Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Briancon to Valloire advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've just booked our son onto the 6th form ski trip to Serre Chevaliar which happens to be the week before UK half term. We've already got half term booked in Valloire. College are quite happy for us to collect him - now I just need to work out the logistics.

We usually half term in the Maurienne Valley, drive down on Friday stay in a little hotel in Montmelian (just East of Chambery) and drive up to resort in the morning. We've already got this hotel booked for the Friday night, but I'm thinking that this would make a very long day of it on Saturday and am swaying towards staying in Briancon on Friday night, picking him up early doors and having a reasonably easy drive through the Frejus tunnel Saturday. In fact if we do the bulk of the journey on Thursday the we could even sneak a half day ski in somewhere new to us.

I'm looking for help and or comments on driving to Briancon from the tunnel, then getting from Briancon on Saturday morning. Or any alternative suggestions - thanks to the wonders of booking.com I am currently holding bookings for Friday night in Modane (that's for 3 of us in case we decide to collect him Friday evening and get through Frejus before Sat) and in Briancon. Also still have my original reservation in Montmelian, which I'm kind of sad to miss as the whole group meet there and it's a place we've been staying for the last 3 years, but I'm not going to be too sentimental if it puts hours of driving on my journey.

Another option is to meet them at the return airport - but at the moment we don't know which one that will be, but it will be one of: Grenoble, Lyon or Geneva, my gut feeling is that will make Saturday a much longer travelling day (especially if we're looking at GVA) then we would like.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions the collective snowHead might have.

Thanks

Sharon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowlamb, it's a relatively easy drive to Briancon from the tunnel via the Col du Montgenevre. New tunnels on the section up to Claviere has speeded it up considerably and cut out some of the hairpins. However, I expect with the Col du Lauteret not being available as a route out of Serre Che next winter,due to the collapse of the Tunnel du Chambon it might be busier than usual. If you stay in Briancon, get an early start back to Modane. It is the end of the first French holiday week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even if the Lauteret is open, the Galibier linking to Valloire closes for winter so the route into Italy is by far the quickest.

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep the Lauteret open as they're going to great lengths to provide an alternative to the collapsed tunnel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Another option is to meet them at the return airport

It'd be better to avoid any unnecessary proximity to airports.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, the Lauteret may be open, but it still won't get you there from Valloire if the Galibier is closed (and it will be) . They will keep the Lauteret open as much as possible to allow traffic into La Grave from the Serre Che side, but there won't be any through traffic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so far for the prompt replies - think you're right PamW - we will stay very clear of airports.

I realise I wasn't very clear in my original post Hells Bells - I'm also looking for advice re' the drive from Calais to Briancon rather than from the Frejus tunnel. I've driven to the Alps many times but never further South then Maurienne/Chambery. I see that you have an apartment in SC so am assuming it's a drive you do a lot - do you have a favourite route? Favourite stop over spot?
Quote:
If you stay in Briancon, get an early start back to Modane. It is the end of the first French holiday week.

Would you recommend going back to Modane on Friday evening then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowlamb, ah ok, sorry I misunderstood you. I would take exactly the normal route you will take to Valloire , then head to Briancon from there via Tunnel de Frejus. Our normal route is unavailable due to the tunnel du chambon collapse. And yes, I probably would go back to Modane on Friday evening if I could.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did just this last week in reverse, Calais-Reims-Troyes-Lyon-Chambery then on to Frejus tunnel and over the Col du Montgenevre to Briancon, took me 10 hours and I think €80-100 for tolls (I went over the Galibier so no tunnel tax, probably takes the same time too, as the road from Lauteret to Valloire is so slow!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the Frejus tunnel very expensive?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they're doing the online tickets by winter it's about €10 return, otherwise it's €44 one way, €54 return......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy