116 cm to nose, 110 cm to chin.

Boy 2 - 3 years old, 105 cm tall, 93 cm to nose, 88 cm to chin.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they experienced skiers or beginners? If the latter, chest height.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up to the chin or lower....chest height if absolute beginners. Don't buy longer skis on the basis that they will grow into them. Better just to sell them on second hand for the smaller one when they grow out of them and buy second hand as they grow to minimise cost.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son is 142cm and has 138cm Salomon SL Race skis and 139cm K2 Juvy Twin Tips. When he started 2.5 years ago he was on 110s and after a year progressed to 130s. In less than 3 years he’s been on 3 different lengths. If they are beginners I’d suggest keeping then relatively short and buying secondhand. I picked up a superb pair of virtually brand new 110s for my son. In fact I got skis, helmet, boots and poles in the deal on Gumtree. The helmet was too small so was given away. A year or so later I sold the boots and skis separately and got more back than I had paid out. And I still have poles – Leki adjustables.

I picked up his 130s new in an end of season sale. These were sold a couple of months ago for about 60% of the price I paid. That isn’t too bad as they are used almost every week. As he is now racing I bought the Salomon SLs new from Ekosport; again in an end of season sale. Originally my plan was to use the 130s for training and the 138s for races but I then decided that it would be better if he trained and race on the same type of ski so I went back to Ekosport and picked up another pair of Salomons. In the time between buying the first pair and buying the second they had come down in price by a further £40!

ebay and Gumtree are good places to look. You do see kids stuff offered for sale on here but it is infrequent.

I do look after his kit. They are waxed and edged regularly. I do this for two reasons: (1) it helps with his skiing and (2) it should assist with resale and the price achieved. The parent who bought the 130s was delighted with them as was his son.

I’m not sure I’ll have quite the same success with the Salomons. I’m keeping them in good condition on the edges and base but the top sheets are a mess. They are the type that are easily marked and kids being kids have no consideration when in queues. My son has now given up telling others to keep off his skis. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Are they experienced skiers or beginners? If the latter, chest height.

5 yo - experienced, can plough/parallel, very close to parallel turns.

3 yo - beginner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaza wrote:
My son is 142cm and has 138cm Salomon SL Race skis and 139cm K2 Juvy Twin Tips. When he started 2.5 years ago he was on 110s and after a year progressed to 130s. In less than 3 years he’s been on 3 different lengths. If they are beginners I’d suggest keeping then relatively short and buying secondhand. I picked up a superb pair of virtually brand new 110s for my son. In fact I got skis, helmet, boots and poles in the deal on Gumtree. The helmet was too small so was given away. A year or so later I sold the boots and skis separately and got more back than I had paid out. And I still have poles – Leki adjustables.

I picked up his 130s new in an end of season sale. These were sold a couple of months ago for about 60% of the price I paid. That isn’t too bad as they are used almost every week. As he is now racing I bought the Salomon SLs new from Ekosport; again in an end of season sale. Originally my plan was to use the 130s for training and the 138s for races but I then decided that it would be better if he trained and race on the same type of ski so I went back to Ekosport and picked up another pair of Salomons. In the time between buying the first pair and buying the second they had come down in price by a further £40!

ebay and Gumtree are good places to look. You do see kids stuff offered for sale on here but it is infrequent.

I do look after his kit. They are waxed and edged regularly. I do this for two reasons: (1) it helps with his skiing and (2) it should assist with resale and the price achieved. The parent who bought the 130s was delighted with them as was his son.

I’m not sure I’ll have quite the same success with the Salomons. I’m keeping them in good condition on the edges and base but the top sheets are a mess. They are the type that are easily marked and kids being kids have no consideration when in queues. My son has now given up telling others to keep off his skis. Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for the good advice Gaza.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

I was just thinking of getting my sons K2 Juvys 119cm ready to put on eBay. They are twin tips, so ride short - he loved them so we got him the next size up this year.
They have been used by an 8/9 year old so do have scratches and a dink (repaired) on the top sheets! There are usual wear and tear marks to bases...
Let me know if they might be of interest
Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless you are planning on driving to the Alps AND skiing for several weeks in close succession then I really doubt it makes much sense to buy skis. TBH the argument for adults to buy their own skis is now fairly questionable for many people, so for children it's very dubious. Personally, I'd put the effort into getting a great hiring deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless you are planning on driving to the Alps AND skiing for several weeks in close succession then I really doubt it makes much sense to buy skis. TBH the argument for adults to buy their own skis is now fairly questionable for many people, so for children it's very dubious. Personally, I'd put the effort into getting a great hiring deal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy