Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2016 - Montgenèvre / Milky Way?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We a thinking of going somewhere different for our Easter trip. What's the Montgenèvre / Milky Way area like at that time of year ?

What are the Italian side resorts like, any suggested resorts ?

Are they drivable from the UK, they look like just over the border but does that mean any mountain passes to get there?

Any suggested catered chalets ?

Lessons for kids ?

Mostly intermediates.

(previous trips in march have been to 3v's for comparison - don't mind slush in the afternoon, but morning would like some firmer ground to ski on)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Little Martin, If you mean the week beginning 26th March its usually good in the Milky Way and sometimes excellent. snowHead It probably takes a similar time to drive there as the Tarentaise resorts and is very straightforward if you take the Frejus tunnel route. The drive to Montgenevre from the motorway exit at Oulx is a very gradual climb with barriers - have done it by coach and taxi from the station in Oulx and never felt worried.

I would personally always choose to stay on the French side of the Milky Way in Montgenevre. You can ski Montgenevre and Claviere from there. I can't advise on catered options but there are some very nice self catering places with spas and pools. Both Apeak and the ESF ski schools are good there. If you are looking for a TO self drive package, I'd recommend Peak Retreats.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks, will do some more research
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My OH and I are big fans of Sauze and have been for the last few years around that time, the snow has been brilliant in the main but we have never considered driving from the UK...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In terms of driving, most of the milky way resorts are very easily accessible, just a short hop off the motorways and no scary switchbacks, just a few gentle zig zags.

Snow-wise, Easter is generally skiable, spring conditions of freezing overnight and slushy in the afternoon. Most of the full area will be open, unless it is a dire year for snow (fingers crossed).

In terms of resort choices, I'd probably chose between Montgenevre, which has easy access to Claviere while rest of milky way a bit of a trek on skis but often the best snow, or Sauze/Sestriere which have more mileage readily available.

I have a real soft spot for the milky way, and it doesn't get anywhere as crowded as 3v, etc. Lots of flattering, tree lined skiing, untracked off piste, yummy mountain food and hot choc stops, what's not to like?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carettam wrote:
In terms of driving, most of the milky way resorts are very easily accessible, just a short hop off the motorways and no scary switchbacks, just a few gentle zig zags.

Snow-wise, Easter is generally skiable, spring conditions of freezing overnight and slushy in the afternoon. Most of the full area will be open, unless it is a dire year for snow (fingers crossed).

In terms of resort choices, I'd probably chose between Montgenevre, which has easy access to Claviere while rest of milky way a bit of a trek on skis but often the best snow, or Sauze/Sestriere which have more mileage readily available.

I have a real soft spot for the milky way, and it doesn't get anywhere as crowded as 3v, etc. Lots of flattering, tree lined skiing, untracked off piste, yummy mountain food and hot choc stops, what's not to like?

Couldn't agree more....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy