Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turning

Poster: A snowHead
I don't know if it is psychological, but I find it easier to turn left to right than right to left - does that make sense?!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, I presume you're right footed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, we all have one side of our bodies stonger than the other. One side for jumping off(Stronger) and one side for landing on(adaptive). The over/under use of this will have an effect on your skiing. The problem here is most often found in the hip joint. Maybe see a physio and check there is no blockege. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, have you had your boots fitted (more than just getting a shop selling you a set of insoles)?

(any half-decent boot fitter would know to start off by asking you questions about your boots before coming out with "answers") rolling eyes Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, yeh, that's normal if you mono-ski (water) you can get asymetric skis to counter the effect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, Could be and alignment issue

Bodies aren't symmetrical things and its quite possible due to slight differences in joint alignment both skis don't sit on the snow at the same angle. The main tool for adjusting this are the canting adjusters either single or dual on your boots, sadly a lot of shops don't make any attempt to set the cant when you they sell you boots and I spent 2 years falling off drag lifts because of it.

Interesting and relatively easy test (got it from a book).
Stand in your skis, (assuming you have your own) on a soft foam mat in your normal skiing stance. The foam allows the skis to take up their natural angle. They should be flat and level or slightly on the inside edge. To do the complete job measure the angles using small levels. You can make corrections with the canting adjuster on the cuff of the boot.

I should poit out before the flame starts that if you need to make large adjustments you may have bigger alignment problems than a simple cuff adjustment can cure and should seek more expert help,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even Bode Miller has admitted he turns better one way than the other. Powder 8 tracks from professional powder skiers are asymetric. Most skiing mistakes happen as a result of your weak side so this is the side to work on.

Of course if there is a massive difference then there could be something wrong with your equipment, your aligment and/or your technique.

Try to find a ski instructor who understands aligment issues and book a lesson with him/her.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
jb1970, have you had your boots fitted (more than just getting a shop selling you a set of insoles)?

(any half-decent boot fitter would know to start off by asking you questions about your boots before coming out with "answers") rolling eyes Twisted Evil

Yeah, send me x-rays of your feet so i can examine their bone density and progresive structuring. A tissue sample would be a help to so i can anylise your pressure resistance and circulation. Also a bi-opsy of tendon mass and ligiment elastisity should help me with remote analiysis. Otherwise, maybe to descuss this on the webb is a little subjective, really too complex, INMO, to speak having never had your feet between my hands. Otherwise please read my post above. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, I think you are just normal, unless turning one way is particulary weaker than the other, then no problem just be aware and work on it improve.
Show me someone who skis symmetrically?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Champoluc (Monterosa, Aoste, Italy) and we had a highly entertaining afternoon teaching (?) ourselves telemarking yesterday. All of us had good sides and bad sides. One of those things I guess. Quite normal to turn better to one side rather than the other.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, taught yourself? Sounds like fun to me, follows my reasoning that if i can ski well, therefore i can snowboard, monoski and telemark wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunk, worked for monoskis and teles, did NOT work (for me anyway) for snowboarding. Sad

Was a lot of fun. Still not convinced we weren't just alpine turning in a tele position!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, nearly everyone has a natural body dynamic bias . . . i.e. which foot did you use when sliding across an icy playground as a nipper, which foot do you kick with . . . etc.? It's down to the lump between your ears to find a way to balance them . . . or not wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, fine up to a point. but a fairly typical statement of someone who has a reletively neutral alignment and really can't understand what all the fuss is about because they can pretty get into any hardware and find themselves nicely set up from the word go because of the way they're constructed, unfortunatley we're not all in that middle section of the distribution curve of body type..

I'm not saying jb1970 has any real problems beyond the normal slightly favouring of one side but in principal, continually compensating for a problem that can be relatively easily dialled out will make the learning process tougher and ultimately limit what you can achieve.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rich, Interesting thought, though I have some small experience of working with physiological asymmetric people and as a result of injury, I've become one myself. I'll run with the argument that the first part of dealing with this issue is undertaken between the ears. Both as a matter of confidence and the need to understand the practical issues involved in your personal condition whether it's just an unconscious bias or asymmetry needing prosthetic stabilisation.
ski holidays
rich, As both myself and Masque, have stated we are all asysmmetric, however, yes in terms of skiing it is prefered not to be like this. From the feet up we can iron out the bio-mechanical cracks first with orthotics. Compensation can be made here to better align the skier. From here we adjust cuff alignment and finally binding alignment. For us, in resort, this is too carried out with a physio and kinesiotherapist and between us three we can hopefully bring along better balance and with it closer symmetry. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Its just a shame I didn't have this converation about 10years ago, could've prevented a lot of pain and frustration.
snow conditions
rich, Me too, i have a blocked right hip which has caused problems with my knee and strengthens my turning left.. I tried for years to correct this with my orthotics, only to discover through phisio my femur is mal-formed and requires constant exercise. Do i keep up with the exercises? Should perhaps do more. They say the 'most in debt are the best to ask for financial advice'. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rich, As both myself and Masque, have stated we are all asysmmetric, however, yes in terms of skiing it is prefered not to be like this. From the feet up we can iron out the bio-mechanical cracks first with orthotics. Compensation can be made here to better align the skier. From here we adjust cuff alignment and finally binding alignment. For us, in resort, this is too carried out with a physio and kinesiotherapist and between us three we can hopefully bring along better balance and with it closer symmetry. Twisted Evil

Thank you for repeating what I said earlier.
It's a shame that the first time I said it, you chose to turn it round and attack me for making the post.
snow conditions
Foxy, your a cock. Sorry can't be bothered. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
jb1970, You don't have such a big bias as to be a problem. Just normal preference - work harder on your weak side, and it will improve - I definitely turn better on my left leg than my right - as so many have said - it's just normal.
BTW everyone - he really doesn't have a monstrous problem!!
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy