Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Cable Car for the Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Just received an email from the Grand Massif (probably because I have been a season pass holder). My limited French suggests that there is some consultation of a new cable car to run from Magland over to the GM, I have also been invited to complete a questionnaire but I have not looked at that yet. I suspect that the route will run up from the valley to Flaine as a previous thread described how building materiel was routed to Flaine the same way. Anyhow, below is the main body of the mail for you to peruse, translate (please) and discuss.

"Madame, Monsieur,

Le département de la Haute-Savoie avec les communes de Magland, Arâches et leurs domaines skiables de Flaine et des Carroz (Grand Massif) envisagent la mise en place d’un téléphérique express pour relier la vallée (Cluses / Magland) au domaine skiable du Grand Massif.
Diminuer l'impact écologique, gagner du temps, éviter les routes enneigées, vous apporter du confort ! Voilà ce que nous vous proposons.
Merci de bien vouloir nous consacrer quelques minutes pour nous dire l’intérêt que présente ce projet pour vous, y compris si vous n’êtes pas encore de nos clients."
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I answered yesterday. not entirely sure what the point was. think gauging requirements for out of skiing hours service part of it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow

That is clever however where is everyone going to park. Makes the GM the closest to GVA apart from the Jura or poss la Clusaz.

Great plan, just wonder how much it will cost.

Andy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
But still not ideal for punter access really? Unless they're going to add transport options from the top station to shuttle to the various accommodation. Imagine getting dropped in foret when your accommodation is in front!?

Better for day trippers though, and the car parks between carroz/flaine seem busy on a weekend, might take some of those away.

Interesting though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would it be a continuous bubble lift from magland to flaine or would it have a mid station at Les carroz do you think? Atm I think that samoens has the fewest/fastest lifts over to flaine based on the satellite domains but maybe now les carroz will be faster? Or even magland itself?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freestyle a number of stops are planned, Les Carroz, La Kedeuse and la col de Pierre Carree on the way to Flaine. I have read (either in the survey or elsewhere) that it is designed to serve workers on the mountain as well as skiers. The plan is for it to run in the evenings, so definitely not just a skier facility.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Basil, They were felling lots of trees under the powerlines that use the old cable car pylons this summer. and they "lost" some the those very large trees that fell down the cliff onto the GR96 and blocked it, which was a pain, it is the walk that goes from magland via la collennaz up to flaine lake and beyond The old top station of the cable car is now part of the golf course.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rachelharrisonsmith, so you would have to get off at each of those stops you have listed? Do you think it will be a good thing for the GM?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Freestyle, I don't think so. They are just stops. If you want to go through to the end you just stay on the lift. Do I think it's a good thing? On the one hand it would reduce the amount of traffic using the road, which would make it easier for those that want to (or need to) drive. On the other hand, it could make the GM more popular for day trippers. There are times in the season when the lift system is already under strain due to the volume of people and this could make it worse. However, it could relieve the pressure on Grands Vans in the late afternoon (to get back to Carroz you could take the new lift) and would make it easier to get from Carroz to the Flaine bowl. If the proposed lift is not covered by the GM pass cost could be an issue.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There used to be a lift from Magland to the Col above Flaine near the Military base, in fact the buildings and the pylons are still there!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@freestyleas @chris masonsays, I think that there are pros and cons. From what I read about it (including on the original questionnaire, IRRC), the driver for this is to get commuters/workers up and down the mountain, though the obvious side effect would be more tourists. I have seen commentary suggesting that a 'freight' element to it would be useful, though I don't know if that is included in the current proposal. It's a long way to drive to work, deliver goods etc., so having read the background, it changed my perspective and made me think about it more positively than before (when I was thinking about me having to queue for longer!!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rachelharrisonsmith, yes absolutely re the queuing! It does seem like it would provide better services to those who work up the mountain and also better services for tourists as a result I guess. Do you know the timescale for a decision and if it goes ahead, when it will be built?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
COuld Carroz and Flaine become a "Car Free ZONE" during the Winter?

Now that would make for a very "interesting" proposition/development.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting looking through the comments from the Association Flainoise survey on the Funiflaine project (http://associationflainoise.fr/spip.php?article399#forum390):
- the Tourist Office is in favour
- it is designed primarily to increase day trippers (the head of the TO compares how an Annecy family would be better off in Flaine compared to La Clusaz)
- the TO see the added visitor numbers will help local businesses especially out of season
- they also think these visitors will produce more revenue to allow an expansion of the ski area (lifts between Flaine & Sixt?)
- roughly 40% are in favour, 40% against & 20% don't know
- the €85m funding is seen as the biggest obstacle
- apart from extra visitors the only other advantage seems to be the associated reduction in Carroz traffic
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It would be great to connect Sixt back to Flaine - great for summer and winter tourism! I've always looked out over great fields of snow going down Cascades and felt like it seems to have so much potential for new pistes but had been told that new piste opportunities have been exhausted and that everywhere isin the conservation area so no further expansion is possible.

Marcellus - if Flaine was car free and we super glued some wood cladding to all the buildings - wouldn't we have recreated Avoriaz?! 😂
latest report
Although less cars in the resorts would be great, there would be more cars on the A40 (Route Blanche). Better public transport from Cluses/Annemasse/Geneva/Annecy is the answer. The current level of public transport to the ski domain is derisory and self-perpetuatingly little used. Hopefully the new CEVA train link in the pipeline (but delayed) may provide the kickstart for improvements but I won't hold my breath - something that is perhaps advisable in the increasingly smoggy valley.
snow report
The potential for a Magland link crops up every few years with little happening in the past except for the odd meeting.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy