Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on car/van hire suitable for 5 plus skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were originally travelling in a group of 4 and planned to hire a mondeo estate at the airport and carry skis inside. Now there's 5 of travelling (all adults). Any advice on type of car or van to hire? I don't really want to hire a ski rack and looking at vans, the price really starts to shoot up. A Sharan looks a more reasonable price than some of the vw vans but I'm not sure whether it'll take us all with skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How far are you going? I've done 5 adults + skis in a mondeo estate a few times and its not impossible but it is quite uncomfortable; for 1 hr to chamonix would be ok, but 3hrs to Tignes might be pushing it. Long skis alongside the passenger doors, shorter ones diagonally across the boot.
If not, a 7-seater is fine - one person in the very back row, 2 in the middle row, then all the skis and kit go on one side of the car where the back and middle seats are folded.
Final option is to get a handirack (which I now use) - inflatable roofrack, costs £40, fits in your hand baggage, and can easily be used to take 4 pairs of skis. 5th would either fit on top (I think, have never tried) or go inside the car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the speedy reply - all fairly short journeys. Although we'd pick up the car in Salzburg, we're picking us skis nearer to where we're staying and all resorts are then within half hour journey time, so maybe we'll go with the 7 - seater. I like the idea of the inflatable rack though - worth investigating. I didn't know they existed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're using the vehicle a lot during your holiday I'd pay the extra and get a van. As well as being able to slide your skis straight into the boot without any hassle they give you loads of space for changing in/out of your boots and sorting your kit out. Well worth it on a snowy morning in a slushy car park.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - agree a much better bet in terms of ease. We've had 9-seater vans before with larger groups where we could share the cost and they've worked well. I guess this time I was just seeing whether we might be able to get by with something smaller.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for the handirack. I've had three 20kg kayaks on one before without issues; 5 pairs of skis is easy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your responses, which are really helpful. I'll do some more investigation this weekend, but I'm leaning towards the 7-seater, as it's so much cheaper than the 9-seater with the back-up of the inflatable rack.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Remember that you probably need a 4 door car for the portable rack, as the straps need to run through the inside of the car.

We hired a van with a sliding side door on one side only so the rack wouldn't work on that (though we didn't actually need it coz of the extra space)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mercedes Vito vans have twin sliding doors.
Unless it's a double cab, most vans only have seating for 3.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dode, I think "Van" is being used in this thread as shorthand for "MiniVan" or Minibus.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valkyrie, gotcha.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy