Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort is this?

Poster: A snowHead
French
Nice village (pretty)
Good bars and restaurants.
Suitable for blue-run bashers - a fair number of blues for variety
Guaranteed snow (snow making is fine) in February
Ski-in/ski-out to the village
Close to Geneva for flights/transfers

Obviosuly.... I don't know where it is.... But my mate wants to book it for next year Smile

My experience tells me:
St Gervais: not enough happening in the town, not enough blues, can,t ski down to the town
Morzine: possible... Done it before many times
Avoriaz: not what you' deal... Pretty!
Flaine: also.. Not pretty

Help?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chamonix.
not exactly ski in/out. but it close enough to the slopes around.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samoens except for the ski in/ski out but unless you push "Close to Geneva" out towards 3 hours, and more expensive, doubt you'll tick all the boxes above. Morzine may be best bet but ski down to village can be in the lap of the weather Gods there as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone who thinks there's not enough going on in St Gervais is not likely to be too happy with Samoens.

That place probably doesn't exist. Properly pretty villages are in valleys and guaranteed snow doesn't happen in valleys.

Don't forget that the whole of February other than the first week will be French school holidays - if you are planning on going then, I'd go to Italy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megeve might come close but the "apres ski" probably wouldn't excite somebody who finds St Gervais dull and you can't guarantee skiing down to the village.

Mind you, if you call Morzine a "pretty village" then the list of potential candidates does get longer. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I expect its La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Clusaz does tick quite a lot of the boxes though having driven quite frequently through La Clusaz at different times of the season I'd say you can't guarantee being able to ski in/out. LGB wouldn't have enough bars and restaurants for someone who finds St Gervais too quiet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Risoul and Vars - not v close to Geneva though
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed not - some nice Italian options a lot closer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowymum wrote:
I expect its La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand

Yep
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby wrote:

Fly to Turin - Easy drive over Montenevre.

Why not Serre Che? although Risoul Vars has better blue run skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, +1 from Turin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
dobby wrote:

Fly to Turin - Easy drive over Montenevre.

Why not Serre Che? although Risoul Vars has better blue run skiing.

Was about to post the same - are you tied to Geneva? If not, fly to Turin and then you've access to Monty / Serre Che etc...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always amazes me why more don't do the Turin / southern French Alps resorts. Sooooo much nicer, friendlier, less developed and quieter than the northern French Alps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Always amazes me why more don't do the Turin / southern French Alps resorts. Sooooo much nicer, friendlier, less developed and quieter than the northern French Alps.

and cheaper!!
ski holidays
jamescollings wrote:

Nice village (pretty)

Many Austrian Resorts......but you did say France and near to Geneva so maybe a handful of resorts?

P.s I know this is no help but if country can be flexible then the rest of requirements are easily met, If a major hub airport like Geneva is a requirement (BA Air Miles etc) - then Munich would allow more choice and is also a major hub.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-10-15 10:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
and Turin airport is probably a bit less manic than Geneva on a bad day. Friends with an apartment near mine often fly to Turin because it's cheaper and not much further to drive - and that's the northern French Alps. From Turin to Albertville via the Frejus tunnel is a cinch.
snow report
Megeve?
snow report
@pam w, Have you ever been caught with the Frejus tunnel closing? IIRC Is was closed a few years agao for quite a while
latest report
@johnE, no, I've not been caught with it closed. I am not a very frequent user though - maybe 18 return journeys in 5 years.

The Mont Blanc tunnel was, of course, closed for many years after the fire.

I much prefer Frejus - the approach is easier, especially on the French side - that climb up across the viaduct to Chamonix and the slow trip up to the tunnel itself can be a pain.

Albertville also works better for me than the Chamonix side.
snow report
La Clusaz or Megeve
snow conditions
Quote:

Nice village (pretty)

Sounds like Austria! There are many places you could be talking about. Any of the big ski circus areas (ski welt, ski amade etc etc) offer more blues than you can shake a stick at and are based in real villages not concrete blocks, snow making/grooming is a national obsession so you will have good snow in Feb. Can't make it French though. Try Innsbruck or Salzburg flights and you have lots of options around an hours transfer, go to 2 hrs and Munich flights are ok too.

By the way beer is about half the French price! (or is that my excuse for drinking more of it!)
snow conditions
Doesn't the Frejus Tunnel cost an arm & a leg these days Puzzled
ski holidays
I think it costs much the same as MB. If you are a big fan of hot chocolate and reasonable lunches you might be able to save enough to pay for it. But not if you are a big beer drinker. And make sure you don't buy any fuel. But most Italian resorts are not for people looking for noisy apres ski (thankfully.....)
snow report
La Clusaz
ski holidays
Ski in/out not by any means guaranteed at La Clusaz, at 1100m. Got other things going for it though, and a decent mileage, if you do the bus to Le Grand Bornand.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy