Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your top five apres ski bars!

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah I know, it's been done many times before - but not for a while, and some have improved, some have declined - and there are some new ones!

So let's have your top five apres spots, and where they are in order of preference:

1) Cocorico, Val d'Isere. Boy have they got it right! Superb.

2) Hinterhag Alm party, Saalbach. What Austrian apres is allllllll about.

3) Kitzloch, Ischgl. Brilliant fun.

4) Mooserwirt, St Anton. Amazing experience - and hilarious ski down afterwards! Legendary.

5) La Folie Douce, Val d'Isere. Just about makes it in for old time's sake. It's a spectacle if nothing else.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cafe des Pelerins in Les Pelerins. Also known as Chez Didier. Super bar. Reliability informed by Didier himself that his foreign (I.e. non French) custom was up to 10% in the winter of 2015. This consisted of me and number 1 son.

One night a Rolling Stones cassette was played quite loud, another night crisps were gratuit!

No English, no RAH's, a quite a few locals. Many nights I was offered drinks even after the 9:00 pm closing time. To list any more places would risk creating honeypots.

Living the dream, top that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St. Anton am Arlberg

Old Bahnhof ( train) station cafe. (Closed)

Ischgl

Cafe Christine (Closed)

Aspen

Little Nells (Closed)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even funnier than piggies. Goes on a bit but worth watching after 7 minutes. I was crying watching it. Just shows what happens when alcohol is 3 times cheaper than back home.

http://youtube.com/v/b8s8VsOvKUk
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MooserWirt - St. Anton, Austria
La Folie Douce – Val d’Isere, France
Trofana Alm – Ischgl, Austria
Rond Point – Meribel, Franţa
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any one which has snowHeads in it! Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergeralm Saalbach- the Apres there was just Shocked PLUS they have happy hour! Its a lovely long ski down after as well. Unfortunately we didn't get to sample the Hinterhag but thats on my list this year (Tatmans Tours, you have been warned! )

Dampfkessel Flachau- is always rocking BUT service can be very slow and it gets seriously packed. Major advantage is that its by the lift station so no perilous ski down in the dark after a few Jägertees.
La Folie Douce Val Thorens- real party atmosphere but lock up your skis and poles!
Londoner Kitkbühel-see Dampfkessel
Lisa Alm Flachau-more of a stylish evening, lots of really chilled hose music, I don't think I have ever heard any cheesy Apres there. On the downside it does get rather full of the Munich socialites and "it" people who think nothing of ordering a 1000 euro bottle of Champagne and acting like a horses ar $e.

Sorry I can't limit this to 5 Embarassed

Lürzeralm Obertauen-really stunning hut, always a good party, great mix of music.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nederhuette Obergurgl - this was a total shock. I dropped in to get out of Martian-like conditions and this place was pumping. Not a Mooserwirt for sure but expect a shock.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't been to 1 and 3 on your list but I heartily agree with 2,4 & 5 @HoneyBunny, so I may have to follow your lead and try them!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goaßstall Hinterglemm - get wrecked amongst the goats - surreal!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goaßstall for sure - like another Mooser.

Bauers in Saalbach also.

Spitzbub in Saalbach if you like Skandis.

Taps St Anton - is it still open?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bang Bar, Le Praz. Mutzig, cow-skin stools and Mutzig. That's all I can remember.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always loved the Chambre Neuf in Chamonix - granted it's incredibly expensive but I love grungey bars so it's right up my street.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kingofthec, +1

I don't think it's that expensive though - but i do avoid the beers, and stick to wine and the happy hour cocktails after the band is done.

Top night - i practically lived there the past 2 winters Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apres at Farinet in Verbier. Middle of town and a live band every night from around 5pm. It's a seperate bar attached to the building, atmosphere is so hot and sweaty that they slide the roof open every 20 mins or so to let the steam escape. The most fun you can have after skiing and nearly always leads to me missing dinner when in Verbier. usually also means I'm drunk and in bed by 10pm so can spring out of bed the next day for another huge ski...
snow report
Griabli in st Anton when the ccj's played was just awesome. Still great when the snowtones play but pretty lame without them.

Piccadilly in st Anton

Nikki's stadl in ischgl

Kuhstal in ischgl.

Mooserwirt but a bit of a cliche nowadays (and probably always was but I was too pished to bother about it )

Going to hinterglemm in January so will undoubtedly have a couple of more to add in Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Even funnier than piggies. Goes on a bit but worth watching after 7 minutes. I was crying watching it. Just shows what happens when alcohol is 3 times cheaper than back home.

Is that a David Cameron Joke?

Andy
snow report
Mooserwirt / KK - St Anton
Kuhstall - Ischgl
Goasstall - Hinterglem
Merlins - Blackcomb (best nachos ever!)
Max Pub - St Johann in Tirol
latest report
@Kingofthec, yep Chamber Neuf is a +1 jugs of beer cheap option if there are a few of you!

Also in Chamonix the Couleur Cafe, all French, Free Stuff, games and table service, super cheap as well.

Also the Pitch in St Foy, many a bad head day after a night in there!!!
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, you would LOVE Cocorico I think.

Ischgl generally is just an apres haven. I wish we'd got to Niki's Stadl while he was still alive, but the others wanted to go the Kitzloch on the last night.

A couple of people in this thread have put the Kuhstall on their list, but I didn't think it was that amazing - I thought the Trofana Alm was better, it's very like the Mooserwirt.

Also, the Goassstall in Hinterglemm wasn't quite as good last time we went, the music had changed. The view is spectacular though, I love that - and seeing the goats!

Agree with the Piccadilly in St Anton though, great bar. Preferred it to the Kandahar where Gunnar now resides (still?).

It's all about people's own opinions though, and it's interesting.
ski holidays
It may not be base station apres but the Einsiedelei up above Kitz has left me destitute of faculty on several occasions. When Gunther plugs the karaoke machine in, you just know you won't be adding to the first gondola congestion.
snow report
Mooserwirt, St Anton: For all the obvious reasons

The Ice Bar, Mayrhofen: On its day WAY rowdier than the mooserwirt

Microbrasserie, Chamonix: Small and a bit expensive but excellent beer (stout des Drus!) and a great atmosphere

Longhorn Saloon, Whistler: Totally manufactured wild west atmosphere but brilliant

Griabli, St Anton: Great when too knackered to fully enjoy Mooserwirt, enjoy live music and watch other people in the zoo instead
snow report
Am liking the prospects of the Bighorn Grill in Cham Sud. Totally manufactured chilled Wyoming lounge atmosphere but good craft ales...
ski holidays
anderoo wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Is that a David Cameron Joke?

Andy

I typed in Piggate but the iPad changed it. It is one of the funniest videos that I have ever seen though, even in comparison to all the pig stuff on Twitter over the last couple of days.
snow report
The Last Drop .. Revelstoke Goes on till about 2am (I think) with live music on Wednesday nights .. everyone in town is there having a good time.
The Londoner ...Kitz It seems pretty dull till you've had about 5 beers, then it sthe centre of the panic with endless old tunes.
Mooswerwirt .. Stanton It has to be done but the best bit is going home. Very rowdy and oompa
Folie Douce .. Val Thorens Not really that good but, if you get in the mood the music is very good.
Mont Fort .. Verbier I hope its still as good as it was, Lots of Rolling Stones which I love.

In no particular order
latest report
Underground - St Manton
Chambre 9 -Scandonix
Longhorn-WB
Folie Douche anywhere if that's your scene
Castilian - La Grave if you like a quiet beer after being epic
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Am liking the prospects of the Bighorn Grill in Cham Sud. ...

Cham Sud. It's nice down there, if you're into vomit, dog shiite and condoms strewn about the place. Confused
snow conditions
@Mollerski, well, you know, you say that, but... it seems to be upping its game. the Bighorn is really rather pleasant, well priced and totally not somewhere that's going to kick off.

next door, formerly SouthBar has somewhat reinvented itself.

ok, it's still Cham Sud, but if all the dodgy bars are departing, and there is a general movement (sic) up market-ish... I'm not complaining.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eta beta in folgarida..Only because it serves beer in giraffes although it could be more because it's the only bar...

Edelweiss in colfosco - don't expect a lot but it gives a passable impression of Austrian après and you get to ski home in the dark.

Las Vegas in San Cassiano - been the ruin of many a :Sh:
ski holidays
Cham Sud. It's nice down there, if you're into vomit, dog shiite and condoms strewn about the place. Confused[/quote]

You really should keep your missus on a tighter leash when you go out fella.
latest report
@under a new name, what's happened to SouthBar?! Has Claude moved on?

I'm sceptical about /bighorn Grill, but that's possibly just bad memories of the previous place.

Monkey Bar I'm a big fan of, dogshit less so (me and friends would tell people off last year, and got a lots of weird looks for it). Never seen a condom around there though.

@hollando, yep, I'm a big fan of MBC too - nice to chill out with a bit of beer tasting, and the food is very good pub food.
snow conditions
Surely Pano at Les2Alpes???

Folie Douce is shite. Overpriced and full of the 'gap yah' twits. Although the one in Meribel does a mean (but not inexpensive) roast chicken. Nom.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, wher is Cocorico in Val?
latest report
Krone Guesthouse, Unterjoch, Allgau! But that was in the 1980`s, looked much the same in the noughties but we only managed a quick lunch there having small children by that time!
snow report
Rishie wrote:
@HoneyBunny, wher is Cocorico in Val?

It used to be Le Chalet, just up from the Solaise lift at the bottom of the nursery slope, but it has reinvented itself with a terrace outside. They have bands on daily, followed by a DJ and it's brilliant.

The only downside is, it's packed!!

http://youtube.com/v/7O1hpS5ArcE
snow conditions
Quote:

Las Vegas in San Cassiano - been the ruin of many a :Sh:

Love it - spacious, not too noisy, nice staff, excellent prosecco and a brilliant (and safe, assuming you don't wait until it's pitch dark) run home.
ski holidays
Quote:

Folie Douce is shite. Overpriced and full of the 'gap yah' twits

Hear hear
latest report
@Kooky,
Quote:

Bergeralm Saalbach- the Apres there was just PLUS they have happy hour! Its a lovely long ski down after as well. Unfortunately we didn't get to sample the Hinterhag but thats on my list this year (Tatmans Tours, you have been warned! )

Looking forward to it! In over 30 years of skiing most of the big name European resorts, I never found anywhere to match the Hinterhag Alm, but it can be hard core on a busy night, and I've known people to make a swift exit within 30 seconds of entering (including, if I remember rightly @HoneyBunny, on her first visit). I think it can be a shock initially, but the place exudes an insidious charm if you can only hang in there for the first 15 minutes or so. Then you realise that it's all a bit nuts, and that you're part of it. (Glad you enjoyed the Bergeralm, by the way!)

Incidentally the Hinterhag Alm has been going strong since 1976 - the owner, Evi Fersterer, has been chucking her stick-on hearts over the balcony ("Evi's Herzeltanz") every evening of every winter since since 1976, and the band leader, Josef Solar, has been whipping the adoring throng into a frenzy for around 35 years (I must ask him how long it's actually been, but he was certainly singing many of the same songs, with the same amount of gusto, when I received my Hinterhag baptism in 1988.) That is, for at least 3 hours every evening of every winter season for around 35 years (if not longer), and in my experience he still manages to inject the same amount of unflagging energy and enthusiasm all through the season - he must run on Duracell batteries!

I agree with @HoneyBunny, that the Goassstall has gone down the pan a bit, compared with what it used to be like a few years ago - maybe something to do with the enlargement of the standing area under the big umbrellas, the erection of that gift shop eyesore (partially obstructing the view), and the choice of music on some nights. I've heard that the relatively new Schwarzacher at the bottom of the floodlit piste is worth a visit, but I don't know if it is a serious rival to the Goassstall. I note that no one has mentioned the London Pub/Tanzhimmel or the Hexenhaeusl, both also in Hinterglemm.

@clarky999, I agree that both Bauers Schialm and the Spitzbub are worth a mention - catch them on the right night and you need look no further (and many people don't!) The great thing about the locations of the Bergeralm, the Hinterhag, Bauers and the Spitzbub is that you can ski from the first to the second to the third, and then cross the road to the fourth - if you have the stamina for such an epic apres-ski crawl. There's a challenge for you @Kooky, !!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Super Steezy, see my comment above. We hadn't been there for about 5 years until a couple of weeks ago and it's definitely better than I recall. That said, it's not the height of Scandi winter. We found the Bighorn to be great.

@fixx, No idea just what has changed at South bar recently (having not been there in 5 years...) but it's now proposing itself as a burger bar and according to BiL they are rather good (he lunches there quite often).

Bighorn has been under completely new "Franco"-American ownership for only about 3 months now and it all seems good. We've been twice now and very pleased - not the largest portions in the world, e.g. as you get at MBC but as I invariably leave about 30% on my plate there, I'm not complaining.

Surprised OH and her sis that one of the owners speaks perfectly Parisian accented French despite being American.
ski holidays
@under a new name, aha, few recent changes then, phew. Claude (a frenchman) bought it from the previous scandi owners about 4 years ago now i think, and it's been slowly transforming itself into a quieter more chilled place for the locals (French, and those cham sud seasonnaires wanting something more relaxed) since then. Claude is a big sports fan, so it's a great place to watch your favourite match as he'll happily have 3 different things on the 3 screens on request, and he's obsessive about his food - the houseburger is the best in Cham in my opinion. Not the party scene it used to be, but rather nice and relaxed now (plus an underground party on Sundays, very French).

I'll be back in Cham for 2 weeks over NY and after, so will have a look at Bighorn, pleased there's a good choice in the square.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy