Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Kaprun in July

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning a motorcycling trip through the alps next year, early July. Really fancy some skiing- wonder if Kaprun is a fair bet at that time of year? Could swim in lake Zell and ski Kaprun in the same day. That's the plan, anyway.

Anyone skied there at this time of year-ish? What was it like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have skied there in September and July. Wouldn't like to say what the conditions would be like but we were lucky with the snow and cool weather. This area has a whole lot to offer in any season on and off the snow. Would say that it is one of the better destinations in July in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think Kaprun is open for skiing in July normally. Hintertux will be and I have done that numerous times over the years in July/August. Have also done Solden in August once. It's luck of the draw, sometimes really wintery and nice underfoot, other times slushy as hell and peeing with rain and everything in between. I would decide when you get there.

If you are on a bike tour you'll almost certainly do the Stelvio and there is normally skiing to be had up there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does it have to be Austria?

Tignes glacier closes in May then reopens in early July. It stays open until the end of August.

The closure does it the world of good - it doesn't get skied down to the bare ice as badly as glaciers that don't close; snow generally gets topped up; and conditions are usually pretty decent through most of July - but can deteriorate if the weather is scorching.

Access via the funicular is easy and quick too.

I've skied there in 7 of the last 9 Julys - and always enjoyed it. We've even skied powder twice.

Some great mountain roads for your bike as well - eg Col De L'Iseran at about 2700m.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't skied on the Tignes glacier but I can vouch for the whole valley as a summer destination - we go to Bourg St Maurice every summer for our holiday and the whole area is a thing of wonder. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jenniper,

If you go to BSM every year it's worth giving the Grande Motte glacier a go - 30 minutes up the road and all that. Choose a sunny day and Bob's your muvver's bruvver! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitzsteinhorn / Kaprun has not opened for summer skiing the last 3 or 4 summers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is usually open in very early July, but it is completely dependent on the weather and snow cover. It is usually shut from mid-July to late September.

I've skied there on Midsummer's Day for example, doing more or less what the OP suggests, although we went diving and sailing in the afternoon. My dream was to ski down to the Alpin-Center then paraglide down to the lake, sail across the lake and finish with a night dive. so far I've managed the skiing, sailing and diving bit, but the paragliding has not been possible because of weather and flying restrictions due to the airport at Bruck Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@faithsdaddy, Yes you can but as others say it really depends on the usual weather variables. If you go even a couple of weeks earlier it is more likely. IIRC 2012 was the last year it opened into July and whilst the spring weather will be a major factor regardless I would think it a reasonable presumption that 2012 was significantly due to the sheer amount of snow that fell the preceding winter. The last 3 winters snowfall amounts have been poor to middling and thus the melt below the base of even the highest t-bars has occurred much sooner. So, if we get a very snowy winter you should have at least one element of whats required to makes plans with?

Also be aware that they normally shut the lifts for maintenance for a couple of weeks in early June so please check the schedules and email them for the planned dates for that http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/information/contact

As a plan for a summer day it is perfect, you'll certainly need to be up with the crows to get the best conditions but its a great experience. Remember as well that Zell is a proper two season resort, as busy in summer as in winter with a proper 'summer holiday' feel at the lake so you will really feel as though it's January in the morning and July in the afternoon. If you can go the weekend nearest mid summer to witness the 'sonnenwendfeuer' (summer night fires) on the Saturday night.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@faithsdaddy, For the last couple of summers Kitzsteinhorn has not opened for summer skiing - for example, this summer it closed at the end of May and re-opens in October. http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/skiing-resort/tickets-prices

However, searching around on their website, there is some good news: http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/skiing-resort

At the very bottom of the page (you'd have thought they would have made it more prominent) it states ' Kitzsteinhorn is open for skiing until 24th July 2016' so you may be in luck snowHead

As others have said, it is only really worth doing if you get there very early in the morning. From late morning it can get very slushy, and by midday there can be streams running across the pistes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your touring the Alps, Hintertux is not that far away from Kaprun and for sure Tux will be open for skiing (it's open 365 days a year).
The Zillertal is very pretty and the Zillertaler Höhenstraße looks like it should be fun on a motorbike.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kaprun was closed all Summer this year primarily because of the removal of many of the drag lifts and the construction on the new Gletscherjet 3+4 Gondola/Chairlift Combo. Granted the snowcover may or may not have been good but I believe it was planned to be closed anyway.

Pistes are now wider and I believe a new one may have been constructed thanks to the extra space and being less confined by the drag lifts.

http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/about-us/cable-cars-lifts/new-gletscherjet-3-4
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I emailed them directly. They said it will be open until 24th July snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What bike have you got?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bensley wrote:
What bike have you got?

Blackbird and Pan European.
latest report