Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor Shadowing - Tips for newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Finally I got my act together and took my resit and passed my L1 boarding. Next up is the shadow hours which I plan to complete at Hemel. Any of you lovely peeps got any tips on shadowing? such as things to ask, things to avoid etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get experience with as wide a variety of different instructors (and if possible slopes/clubs) as possible.

Try to shadow lessons at all the different ability levels, but bear in mind if you do get into teaching you will likely spend most of your time with beginners on the nursery slope so being well prepared for those lessons is vital.

Don't be afraid to get involved, but obviously do what the main instructor asks you, and then ask questions about it afterwards. If something doesn't make sense to you, or differs from what you've been taught, ask about it. I find it surprising when I've had shadowers and asked them "what should I have done differently" or "what would you have done differently" and they almost always say "nothing". I'd quite like a bit of constructive criticism from someone who has recently trained as we all develop bad habits.

Ask the instructors if there is anyone they would recommend you shadow (though you might not always get the choice)

Try to enjoy it - it's hard work but you'll learn more about teaching than in the whole rest of the course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there is time during the session ask the instructor to explain what they are looking for, and what they are seeing. What are they looking for in their clients performance before they start to move them on in their skills development, and what they are actually seeing in their client's riding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've found it more beneficial to watch and listen rather than ask too many questions. That is best left for after the lesson. Some instructors will talk to you more than others during the lesson. The biggest thing to avoid is getting too involved unless you've been asked to. I'd also suggest taking notes either during the lesson or a soon as it is over. I've seen some very interesting drills only to forget them a couple of weeks later. That may sound a bit strange but I do recall thinging "That's good. I'll need to remember that one." Only to forget. Blush Blush Blush Blush Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And a more specific tip - when you're shadowing at Hemel you'll use one of their jackets, so you don't need to bring your own. Equipment rental staff will show you where to get one; they say 'Instructor Trainee' on the back. They are a bit pongy, unfortunately Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the input guys. Some really good points made. Will get my notepad ready!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've found a lot of my shadowing has involved taking part of the group and instructing - could be 1 person or a couple of people, all my instructors have said it helped a lot in the lesson as we can progress different levels within the same level. I've also stood there and helped people off the lift nearly all lesson with the odd bit of demo'ing or just explaining in a different way what the instructor wants them to do.

I'd start with adult lessons, Wednesday eve apres lessons are good, then once you've done a few of them, let yourself in for the kids on a Saturday or Sunday, prepare to be knackered after that, take snacks to have between lessons.

When I'm with the kids, I'm constantly chatting to them about anything, if I can make them laugh they usually have a good lesson, it's always good to hear "That was the best lesson ever" when they finish their final run Smile

I stopped taking my own skis, you might find you don't need them on for some lessons, and the kids just run over them, so better to use the snow centre skis, also I use their 150cm ones which are a lot shorter than my ski's and easier to demo on imho. I wear a base layer and a t-shirt, a lot of standing around in some lessons, but others you'll be running up and down the slope picking people up Wink

I started although haven't done it recently writing down what was done in the lesson when I get home.

Work with different instructors and different levels.

I'm hoping to get my hours finished this week...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Little Martin, Wednesday evening sessions sound good. My other half works late on a Wednesday so that would be a great time for me to get a couple of hours in. I'm in no rush to get them signed off so a few here and there could work well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Little Martin, @chrisrawles, is on a tea tray so Wednesday nights might not work for him. NehNeh

I think the tea tray lessons are on Monday or Tuesday nights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gaza, Tea Tray.......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy