Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should a national snowboard club be saying this sort of stuff?

Poster: A snowHead
I've plenty of time for SCUK (Snowboard Club UK) but ... as a fellow snowHead pointed out the other day ... they're deploying some amazingly xenophobic language to describe their hosts at their 'Winter Bash' in Alpe d'Huez later this month. Is this an intelligent thing for a UK boarders' club to be saying about a host community?:
Quote:
... you cannot deny the thing that makes ours a sport of breath-taking beauty is the normal location for our sport to take place, the mountains. And unfortunately, this brings us in to close proximity with our Gallic, garlic munching chums.

Quote:
Whatever you say about the mollusc eaters, they do have some of the most amazing snowboarding on offer ...

Here's the source of the quotes.

Do Anglo-French relations matter?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously returning Jacques Chirac's insults on the subject of British cuisine. I'd have thought that would have more of a deleterious impact on Anglo-French relations than the SCUK outpourings, but then Tony turned round and offered Jacques a spare couple of billion to keep quiet, so who knows?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And they get tetchy when we skiers give 'em grief for snowboarding. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the French folks I've ever known have rather enjoyed swapping 'insults' about frogs legs with us 'Rosbifs'. But then maybe they had a sense of humour? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, To answer your question ... NO

I suspect PG . Easiski would be willing to support me in the arrangement of a blockade at all points - of -entry for such tossers to be permanently excluded from France.

While it may be acceptable at a personal level for peeps to engage in 'country/Frog/bashing' - and yes, The french enjoy a bit of repartee as well ! - for a 'voice' to engage in it is 'unacceptable '. I empathise with all Boarders who think that their 'National Club' is sponsored by The Sun and are acutely embarrassed. Then again I hope this pillock does not genuinely represent his/her membership.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the French were so bad they would go elsewhere wouldnt they ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
come on.. this is the french we are talking aboiut here.. its not like they own the mountians, they just look after them for us (and lots of those euro thingys) wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty tame for them I reckon when you look at some of the stuff they talk about in the Forums
Take this for example

I think the appeal of SCUK is limited mainly to teenagers. Most seem to migrate to Ad Trips after that.

Anglo-French relations have never seemed to matter to the French that much IMHO.

Oh, unless they are being invaded of course. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think some people just like conflict, the internet makes conflict safe, no chance of getting your head kicked in!

best bet is to ignore em. that way your blood pressure stays down Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garlic-munching mollusc eaters? "Amazingly xenophobic"? You're kidding, that's about as tame as it gets! I can't think of a single Frenchman (or woman) that I've met would do anything but laugh at both descriptions, coming as they do from the rosbifs, who are of course renowned for their haute cuisine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I quoted the sentences in full because they seemed to convey an arrogant disdain for a village community. The phrase "And unfortunately this brings us into close proximity ..." seemed to reinforce the syndrome of 'British arrogance abroad'.

It seems a bit backward and depressing for a (nationally representative?) sports club to be making derogatory remarks towards our European neighbours.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-01-06 19:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, dont forget kebabs !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The Germans are German
The Russians are Red
And the Greeks and Italians
Eat garlic in bed"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The British are British
What more can be said.
They boil all their food
Then McDonalds instead!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
Garlic-munching mollusc eaters? "Amazingly xenophobic"? You're kidding, that's about as tame as it gets! I can't think of a single Frenchman (or woman) that I've met would do anything but laugh at both descriptions, coming as they do from the rosbifs, who are of course renowned for their haute cuisine.

I would advise any SCUK member to be very careful before telling a French waitress "j'ai envie de manger tes moulles ce soir"; and whatever you do don't follow it up with tales your boarding prowess in the "pipe". Shocked
latest report
Quote:

I think the appeal of SCUK is limited mainly to teenagers. Most seem to migrate to Ad Trips after that

errrr the SCUK was bourn out of Ad Trip forums/The Border.

Do you guys who find that offensive ever step foot outside your door steps.................... rolling eyes
snow report
Dan wrote:
Do you guys who find that offensive ever step foot outside your door steps.................... rolling eyes

Yes ... even outside the UK, hence the concern.
ski holidays
Shocked Shocked Shocked

so did it not even make you smirk? come on be honest, surely it didn't shock you to your core or am i just not reading into it what you are?
snow report
Dan, Sorry Dan, I can honestly say it did not make me even titter! You will have to take my word for the fact that I find everything in life a bit of a laugh and a joke but editorial like that is ....frankly..... crap! Shocked to the core ? No! Just embarassed at the puerile nature of the author !
snow report
Acacia, "The English, The English, The English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!"

A Song of Patriotic Prejudice - Flanders & Swann Very Happy
snow report
eEvans, furry muff, I appreciate your point of honesty! Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
I'm very proud of my country but the actions of a certain minority in this country (especially abroad) fill me with despair. The comments in question are an example of this basic racist, xenophobic crap that people somehow need to define their own nationality.

Britain has a history of (relative) tolerence towards other cultures and nationalities and I believe comments like this ill judged neanderthal knuckle dragging nonsense only seek to undermine this.

One of my friends is French, I have shared a house with a German, my Grandad married a Belgian, I have been all over Europe (skiing and not skiing) and to the US and I have found that people generally treat you as you treat them. Be honest, how would you feel if thousands of foreigners decended on your home patch every year, drank themselves silly, caused damage, vomited everywhere and into the bargain regularly insulted you and your nation. Me? I'd be pretty pi$$ed.

Frankly I believe the people who work under those conditions must be saints (or incredibly thick skinned) and it is our duty as responsible tourists and, yes, representatives of our nation to show respect and courtesy whilst we are guests in other countries.
ski holidays
hear hear.Civilserpent, well said
snow conditions
oh dear-you are taking this way too seriously. The french do joke about the english on occasion too you know. Its just that-a joke (unless your name is Le Pen)
Monique
snow report
There is the suggestion here (eg eEvans) that derogatory remarks about the French are alright in private but not in Public. I find this hypocrisy disturbing. Either these comments are disturbing, or they are not. Why should where they are said have any bearing on the matter?
snow report
Jonpim, I did not say (or mean to say) that xenophobia is OK in private. Your inference that I indulge some kind of underground racist culture a la KKK is way off the mark! I meant - and hopefully wrote - that jesting between individuals is OK (when it can be more easily interpreted as such) whilst public xenophobia from 'responsible' bodies is not.

Sorry if this 'disturbs' you. Please don't lose too much sleep
Sad
latest report
It's all tongue in cheek. Whilst we may extract the michael out of the French, we love them really. In fact we're supremely jealous. Great surfing beaches (many of them strewn with naked bodies) and great mountains (many of them strewn with something even better - reliable snow). Heck, even their McDonalds milkshakes taste better than ours.

I'd hope the typical French person seeing this would laugh and give some back. We're not the Ski Club FFS Smile

For the record, the average age of SCUK Members is 28. Mental ages I can't give you, but I'd hope they were much lower.
ski holidays
Cheeky boy

Bienvenue a neigeTetes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy