Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in monte rosa area???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at monte rosa area for 3 days as part of a road trip in late March, and would like some advice on the villages. Basically not sure where to stay, Champollion seems to have the closest resemblance to a proper "resort village", with a few pubs etc BUT it seems a bit stuck out on the end of the ski area (particularly the mouth watering off piste around the gressoney/alagna watershed. Anyone care to share experiences of this-is Champoluc the best bet if you want a pub open after 9 for a quiet pint AND quick access to the best of the area, or is the time lost in commuting significant?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have stayed in Gressoney la Trinite in the summer and cycled the area, and liked it so much we ended up spending Christmas and New year in Champoluc last year. We loved it. A great village with enough bars and lovely places to eat and a really friendly atmosphere. Gressoney itself is much quieter but the place to stay for easy access to the lifts in that particular valley - Stafal -lacks the village atmosphere. Alagna is very attractive, is very quiet but does feel out on a limb, and I think it's less directly accessible by road.
Underanewname-a regular snowhead is more of an expert on the area than I, but I think Champoluc is by far the nicest place to stay in terms of village facilities and atmosphere. To get up to Passo Salati above Alagna from Champoluc takes about an hour-a bit quicker if you start by going up the road to Frachey. Then head up to Punta Indren -the highest point and explore the offpiste. I recall last season we got up there, skied the itinerary down to the refuge and still had an early lunch around noon.

We Went back for long weekend in March. Lovely quiet pistes, great pasta lunches, very reasonable prices. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where is Champollion?

I will confess to a vested interest in that the family owns property in Champoluc. The ski area is great. Champoluc is definitely the best place to stay. Little or no time list in "commuting" especially if you ascend first via Frachey funicular. You are then:

funicular - chair - chair

to above Staffal, and thusly into Gressoney/Alagna.

Just be careful that if it's windy and they close the Col, you have a very expensive taxi ride. They are sensitive to this and tend to warn and control closely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Autocorrect...

Cheers for the info, i was leaning towards champoluc anyway. Guess its not much different from staying in st anton and wanting to get over to the stuben area
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy