Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do flight times change so much?

Poster: A snowHead
Why do flight times get changed so much and often after they are booked? When I book flights you look at the different airlines and flights on offer and part of my decision is price but the other part is the times of the flight. It almost makes me wonder if they do it deliberately to make a flight look more attractive to get the bookings them change it to more unattractive times once they have sufficient numbers booked knowing that you can't get your money back?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, you're talking charters aren't you? to make them look more attractive? possibly... also, they poss start selling holidays before slots are allocated / bought so they have no idea what the times are to begin with, in which case if course you'd start out with attractive timings wouldn't you?

haven't been on a charter flight in over 16 years so have no experience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty sure it's not a scam it's just the industry balancing allocated slots, fleet utilisation and crew rostering with route popularity. Book in advance and face the problem, book late less of a problem but probably pay more. Or take your business elsewhere and drive/train/teleport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess you mean charter flights. I would call it "consolidation". They advertise a lot of stuff, then adjust their supply to meet actual demand, and tweak the provision so they don't have flights which are running half-full. There are other obvious things they will do.

The alternative, which many of us use, is scheduled flights, which are mostly completely predictable, not always full, and therefore generally more expensive. You're trading cost for that herded cattle feeling.

I don't think it's "bait and switch", just a practice which keeps your prices down. You can probably buy package holidays based on schedule flights if you want. Pay money, make choice.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Referring to both my scheduled flights for February have just been changed so that we are now arriving there at 23:35 and get home 1hr 15mins later.

Had similar with charter so not referring to either specifically. Just wondering why there is so much change if it is devious.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name and philwig, not just charters.
Last year my BA flight to Lyon was changed to 4 hours later which made original train connection impossible.
This year had 2 Easyjet flight times changed: one from Toulouse to London, the other Luton to Edinburgh.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually I can't remember that any flight I've ever booked/taken has had the time changed (other than for delays for weather, volcanoes, etc).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happened to me several times. BA, Easyjet, American Airlines... Never an explanation, they just automatically book me onto the revised timed flight but give the option to cancel if I want. Not always been convenient.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My delta flights for Vegas have changed. Also BA for December
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monarch took the pee with us two years ago with scheduled flights. We booked to fly from Manchester about 7 months in advance of an Austria DIY trip - to find ONE of the flights was cancelled altogether about six weeks before departure.

Their offer was to swap the cancelled leg only(!!) to Gatwick; swap both flights to Gatwick; or give us a refund.

We went for the refund - and would never use them again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's not a scam it's just the industry balancing allocated slots, fleet utilisation and crew rostering with route popularity.

You're probably right, but when the only penalty is that they may lose a clients booking, there seems little incentive for them to care either way.

We are exhorted to 'book early to get what you want,' and then as @NickyJ, has said, the perception is that they (both carriers and TOs) can do what they want. (Could those here with legal knowledge explain why this isn't breach of contract.)

If these companies were obliged to find you another carrier to closely match your booked travel schedule, or were obliged to get you to your departure airport if they cancelled the return leg (on pain of significant fines), I don't think they would mess customers around so much........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fatboyski, I`d guess the legal out lies in the t&c! I wonder if you would have any redress if you made the times of the planes essential to your booking? Is there even a way of doing that?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think UANM and DOTM called it right straight away - its just a combination of flying charter and booking a long time in advance. I fly a fair bit, and they only airline I can recall moving my flight time were Monarch a couple of years ago. But I rarely book flights much in advance - 6 weeks at the outside. There seems little incentive outside of school holidays - I'm currently sat at Gatwick waiting to board a flight I booked 4 days ago for £44. It's full, too! I do appreciate NickyJ needs to travel in school holidays though... Nicky, have you ever thought about driving? Easy to do at Easter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, never happened to me, and I've mode frequent flyer miles than many, but then I never book flights very far in advance, which may explain it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find BA changes good. Twice they have cancelled or changed a flight date or time and its worked out in my favour. On the S11BB they paid for an extra nights stay in venice at the end of the bash as they put my flight back an hour. very nice indeed Happy
snow report
The cheapskates Irish airline did it to us for our summer holiday to Denmark - changed the return time by 3+hrs so we could cancel at no charge. Cancelling the holiday was not an option and their new schedule was not only at a better time but 80 quid cheaper for us all. Forgot to confirm the flight return change to the car park people so that was a pleasant couple of hours at Stansted while they dug our car out whatever far away field it'd be service parked in- not!
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Actually I can't remember that any flight I've ever booked/taken has had the time changed (other than for delays for weather, volcanoes, etc).

Same here, apart from the odd switch by about 5 or 10 minutes. It sure if that's because other people fly more than me, although I usually have 2 or 3 holidays in a year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy