Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near Tehran, Iran

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Work's sending me on a conference to Tehran in November and I was hoping to hang around for a few days after to do a bit of skiing.

I heard that the Dizin and Shemshak resorts are pretty good and offer decent off piste.

Is it true that the season runs from mid-November? I will be free to ski from 13th November.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Says here that Dizin is open from mid November:

http://iranskitours.ir/dizin-ski-resort.html

And good review of Iran here - albeit from a few years back:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/feb/24/iran.skiing

I'm sure I've read somewhere that independent travel isn't allowed and that you need to book via an official agent - like Iran Ski Tours presumably Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seperate Make & Female Lift lines
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been a few years since I lived and skied there but you might get enough snow in mid Nov for either resort. It's not guaranteed then. And if the resorts are open off-piste might not be possible until the depth increases later in the season. The average snowfall at the top of Dizin is 7 metres. !!!
Dizin is the bigger of the 2 resorts and is a north facing snow bowl. It can be approached by 2 ways - one of the roads goes past Shemshak on the way up to the top car park at Dizin (at around 11,000 ft !!!) If the road to the top is open (often closed by avalanche risk) it lets you park and buy the lift ticket with no (or at least shorter) queues. Then you ski down into the resort. At busy times in peak season, the parking, lift tickets and lift queues at the bottom of the resort can all be pretty timewasting. The lower approach road which is always open takes you to the bottom of Dizin resort at about 8000 ft.

Neither is really known for real off piste skiing but it does exist if there is enough snow and most of the marked/patrolled runs were left un-bashed when I was there.
Shemshak can get pretty mogully. AFAIK it really only has one chair lift and a few long runs. Dizin has 3 gondolas, a couple of chairs and a selection of Poma drags.

If your company have sorted out a visa to get you into Iran, then there is nothing to stop you hiring a car or a taxi to go to the resorts. About 2 hours to Dizin by the longer lower route. Just over 1.5 to Shemshak and if the road is open about another half hour to the top of Dizin.
The rented gear used to be pretty awful - if you can take your own with you, it will be worth it. The costs of day passes will be a joke by Western standards - equivalent of a few $ only.

The mountain just behind Tehran city is Towchal and is about 13,000 ft. The centre of the city is around 4,500 ft - so you can easily judge the bottom of the snowline as soon as you arrive.
Skiing on Towchal itself is not great and since it's south facing it's only really any good in mid-winter.
If you do get a slide in - enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a search on here for "Damavand" and and you'll find reports of ski mountaineering in Iran from the likes of weeSKI (photographer Henry Iddon) and offpisteskiing (instructor Simon Christy).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy