Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best top to bottom in the world?

Poster: A snowHead
Quite a few resorts boast a big vertical but often it's not linked or there's a fair bit of poling, a small lift or long boring thin traverses.

I'll post this which, imho, battles with Revelstoke for the accolade but welcome other suggestions.
It's not just about long runs, it's about being wide, open and not too many people on it. Just one of those runs that are immeasurably pleasurable and you never want to end.

http://youtube.com/v/LH2ijquYnVo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger in Les Arcs (3250m - 1199m) can be good. Moderate black at the top, mostly wide open, then a bit of a narrower red piste for the middle section, then opening out to present a variety of options, bumpy red, easy access off-piste, winding blue, short steeper pitches, all relatively quiet as it's at one the end of the ski domain. Having said that, I rarely ski it top to bottom as some of the individual sections are far more enjoyable than the descent as a whole.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powder days at Nordkette when it's cold enough to snow to the base (800m). Start at 2300 with a 45° couloir, in the middle a more open powder field, then the lower half tight techy trees with pillows, drops, berms, banks and a few open shots, before you get onto switchbacks and/or mountain bike tracks to blast back to the lift.

Sooooo much fun when it's on!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Grave. Not a piste/run, but as a general top to bottom - awesome!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lindsey Vonn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you mean "resort runs which are particularly good because they pass through everything from Alpine through trees through the valley". I think you also need to start "at the top", so places where you can't sensibly do that don't count (eg Sache in Tignes is good, but you can't ride there there directly from the Grande Motte so I think it's out). If it's not downhill all the way then I'd rule it out completely.

Often getting consistent snow quality all the way down is an issue.

Some idle thoughts of places to consider:
  • Zermatt - from feeling quite high at the top (that used to be a snow plod climb) you drop through varied stuff and then at the bottom are all those restaurants. Constrast with Cervinia, which is also fun, but has very different characteristics and is a much faster ride.
  • Revelstoke.. well it's steep and big for where it is, but the bottom bit is a cheat and doesn't feel right.
  • Taos from Kachina.
  • Courchevel from somewhere at the top end down through the trees to the cheap seats.
  • Whistler Peak to Creek - that's one where a snowboard works well as the village level snow is generally wet.
  • Ishgl top to bottom. Feels big. Variety, speed, drunks to slalom around.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not one single piste but can certainly ski all the way with no poling or uphill:
Chamonix
Start top of Grands Montets 3275m
Point de View or Pylons (black) down to Lognan mid station
Pierre de Ric (red) down to Argentierre 1252m Giving total drop of 2023m

If you're including off-piste then Vallee Blanche is A du Midi 3842m down to Chamonix 1035m giving 2807m

One of my favourite Chamonix top to bottoms (off-piste) is Col du Brevent 2368 to Chamonix 1035 via Bozon Couloir giving 1333m of really nice skiing!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-09-15 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd give a vote to Bella Tolla - Prilet in St Luc, 3000 metres down to 1500, fantastic run from top to bottom, usually empty....oh, never mind, forget i said anything. Nope, definitely no skiing in Val D'Anivers, nothing to see, no point going, terrible swiss franc, stay away.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ Laughing Laughing That's just like the way Yorkshire climbers describe Yorkshire gritstone! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Schilthorn to Muerren? Or, in good conditions, Lauterbrunnen?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Honestly, Sainte Foy. Col de l'Aiguille down the Aiguille piste, then gunning it down the Arpette or twisty through the trees on Creux de Formeian, then down the middle to finish. Awesome all the way, super-consistent gradient, no flats to worry about.

Or, preferably, down Morion, over into Crystal, through the trees to the Green, cruise back to resort...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cervinia from plateu rosa to valtournouche. you do have to cheat a bit by getting a short chair Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
Honestly, Sainte Foy. Col de l'Aiguille dow))he Aiguille piste, then gunning it down the Arpette or twisty through the trees on Creux de Formeian, then down the middle to finish. Awesome all the way, super-consistent gradient, no flats to worry about.

Or, preferably, down Morion, over into Crystal, through the trees to the Green, cruise back to resort...

+1 (considering the main FR areas I have been to, also CH and some AT and IT that I have visited so far).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamonix gets my vote - start from top of Grands Montets and down to Argentiere, Pas de Chevres, although it's off-piste, is also great - I always liked that the route starts at one end of the valley and ends at the opposite side, though people with cars might have a different view.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh yes, I heard about this one Sainte Foy. Col de l'Aiguille dow..definitely smth to try out! Smile
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Lindsey Vonn.

haha, yes.

Mancuso for me.
latest report
Marmolada down to the chairlift that takes you back up over the pass to Arabba. The bottom section after that is just a flat run out through the trees but that run from top of Marmolada down to the rifugio damaged by the avalanche the other year (snowmaggedon) can be just beautiful.
latest report
1. Yad Moss (North Pennines), England Very Happy - just fantastic to ski back to the car on good snow in England.

2. Glencoe, Scotland - Top to bottom is rarely in season (bottom chair is usually just for access) - but when it is, it's epic - with some great steep lines to skiers' left.
snow report
The run from the top of Schindler down to Stuben
ski holidays
Quote:

Chamonix

Start top of Grands Montets 3275m

Point de View or Pylons (black) down to Lognan mid station

Pierre de Ric (red) down to Argentierre 1252m Giving total drop of 2023m

Yes, that's what I was going to say.

Quote:

Courchevel from somewhere at the top end down through the trees to the cheap seats.

Combe de Saulire, verdons, plantry, brigues to Le Praz is a good 1400m blast
Roc Merlet to 1650 is very nice 1100m too

Kicking Horse is a great top to bottom resort - one lift back to the top again.

Sulden Am Ortler 3250 to 1900m, particularly if you take the itinerary between about 2850 and 2200m for the middle section. You can also do it all off piste by going off the back
snow report
Also what about Alagna

Salati to Algana by the black then red 2950 to 1200
or better still off piste all the way from Punto Indren - 3250 to 1200 - that is a spectacular ski, very scenic and varied
snow conditions
Very interesting.

at my age you want it all the same gradient. not too steep so you don't have to bleed off speed. A run that's endless a d effortless.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, just for you:

http://youtube.com/v/merEfJu-Zxg
ski holidays
@jedster, ohhh, by the time you're past the top bubble station if you've been pushing it your thighs are burning just as you get into the sharkey hairpins Shocked
snow conditions
I've had a go on one those machines. It was brilliant fun.
Some instructors were trying to help me lose my 1980's slightly camp ski technique but I think the challenge was just too great for them....
snow report
The James Bond run.

Seceda to Oritisei, 10.5km allegedly, although it never seems that long. A superb run nevertheless. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
The James Bond run.

Seceda to Oritisei, 10.5km allegedly, although it never seems that long. A superb run nevertheless. Madeye-Smiley

Flat and dull (well the bottom half) - only reason to ski it is to go to my fave Dolomites restaurant, and to try and kill off a few :SH: on the way home.
snow conditions
[quote="bertie bassett"]
Mollerski wrote:

Flat and dull (well the bottom half) - only reason to ski it is to go to my fave Dolomites restaurant, and to try and kill off a few :SH: on the way home.

You're clearly not skiing fast enough, with enough pals trying get past you/have you off of your skis, or getting enough down you in the Coruna Hutte. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
La Grave. Not a piste/run, but as a general top to bottom - awesome!

This.

Whistler has some nice possibilities off the Peak (though the peak to creek runs can be tedious lower down).

Revelstoke can be marginal even through the trees down to the upper base so is a definite cheat.

Not many places in Europe feel like natural top to bottoms - I guess top tickets to Pierre a Ric at GM is a good workout.
snow report
Salati to Alagna is a fantastic spin and good one to time yourself on and try to beat record.

Grands Montets all way to bottom would be pretty damn hard without stopping.

Top of Zinal all the way down is interesting and definitely varied.

Aiguille Rouge probably wins in fairness though for sheer variety and sense of travel
latest report
@peanuthead, @rob@rar, Aiguille Rouge is only complete when Michel serves the complimentary Génépi in Le Ferme

http://www.restaurant-la-ferme.com/
snow conditions
How about this in bormio http://peaktocreek.it/en/ Last years best time 8km in 04:08. Anybody can enter and is is a realy fun day.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 24-09-15 16:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, Very nice, but I spotted 3 nice drinks stops that you flew past.
ski holidays
Agree; Schindlergrat-Stuben, and Schindlergrat-St.Anton (only somewhere between 10.30 and 11.30)

Zermatt: meh, overrated
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, Very nice, but I spotted 3 nice drinks stops that you flew past.

It's not my video, I' ve. Ever skied the run. In fact. I've only ever been to Bormio in the summer. Even then, though, I could see the potential for an amazing top to bottom.

I'm enjoying the responses. I'm looking for a really long, stunningly beautiful, wide open, quiet cruise rather than La Grave or something with really steep bits in. It"s not about doing it quickly either. It's about a lovely long relaxed, big sweeping tuns ski down an huge mountain.
Whistler does ha e a great top to bottom but the top is steep and the snow Sally poor low down.

I did the Ortisei run last year. it is amazing but quite busy, narrow and a bit flat in places. There's also Usually quite a queue at the bottom.

The top to bottoms at Civetta, where the pre BB bash is going are wide, empty and the prefect gradient for flattering skiing. It's only about a twelve hundred meter vertical though so I'm not sure they qualify as epic.
latest report
Quote:

I'm enjoying the responses. I'm looking for a really long, stunningly beautiful, wide open, quiet cruise rather than La Grave or something with really steep bits in. It"s not about doing it quickly either. It's about a lovely long relaxed, big sweeping tuns ski down an huge mountain.

There are a couple in 3V that are good like that – 2 of my favourites are (on a quiet day, no crowds):
1. From 3 Marches towards Les Menuires via allamands (red) going in to petits creux then boyes – the bottom blues are less fun, and a bit more crowded, but take you to a good selection of lifts to get you up high again. Proper big wide turns and a variety of (not too challenging) gradients up top.
2. Skiing down from 3 Marches into St Martin via grand lac, pelozet and biolley – all blue, lots of easy cruising, and when it turns into a bit of a path lower down, the scenery is still stunning every time you turn a corner, and you have loads of time to look around while travelling. @1300m drop all on blues, though no idea of the distance covered.
latest report
Quote:

+1 for Aguille Rouge, take the variant at the top and it is red at most, the capacity of the Ag Rouge cable keeps the crowds down as a lot of people take the various face lines.

For a slightly unusual top to bottom fest I spent one morning skiing all corners of Westendorf. There are four top to bottom runs on different sides of the mountain, each one is about 1000m vert or just under so not massive but they are all true continuous runs with no flats from top to village. First (before it gets warm/soft) the KiWest run towards Kitzbuhel. Then the blue 111 into the Windau valley and the red 11 to Brixen. KiWest and 111 are cruisy and head off into quiet valleys with great scenery, good variety of turns and gradients. 11 is a bit steeper but always well groomed and flattering if you fancy a bit more pace, the big swing turns into the trees at the top are particularly satisfying.

The final run to Westendorf itself (red 1 I think) is a path at the top and less interesting than the others lower down. It also gets busier but it is nice to complete the set in one session.
snow conditions
@Col the Yeti, Red 11 to Brixen is the site of my greatest ever crash - youthful exuberance and the lack of people on the slopes pushed me into downhill mode - I went way too fast into a compression, my backside hit the floor (I was in the tuck position Toofy Grin ) and I flew about 30 foot through the air. I had the biggest smile on my face as my mate stopped to see how I was. I have a photo to remember it by somewhere. Love that run.
snow conditions
@AthersT, I know what you mean, it sucks you into going faster when it is nice and empty, I was following a local ski club through the sweeps at the top and carried on trying to follow at their speed when they accelerated into the steep pitch. To quote Top Gun "Your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash" I got airborne on a bump. 300m of backside sliding later I still had a big silly grin. If we ski there I top to bottom it at least once everyday.
Never tried to do it in the tuck though Shocked Shocked
latest report
Quote:
I'm looking for a really long, stunningly beautiful, wide open, quiet cruise rather than La Grave or something with really steep bits in. It's not about doing it quickly either. It's about a lovely long relaxed, big sweeping tuns ski down an huge mountain
Oh, I see!!

First cable car of the day to the top of the Grande Motte Glacier, Tignes....1100 metres of groomed perfection await Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Wait much longer than early doors though and the Double M run (ie bottom part of the whole run) can get a bit busy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy