Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vancouver airport car hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations or top tips regarding car hire in Canada? Which extra insurances to get or to avoid? I have spoken to hertz and they say that all their cars at Vancouver airport have winter tyres now - I am aware that has been a hot topic in previous threads. What about the other hirers? Who do you recommend and why? Thank you for any help offered.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've booked small cars out of Calgary via "Canadian Affair" a couple of times, then upgraded to SUV's on arrival.
I cant remember who the car hire company was .. probably "National".
Great cars ... Mitsubishi AVX. The tyres were "all season" rather than pure winter. But it all worked well.
What was particularly good was the insurance thrown in by "Canadian Affair" was very comprehensive and covered the chipped windscreen.
Chipped Windscreens are very very common on the Trans Canada Highway because of the constant gritting.
You will almost certainly be overtaken when driving at the maximum permitted speed, by huge trucks driven by Bangladeshi drivers who have little concept of the dangers of driving on ice.
The local truckers call them "Turbanaters".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DrLawn, love it! Why did you book economy and then upgrade?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre You can often get a "deal" on large cars when you arrive at the desk. They often have plenty of larger cars and a shortage of the "compact".
Then they are quite happy to let the SUV's go out especially if its for a week or 10 days.
There was only two of us so a small car would do, I would not recommend this if you really must have a people carrier.
My chum who owns a holiday home near Kicking Horse keeps a people carrier parked up permanantly at Calgary Airport.
If I go with him, we pick it up clear the snow off the roof and pray that its going to start at -30 ... and it does!
Then he hands over more than 500 CDN$ in cash for 4 months parking.

Then the holiday begins!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're just going to Whistler, take a coach; a number of companies available. Frequent, comfortable, relaxing and picks you up downtown, drops you in the middle of the resort, about £35 each way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hired a small (by N. American standards) SUV with winter tyres from Avis at Vancouver Airport a couple of years ago. Probably not the cheapest, but no dramas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy