Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Warth, Austria...what route?

Poster: A snowHead
hi,
We're driving to Warth, Austria and routes seem to converge on Memmingham, Germany.
Question is...from Memmingham is it a choice of A7 and West on B198 or A96 and East on B200 via Bregenz?
Are either of these routes closed winter time or have major disadvantages?
Thanks all
Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vell the lech warth road is closed during winter so you have to go via Dornbirn
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Oi Oi Savaloy,via Bregenz or Reutte.....dont forget your chains and winter tyres, its proper Alpine country. Lech to Warth is closed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Memmingham? Toofy Grin
Memmingen!

Memmingen>Bregenz/Lindau>Bregenzerwald>Hochtannbergpass>Warth (B200 indeed)
Not via Dornbirn, that's too far south already.

Be sure to take your snowchains!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took the via Bregenz option last year and stopped for half day in Damuels on the way. Roads good and clear, no traffic to speak of on a Saturday, although it was lowish season (last week Feb).
Get a set of winter tyres fitted... or fly to Friedrickshafen with BA or Monarch, then hire a car from Friedrickshafen.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
Memmingham? Toofy Grin
Memmingen!

Twin town of Birmingham, innit?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bob:
The last week of February is definitely no lowish season.
You have either just been lucky, or the weather was soso (making the Germans stay at home for the weekend), or you were driving later in the saturday afternoon

Oh, and Friedrickshafen???
It is Friedrichshafen.
Can the English at least make an effort to spell non-English words right?
Language-wise, the whole world is doing you quite a favour on a daily basis..... NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, Agreed......I'm there last week of February this coming season and expecting spring conditions I aren't! We were there last season same week and it was brilliant powder, best snow record in the Alps (awaits to be shot at), and its a VERY special place, just hope it stays like that and doesn't get too Anglicised......we walked the area in August spotting new OP lines for coming season, I'm genuinely excited about our planned week in February, and returning to the exploring we started last winter season and over the summer, this time in 6-7m of snow, topped off with 0.5m of deep fluffy powder Toofy Grin

If anyone ever asks - its a really lousy ski area, horrible scenery, really unfriendly locals, everyone speaks perfect English, the Lech link via the new Auenfelderjet is slow and always breaks down, the Lechtaler Alpen and Bregenzerwald roads are terrible and you'd never get in or out, avoid it like the plague..... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Langerzug, Agreed......I'm there last week of February this coming season and expecting spring conditions I aren't! We were there last season same week and it was brilliant powder, best snow record in the Alps (awaits to be shot at), and its a VERY special place, just hope it stays like that and doesn't get too Anglicised......we walked the area in August spotting new OP lines for coming season, I'm genuinely excited about our planned week in February, and returning to the exploring we started last winter season and over the summer, this time in 6-7m of snow, topped off with 0.5m of deep fluffy powder Toofy Grin

If anyone ever asks - its a really lousy ski area, horrible scenery, really unfriendly locals, everyone speaks perfect English, the Lech link via the new Auenfelderjet is slow and always breaks down, the Lechtaler Alpen and Bregenzerwald roads are terrible and you'd never get in or out, avoid it like the plague..... wink

warth reminded me of Glenshee for some reason. That would be if glenshee was higher and had decent uplift and.. but there was still something about it that felt like it..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mugen, I get what you mean about the remoteness.....but for me that's where the likeness ends! Toofy Grin

I've only ever skied Glenshee once, and that was in high winds, rain and mud-laden snow, with clapped-out lifts and huge queues, back in early 90's......I vowed I'd never return.....been good to my word ever since!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@mugen, I get what you mean about the remoteness.....but for me that's where the likeness ends! Toofy Grin

I've only ever skied Glenshee once, and that was in high winds, rain and mud-laden snow, with clapped-out lifts and huge queues, back in early 90's......I vowed I'd never return.....been good to my word ever since!

ach ya big girl Smile
yup glenshee is what it is.. on a good day (they have one every couple of years) it's great.. otherwise its.. interesting Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Langerzug wrote:
Language-wise, the whole world is doing you quite a favour on a daily basis.....

Not really. We are saving French school children from having to learn German.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug,
Quote:

and speak native language in resort.....I'm amazed how many people (including English, Dutch, Italians and French) speak English to the locals without an attempt at even a Danke, Bitte etc....at best its lazy, at worst its rude....... they'd go hungry in Warth that's for sure!!

@mugen, only joking (ish), but from North Yorkshire its not really an option.....on reflection its not actually really about the weather, if it was I'd go.....I'd rather a 2000 mile round trip though and get great snow than 900 or so and being forever at the back of the queue with crap snow, sorry mate! I know Scots can go at the drop of a hat, I can't so any plans made 3-4 weeks in advance would be highly likely a compromise when I got there....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:

and speak native language in resort.....

No problem in Val d'Isere as English is the native language.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@Langerzug,
Quote:

and speak native language in resort.....I'm amazed how many people (including English, Dutch, Italians and French) speak English to the locals without an attempt at even a Danke, Bitte etc....at best its lazy, at worst its rude....... they'd go hungry in Warth that's for sure!!

@mugen, only joking (ish), but from North Yorkshire its not really an option.....on reflection its not actually really about the weather, if it was I'd go.....I'd rather a 2000 mile round trip though and get great snow than 900 or so and being forever at the back of the queue with crap snow, sorry mate! I know Scots can go at the drop of a hat, I can't so any plans made 3-4 weeks in advance would be highly likely a compromise when I got there....

yup it's only an hour and a half from me but even then i leave it to the last minute. at night you hear about a big dump.. by time you get there it's all blown away, along with most of my ski gear.

i agree about people not trying to speak german, i've even tried austro-bavarian but my hoch-deutche is bad enough, it's also a language i really like.. better than poncy french Smile
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

and speak native language in resort.....

No problem in Val d'Isere as English is the native language.

val D has great skiing but really dislike the town and those in it.. well the ones i met.. ok ya!
snow report
mugen wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@Langerzug,
Quote:

i agree about people not trying to speak german, i've even tried austro-bavarian but my hoch-deutche is bad enough Smile

Haha proper Vorarlbergerish is hard enough even for native Tiroleans (and apparently vice versa - I was accused of having a Tirol dialect the other day!), so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Same with spelling place names - whilst it's Montafon on the map, all the shop signs etc spell it Montafu like the dialect.
latest report
@clarky999, Servus!
snow report
Tirolean varies slightly from valley to valley too! Takes a bit of getting used to, I worked in Salzburgerland last winter and really struggled to understand my Pongau colleagues when they were talking to one another, however I had a better understanding of the Tiroleans, despite not being a native.
ski holidays
I went into the VW dealer down in the valley from Damuls at Au. I tried in my best German to ask for a "Henchen" they just looked at me funny,,,
So I started doing my charades immitation of bugs bunny..
After a few seconds the storeman turned to his assistant and said..
"Give this guy a feckin Rabbit!"
Hey presto ... I now had a Rabbit badge for my GTI ... chuffed.

I love Bregenserwald
snow report
Quote:

and speak native language in resort.....I'm amazed how many people (including English, Dutch, Italians and French) speak English to the locals without an attempt at even a Danke, Bitte etc....at best its lazy, at worst its rude

My sister speaks fluent French (lived there for 3 years) and Italian but when she goes skiing, she gets sooooo cross Evil or Very Mad when she uses the local lingo and they reply in English!! They have just as much fun at our expense!
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Laughing
latest report
Langerzug,

You are quite right we should make the effort.
Thanks for your guidance and advice.

It was early Saturday 28th. Maybe I'm just lucky.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy